oldngray

nowhere special
So you definitely with money from outside of the 401K plan and you definitely do not want to convert it all at one time
The advantage of Roth is after you pay the taxes up front everything it makes after that is tax free. The earlier you start one the better. Not much advantage of doing it if you wait until retirement age to do so.

The advantage of Roth is after you pay the taxes up front everything it makes after that is tax free. The earlier you start one the better. Not much advantage of doing it if you wait until retirement age to do so.
Well have a small window of opportunity before the tax rates change.
We have the rest of this year and next year before it goes back to the old tax brackets

upschuck

It's not that easy

You have to do conversion and pay a tax on the money you convert.

For worried about paying taxes later on down the line
The switch your future contributions to Roth right now
I know, that's why I want a good website to guide me through the whole transition. I hear Medicare is raised, if you make too much money every year. Want to keep everything as low as I can.

I wonder how much Medicare premiums get higher? Hmmm. If not that much, maybe I'm fretting for nothing.

oldngray

nowhere special
I used to do my own, but they’re too complicated now screw it. Not to mention the last time I used TurboTax it was not that much cheaper than paying an accountant and tax person.
TurboTax is really bad about adding on extra fees after you start working on your taxes. I used it a couple of times a long time ago but now I use the H&R Block software. It is getting almost as bad. The days when I could do it all on paper by myself are long gone.

I know, that's why I want a good website to guide me through the whole transition. I hear Medicare is raised, if you make too much money every year. Want to keep everything as low as I can.

I wonder how much Medicare premiums get higher? Hmmm. If not that much, maybe I'm fretting for nothing.
You have to make a good amount of money before your Medicare premiums go up
Screenshot_20240804-154607.png

Thebrownblob

TurboTax is really bad about adding on extra fees after you start working on your taxes. I used it a couple of times a long time ago but now I use the H&R Block software. It is getting almost as bad. The days when I could do it all on paper by myself are long gone.
Yep the last time I used TurboTax it was close to $200 with me doing all the work. I think I paid a little over 300 for actual tax person to prepare it and do it all for me. Much less stress.