Any automotive mechanics here?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have several mechanics that post on here. Representation depends on your location. Some are Teamsters and some are IAM.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
How do y'all like you're job? And are you guys teamsters or IAM?

It's a good job, excellent pay and benefits. We are IAM in my area. Can be a little irritating at times coming from a repair business or dealership. In those places repair is the product and for the most part things are setup to make that more efficient. This is the opposite, we are not the focus of the buisness and spend a lot of time fighting the building to be able to do our job. For example shop blocked in, trucks that you can't get out of the line easily, people being stupid and making your job harder. Etc.. When I first started a very senior mechanic told me if you can't handle stupid then don't stay here... that was very true.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Our mechanics are the best. Would rather hang with them than feeder drivers.
Still visit the shop a couple times a year and bring Costco pizza.

trickpony1

I don't know what's so funny about it.
Multiple choice:
retired
died
won the lottery
quit
got fired
went to management
transfered to another hub.

Happens to employees all the time.
Mechanic is usually a sought after job is why I asked.

Helping helping.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I don't know what's so funny about it.
Multiple choice:
retired
died
won the lottery
quit
got fired
went to management
transfered to another hub.

Happens to employees all the time.
Mechanic is usually a sought after job is why I asked.

Helping helping.
You forgot one
Job absorbed by others

Beezer

Most mechanics I run into at the hubs are the most miserable people I've ever run across, and it's consistent from hub to hub. Anytime I have issues with my tractor or trailer they all scatter to the wind, then when I try and find one they pretend they don't see me or even hear me sometimes. I'm guessing the job just sucks??

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Most mechanics I run into at the hubs are the most miserable people I've ever run across, and it's consistent from hub to hub. Anytime I have issues with my tractor or trailer they all scatter to the wind, then when I try and find one they pretend they don't see me or even hear me sometimes. I'm guessing the job just sucks??

I used to be like that when I had a package car fleet.

A lot of the reason most mechanics are miserable to the feeder guys is because we have a fleet system where scheduling and completion of work is the responsibility of the mechanic not management and the workload can be quite high at times. Now you get a feeder guy come in with a problem that will throw off whatever plan you had. Also, the delays can be big sometimes and involve the load going missed and be a giant pain in the ass with eyes on it and a lot of guy don't want to deal with that.

And,

Some guys just have had too many trailers with a expiring FED loaded on the 31st and then brought over to the shop as an emergency!!! On the 1st, it happens all the time and they almost always have a very limited window to miss service, most mechanics get jaded after getting a few " too many redtags" or why did YOU not get that 8 pmi done and back in service talk after they spent the night bailing operations out because THEY put an expiring FED on door, again.

Anyway, none of the guys in our shop hate the drivers, we know this place can be irritating and :censored2:ty for you guys too

Last edited:

Coldworld

I used to be like that when I had a package car fleet.

A lot of the reason most mechanics are miserable to the feeder guys is because we have a fleet system where scheduling and completion of work is the responsibility of the mechanic not management and the workload can be quite high at times. Now you get a feeder guy come in with a problem that will throw off whatever plan you had. Also, the delays can be big sometimes and involve the load going missed and be a giant pain in the ass with eyes on it and a lot of guy don't want to deal with that.

And,

Some guys just have had too many trailers with a expiring FED loaded on the 31st and then brought over to the shop as an emergency!!! On the 1st, it happens all the time and they almost always have a very limited window to miss service, most mechanics get jaded after getting a few " too many redtags" or why did YOU not get that 8 pmi done and back in service talk after they spent the night bailing operations out because THEY put an expiring FED on door, again.

Anyway, none of the guys in our shop hate the drivers, we know this place can be irritating and :censored2:ty for you guys too
You mean you don’t want me coming in with a set with 2 bad wheel seals and 2 slack adjusters that need worked on…. Oh, and don’t forget 4 rain skirts. Get the whole crew out there working on the set…fun times.

Redtag_tech

Hear them driving rushing up to drop off there air and still moving 5mph and throwing them in park. I put new o/h cables and adjust them new roller wheels just to see them slam it as hard as they can destroying everything in a couple weeks cause there pissed off at something. And don’t get me started on the 22.4 driver or who ever swings and have the, it’s not my truck attitude. Accidents that never get reported. How did that windshield break. No1 knows. But hey you know. I’m just an :censored2:. I’m just going to do my best doctors scribble handwriting of schedule for repair.
I don’t want peace. I want problems!! ALWAYS!!!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It I found an expired inspection on a trailer dispatch would get pissed and come down to shop and try to tell the mechanic to hurry on it. It could take a minimum of 45 minutes or a lot more depending on issues.

Once the dispatch manager took me off the load and gave the load to a rookie driver to take over the hill with the expired
inspection.

That's how much they really care about safety.

BTW , once again the mechanics at the Sparks , NV facility were top notch and always helped me out .