2022 step increase

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Not exactly sure what you’re getting at

StopCrying talked about a situation where a group of couriers didn't want to take stops in their area. Dopey chimed in, bragging that they knew the area better than the engineer. I made the point that area knowledge doesn't really matter if they're too lazy to do the work.

A lousy bigwig is like a bad NFL player. A bad NFL player is still better than 99% of all college players could ever hope to be. A bad bigwig is still brighter or whatever than 99% of all those who will never become bigwigs. It doesn't mean they're always right about everything but they've taken on exponentially greater challenges and higher levels of responsibility than can even imagine.
That's a lot of text to say that "bigwigs" who make stupid decisions get lucky LOL. Unlike NFL players, business "bigwigs" have no established metrics that can effectively distinguish them from the masses. We can look at IQ and other tests trying to probe the G factor, or maybe we can look at education credentials? PhDs in C suite positions are exceptionally uncommon outside of tech. While MBA's are common they're not a real master's degree, more like a college diploma +.

purplelife

Not exactly sure what you’re getting at, but I was asked ZERO times for any input with management/engineer on my last route that I ran for 6 years. I had plenty to share but they didn’t really want input.

Don’t know what it’s like at other stations though.
I've been on all sides of this, courier, manager and engineer, each side is right, some time. Some couriers are great and understand others just want to pawn off bad stops and some managers or engineers just want to get it done whether it makes sense or not.
Best way it has worked that I have seen is without manager and with knowledgeable swing and normal drivers.
Engineers spend a lot of time looking into this stuff while managers don't go on road much and don't look into routes often enough, they just don't like or like certain couriers.
Having someone with surrounding route knowledge helps keep the normal courier in check.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Not exactly sure what you’re getting at, but I was asked ZERO times for any input with management/engineer on my last route that I ran for 6 years. I had plenty to share but they didn’t really want input.

Don’t know what it’s like at other stations though.
Same story here and I was on the same (extended) route for 15 years.

We had a guy in the adjacent loop who always wanted to dump his undesirable freight every day and then he'd milk the clock until 18:30 but whenever a swing driver did his route they were looking for work by 14:00. The managers never did anything about it because they didn't want to deal with him since he was very hyper and talked too fast. The managers also refused to listen to us when we'd tell them about the situation.

!Retired!

Sad as this scenario is, they still know the areas better than any ‘puppet’ station engineer.
Yes, the couriers know the areas better than the engineers to do deliveries. No way you would ever get 2-4 (depending on the loop) couriers to be able to divvy up the work without some kind of disagreement.

I'm not saying, nor would I ever say the engineers are perfect. But, even before we had EStar, DRA and SRA the engineers would 'set the borders' If one area was heavy on a particular day, we would 'balance' with each other. You remember those days? Do you also remember the person taking the work would say
'Don't give me this stop'
'Don't give me that stop'
'You keep that area and give me this one' etc?

A longtime driver at my station worked with engineers for a while. But he stopped when it was clear they never listened to anything he said
Depends on the driver. My loop, and the 2 on either side of me, would come to me to speak to the engineer. Why? I'm not sure, but she took what I said under more consideration than them. Maybe the way I spoke to her? Maybe because I didn't 'whine and cry' like others? Maybe because she knew I didn't try and snake my way out of work or an area?

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm not saying, nor would I ever say the engineers are perfect. But, even before we had EStar, DRA and SRA the engineers would 'set the borders' If one area was heavy on a particular day, we would 'balance' with each other. You remember those days? Do you also remember the person taking the work would say
'Don't give me this stop'
'Don't give me that stop'
'You keep that area and give me this one' etc?

Well on many occasions, the shifting would go down the loop and the last guy would be left holding the bag or should I say more freight than he or she could handle. Or there wasn’t anyone to shift to at all because of understaffing.

59 Dano

That's a lot of text to say that "bigwigs" who make stupid decisions get lucky LOL. Unlike NFL players, business "bigwigs" have no established metrics that can effectively distinguish them from the masses. We can look at IQ and other tests trying to probe the G factor, or maybe we can look at education credentials? PhDs in C suite positions are exceptionally uncommon outside of tech. While MBA's are common they're not a real master's degree, more like a college diploma +.
LOL! A bigwig achieves that status from moving the needle in his previous positions. Doesn't mean they have the Midas touch or that every future decision will be right but it means they have successfully taken on more responsibility and greater challenges than the hecklers in the peanut gallery.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
StopCrying talked about a situation where a group of couriers didn't want to take stops in their area. Dopey chimed in, bragging that they knew the area better than the engineer. I made the point that area knowledge doesn't really matter if they're too lazy to do the work.
Same goes for managers and engineers. (In)Competence is even more significant in those positions.

Aquaman

LOL! A bigwig achieves that status from moving the needle in his previous positions. Doesn't mean they have the Midas touch or that every future decision will be right but it means they have successfully taken on more responsibility and greater challenges than the hecklers in the peanut gallery.
Your understanding of promotion lends me to believe you’ve never had a job lol. Very few are intelligent business minds. They’d run their own business if that were the case. Most of them are grad school brown nosers, who lucked into an irreplaceable salary. A salary that’s made them very wealthy, but not wealthy enough to step out of line. To actually listen to the people under them. To really push new ideas. 90% of bigwigs do what they think they’re supposed to do. Think the way they’re supposed to think. And rarely, if ever, tell someone above them “NO you’re wrong”. Now I don’t make a ton of money. But I live within my means, and could replace my income tomorrow. What risk taking or honesty is someone making $350,000 going to display? Where are they going if they get the axe? It’s a different level of follow the leader when you get that high.

59 Dano

Your understanding of promotion lends me to believe you’ve never had a job lol. Very few are intelligent business minds. They’d run their own business if that were the case. Most of them are grad school brown nosers, who lucked into an irreplaceable salary. A salary that’s made them very wealthy, but not wealthy enough to step out of line. To actually listen to the people under them. To really push new ideas. 90% of bigwigs do what they think they’re supposed to do. Think the way they’re supposed to think. And rarely, if ever, tell someone above them “NO you’re wrong”. Now I don’t make a ton of money. But I live within my means, and could replace my income tomorrow. What risk taking or honesty is someone making $350,000 going to display? Where are they going if they get the axe? It’s a different level of follow the leader when you get that high.
As I was saying about the hecklers in the peanut gallery...