By Invitation Only

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I was just curious. I guess we recently started at FedEx. They’ve been putting them on back for years. Mechanic was just talking to me about it. He’s not happy.
He's probably not happy because a lot of the time they are lumpy and out of balance despite the tire shop's best efforts. I try to order new ones, but they send whatever they want.

oldngray

nowhere special
He's probably not happy because a lot of the time they are lumpy and out of balance despite the tire shop's best efforts. I try to order new ones, but they send whatever they want.
Didn't it used to be that UPS could only put retreads on the front of city trucks? If they drove too many miles the front had to be first line tires?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Didn't it used to be that UPS could only put retreads on the front of city trucks? If they drove too many miles the front had to be first line tires?
I'm assuming OP is talking about a PC. Line haul stuff and 24 footers are over the GVW cutoff for legality. Heavy vehicles are not allowed to have capped fronts.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If you were dressed like that in Times Square they would look at you like you were from another planet. Lol.

I used to deliver to an old man that owned a hardware store in the middle of BFE never saw him in anything but overalls

The funny part is when he would go to town he always dressed up and put a brand new pair on never been washed had that sheen to them

Killed his O’lady and died in jail I knew him for 20 years and would never have guessed he did it

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
When a new 24 footer arrives, we are expected to remove the new ( not capped) drive tires and replace them with recaps so feeder can use them. The steer tires stay.

oldngray

nowhere special
When a new 24 footer arrives, we are expected to remove the new ( not capped) drive tires and replace them with recaps so feeder can use them. The steer tires stay.
When the old package cars used to use the same size tires they used to always swap out the good ones for feeders.

oldngray

nowhere special
You can refuse to drive out here if retreads on the front

Had several separate years ago
I remember when none of the package cars in my center had retreads on front. Everyone was surprised and a bit pissed when that changed. We couldn't do anything about it though.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
When the old package cars used to use the same size tires they used to always swap out the good ones for feeders.
Wonder what size that would have been. Biggest ones I know for a PC was 9R22.5. Tractors, trailers and 24 footer have been 285/95 80R 22.5 for quite a while now. Older stuff may have been on 24 inch wheels. Way bigger.