lasveagsups

4PM to 10:30PM is just a ball park number and true only during Peak. You may start as late as 6PM and sent home after 3 1/2 hours or earlier if they can get away with it.
Yeah I kind of figured that, whatever they want it give me I’ll take. I’m trying to get that money. I know when I become union I will studying that contract like I am taking the bar exam.

PT Car Washer

Yeah I kind of figured that, whatever they want it give me I’ll take. I’m trying to get that money. I know when I become union I will studying that contract like I am taking the bar exam.
You are still going to need a FT job to go along with UPS PT job. Most employers when they hear you work PT for UPS will hire you on the spot for the reputation of only hiring hard workers. Little do they know.

BobJ

I don’t consider it getting ahead of myself. I’m trying to see if I want invest my time and my life working this job, I’ve done this type of work before, so it’s not really new to me, and the only reason why I want to do it is because of all the benefits and the pension, if I were to find out none of that stuff applied or it wasn’t available I wouldn’t be doing the job.
This may not be the job for you.

The western region pension is based on hours worked. The peer 80/84 requirement only matters for eligibility to withdraw. Currently, to get your $5k/month, you have to work over 35,000 hours, or 17 years full time, with a 2080hr per year cap.. (this changes, up or down, for each contract)

Look Into how long it takes to become a FT driver. It varies per center. Most are laying them off.

Your plan requires that you get a position that provides 2080hrs/yr of work within the next 5yrs, then stay for another 15yrs.

It's possible, but going to be difficult to pull off.

You say that your plan is work another 25yrs, but will your +65yr old body cooperate?

Last edited:

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Does the app show if they apply to red circle PT? Hired before 1982.
It doesn't show red-circled PT at all in the examples I can find. And are you asking about red-circled PT working as a PT air driver (Article 40), or in the assigned PT job, or ???

There is a "wage calculator" feature in the app (for PT, non-air driver, non-mechanic). It asks for current wage, and it does add the $1.50 longevity raise when I put in a ballpark figure for current wage and enough years to be red-circled.

BobJ

You are still going to need a FT job to go along with UPS PT job. Most employers when they hear you work PT for UPS will hire you on the spot for the reputation of only hiring hard workers. Little do they know.
This is usually the reason new hires quit. Their other job is easier and gives them more hours.
OT does count, it's the first 2,080 in a year, not 2,080 regular-time hours.
Worded it wrong. Changed it to a cap.

Just wanted to emphasize that you can't make-up those lost hours while working Part time once you hit FT. Hitting 3k hours in year 10 does not erase the deficit of working 1k hours in year 1.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

It doesn't show red-circled PT at all in the examples I can find. And are you asking about red-circled PT working as a PT air driver (Article 40), or in the assigned PT job, or ???

There is a "wage calculator" feature in the app (for PT, non-air driver, non-mechanic). It asks for current wage, and it does add the $1.50 longevity raise when I put in a ballpark figure for current wage and enough years to be red-circled.
Assigned Inside PT job. Union local says I am entitled since it is a longevity raise and not a catch up raise as described in a contract several (or more) years ago. Thank you for looking.

BobJ

I know when I become union I will studying that contract like I am taking the bar exam.
This will depend on the local union rep.

I've had grievances dismissed with the explanation that it's not what the contract says, but "how we (union/ups panel) interpret it."

I've accepted that my local makes deals to help some members to the detriment of others. ie; give DUI drivers a combo to save their jobs, and bypass the bidding process.

lasveagsups

This may not be the job for you.

The western region pension is based on hours worked. The peer 80/84 requirement only matters for eligibility to withdraw. Currently, to get your $5k/month, you have to work over 35,000 hours, or 17 years full time, with a 2080hr per year cap.. (this changes, up or down, for each contract)

Look Into how long it takes to become a FT driver. It varies per center. Most are laying them off.

Your plan requires that you get a position that provides 2080hrs/yr of work within the next 5yrs, then stay for another 15yrs.

It's possible, but going to be difficult to pull off.

You say that your plan is work another 25yrs, but will your +65yr old body cooperate?
Body cooperate, that’s yet to be seen but I totally have thought about that :-/. I spoke to a driver the other day and he said they are going to be needing drivers, obviously other people will be selected before me if this is true. It seems that a lot of people have a different perspective depending on the location they work at. Wether or not it’s full-time I don’t know.

It seems like to become a driver in Las Vegas happens rather quickly if you work hard and stick it out.

Based on the information you have provided I can see and understand your point.

Commercial Inside Release

Sure looks like new air driver positions are a thing of the past. UPS hasn't advertised for air drivers anywhere for about a year. Prior to that, they were only hiring air drivers in select areas -- mostly the central, some in Texas (red river), a few in the west (Seattle & Portland.)

And, PT Carwasher you should not listen to on this subject. The days of making $90k as an air driver are over. Management will almost never let you deliver ground now, and they will keep you close to your minimum guaranteed hours (probably 20-25\wk.) They're grinding out the air drivers where they can.

Since FedEx is doing away with Express, UPS usual follows and is going to put all the air work on ground drivers.

PT Car Washer

Sure looks like new air driver positions are a thing of the past. UPS hasn't advertised for air drivers anywhere for about a year. Prior to that, they were only hiring air drivers in select areas -- mostly the central, some in Texas (red river), a few in the west (Seattle & Portland.)

And, PT Carwasher you should not listen to on this subject. The days of making $90k as an air driver are over. Management will almost never let you deliver ground now, and they will keep you close to your minimum guaranteed hours (probably 20-25\wk.) They're grinding out the air drivers where they can.

Since FedEx is doing away with Express, UPS usual follows and is going to put all the air work on ground drivers.
I agree they have been cutting air driver jobs in my building and turning them over to FT delivery drivers. Then they have to cut delivery drivers stops down and give them to another driver and then those drivers are over 9.5 so they need to hire an air driver to pick up the slack and it's an endless circle. I have been through these cycles many times. The more things change the more they stay the same. 20 to 25 hours a week is over $50k/yr with the new contract.

Nah
Why would I be "jaded" (whatever that means) at the Union that gives me the opportunity to make $90k/yr at a PT job? Plus 7 weeks vacation a year.
Because you always complain about what PTers are making now. You're always boasting about what you're making because that's how it used to be. Because I often see you complain about how supervisors are allowed to work in your building with no consequence. Because you generally don't seem to trust your local union at any level.

That's just what I've observed. I'm reading in between the lines, but it seems like you're jaded to me. Guess I'm wrong? Whatever.

Commercial Inside Release

Then they have to cut delivery drivers stops down and give them to another driver and then those drivers are over 9.5 so they need to hire an air driver to pick up the slack and it's an endless circle. I have been through these cycles many times
Well PT, I think your constant mantra (bragging) has made a permanent difference. All of UPS searches and reads this site, and plenty of the guys on this forum you have pissed off, have slowly changed the air driver position into extinction.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Unfortunately your a little late to the package handler and package car game being close or over 40. If you are going to give it a go you might want to look into feeders as a option. I know a lot of drivers that started in their 40s and tell me they don't plan on staying close to a full pension with the way their body has held up. Good luck and don't believe the hype of us making 170k unless you go into sleepers.

PT Car Washer

Because you always complain about what PTers are making now. You're always boasting about what you're making because that's how it used to be. Because I often see you complain about how supervisors are allowed to work in your building with no consequence. Because you generally don't seem to trust your local union at any level.

That's just what I've observed. I'm reading in between the lines, but it seems like you're jaded to me. Guess I'm wrong? Whatever.
I know I am an embarrassment to both the company and the Union because of the PT concessions through the decades. Don't blame me. Blame the company and especially the Union for allowing it.

toombi

When I was hired to the preload in 2020, I was given a "New Employee Information Packet" in which the terms of my employment were layed out. Once you finish your probationary period you are legit. Here is some of the information my particular packet outlined:
"Probationary Period:
There is a 70 day probationary period (working days not calendar days) during which time, your management team will assess your work ethic and ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
Union Dues/Initiation Fees:
Monthly Dues:
<$11.00/hr 2 times hourly pay + $2.00
>$11.00/hr 2.5 times hourly pay + $2.00
Initiation Fee:
Union Local [#] initiation fee - $75.00
Union Local [#] initiation fee - <$11.00/hour = $150.00 // >$11.00/hour = $200.00
Health Care Coverage:
Eligibility Rules:
Employees and eligible dependents will have coverage 12 months from the date of hire. Employees must have at least 1 hour of compensable pay in a week in order to be covered that week.
Includes:
Medical, Dental, Vision, and Prescription with nothing taken out of our check and no co-pay. Most procedures are covered at 90%.
..."
I see no downside to putting in a letter of intent right off the bat. Just make sure it gets to the guy that is in charge of hiring new drivers. Since you were just hired, you will be very low on the seniority list and will therefore be one of the last people they ask if you want to go driving. They have to go down the list in order of seniority. Keep an eye out for postings, but mainly just make sure you communicate from time to time with the driver supervisors that come in later in the day. Make sure they are aware of you and your intention to go driving. Many at the top of the seniority list have already decided to stay inside the building, so you are mostly competing with the lower half of people on the seniority list. The seniority list should be posted, or you can catch a glimpse of the list on your belt supervisor's clipboard. Maybe snag a picture of it with your phone.
Regarding pension, I was just looking at this summarization: New Contract Delivers $1,000 Pension Increase