Nah
That sounds really good. Then from there could I transition into a full-time position for that particular role, or would I have switch/apply/bid for a normal delivery driver? It is advice like this that can make the difference in having a successful career, I am not lazy by any means, I am a hard worker and don't mind doing so, but if there are more "cushy" opportunities with a high rate of pay and less stress well by all means I am for it. I am looking for the highest rate of pay possible (of course), and a generous pension (as close as I can get to $4000 - $5000 per month) at the end of my career with UPS, I am determined to do what it takes to make that happen.

I plan on completing a minimum of 25 years of service and retiring at 65, with that being said I need to navigate the most realistic course to make that a reality. If anyone has additional input on pension payout vs years of service, as Hondo said from a previous response it can get complicated. I did mention my intentions in regards working at UPS and becoming a driver, as well as the 25 years of service and the age I plan to retire to a Teamsters business agent, he said I would be fine, he couldn't quote exact numbers because of the calculations involved but based on what I was telling him he said I should be able to get around $5000 per month. Does this number sound realistic or inflated? I always thought there was a basic dollar amount when calculating a pension based on your total years of service (ex. $150.00 per year credit x 20 years of service = a $3,000 pension check per month). From the way it sounds it may be more complicated that, seems like your age and other factors play a role in pension amounts.
Don't listen to anything @PT Car Washer says. He's jaded at the union and the company, and lives in the past.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
With the 4 year progression (increased from 2 years in the 2018 contract) it's not until you get 3 years seniority that the PT air driver pay rate pulls significantly ahead of the (new) inside PT rate. And PT air drivers are typically held to the guarantee of 3.5 hours/day (in the upcoming contract) whereas inside PT often work more than that-but that may or may not be true at your location. If you did try for PT air driver (assuming there even is an opening) you could try to get extra work inside before/after your air driving, but truth be told they won't make it easy for you, and that's where/when a lot of payroll errors start showing up. Best of both worlds where I am was to work inside M-Fri, then Sat only as a PT air driver (if that's offered/available); until you got to a big pay bump for PT air driver. But with the onset of Mon-Sat FT drivers, they've really tried to cut back on PT air drivers.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
New contract PT wage schedules:
Seniority |inside |PT air driver
Start. $21.00 $23.00
12 mos. $21.50 $24.00
24 mos. $22.00 $25.00
36 mos. $22.50 $29.00
48 mos. $23.00 $41.44(as of 01 AUG 2027)

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
As far as the pension goes, the biggest factor to get to your goal would be how long it takes to become an actual FT driver (or if you can work enough hours while PT that you will accrue nearly FT benefit levels- it looks like 2,080 hours is the magic # ). That is where the 'Cover' driver position might be advantageous.

PT Car Washer

That sounds really good. Then from there could I transition into a full-time position for that particular role, or would I have switch/apply/bid for a normal delivery driver? It is advice like this that can make the difference in having a successful career, I am not lazy by any means, I am a hard worker and don't mind doing so, but if there are more "cushy" opportunities with a high rate of pay and less stress well by all means I am for it. I am looking for the highest rate of pay possible (of course), and a generous pension (as close as I can get to $4000 - $5000 per month) at the end of my career with UPS, I am determined to do what it takes to make that happen.

I plan on completing a minimum of 25 years of service and retiring at 65, with that being said I need to navigate the most realistic course to make that a reality. If anyone has additional input on pension payout vs years of service, as Hondo said from a previous response it can get complicated. I did mention my intentions in regards working at UPS and becoming a driver, as well as the 25 years of service and the age I plan to retire to a Teamsters business agent, he said I would be fine, he couldn't quote exact numbers because of the calculations involved but based on what I was telling him he said I should be able to get around $5000 per month. Does this number sound realistic or inflated? I always thought there was a basic dollar amount when calculating a pension based on your total years of service (ex. $150.00 per year credit x 20 years of service = a $3,000 pension check per month). From the way it sounds it may be more complicated that, seems like your age and other factors play a role in pension amounts.
Transition is not the right word as you would still have to have enough seniority to win the opportunity to attempt to qualify for a FT delivery driving position. But you would have a much more experience then someone who has only worked inside.

lasveagsups

You're getting way ahead of yourself

First you got to qualify and secondly you got to see if he actually want to do this job

As far as the pension goes that $185 amount is for full-time employees
Good luck to you
I don’t consider it getting ahead of myself. I’m trying to see if I want invest my time and my life working this job, I’ve done this type of work before, so it’s not really new to me, and the only reason why I want to do it is because of all the benefits and the pension, if I were to find out none of that stuff applied or it wasn’t available I wouldn’t be doing the job.

I don’t consider it getting ahead of myself. I’m trying to see if I want invest my time and my life working this job, I’ve done this type of work before, so it’s not really new to me, and the only reason why I want to do it is because of all the benefits and the pension, if I were to find out none of that stuff applied or it wasn’t available I wouldn’t be doing the job.
You never worked for a company like UPS.

lasveagsups

As far as the pension goes, the biggest factor to get to your goal would be how long it takes to become an actual FT driver (or if you can work enough hours while PT that you will accrue nearly FT benefit levels- it looks like 2,080 hours is the magic # ). That is where the 'Cover' driver position might be advantageous.

he position 4:30 to 10:30
You never worked for a company like UPS.
I understand what you mean in that aspect, it seems like the pay you earn you have to really fight for it.

lasveagsups

I hear you there, when I applied it says the position is from 4:00 PM to 10:30 PM, again that’s just what the application stated for the position and that was Monday through Friday, so yeah getting to that magic number is crucial.

PT Car Washer

I hear you there, when I applied it says the position is from 4:00 PM to 10:30 PM, again that’s just what the application stated for the position and that was Monday through Friday, so yeah getting to that magic number is crucial.
4PM to 10:30PM is just a ball park number and true only during Peak. You may start as late as 6PM and sent home after 3 1/2 hours or earlier if they can get away with it.

lasveagsups

Don't scare him. You know as well as I do a PT employee has to be really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really bad to not qualify if they do the bare minimum and show up every day.
I worked at FedEx as a load-side package handler, honestly the work to me is easy, of course it is physical job. I can deal with the heat as I am born and raised in Las Vegas, our winters aren’t too cold and love the cold anyways.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Do you agree that PT air drivers will receive the up to $1.50 longevity raise on top of the $2.75 raise?
Just checked it. According to the examples shown on the official IBT/UPS Teamsters app, the longevity raises do apply to PT air drivers. Not sure the company will agree (I haven't looked at the actual Article 40 changes), but that is what the app clearly shows).

PT Car Washer

Just checked it. According to the examples shown on the official IBT/UPS Teamsters app, the longevity raises do apply to PT air drivers. Not sure the company will agree (I haven't looked at the actual Article 40 changes), but that is what the app clearly shows).
Does the app show if they apply to red circle PT? Hired before 1982.