By Invitation Only

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Deer is not the problem. Ticks don't discriminate.
The tick population numbers are directly related to the deer population numbers everywhere. Plenty of studies have been done. There is a direct correlation.

However even if something wiped out tons of deer ticks can live 5 years without a meal.

MAKAVELI

The tick population numbers are directly related to the deer population numbers everywhere. Plenty of studies have been done. There is a direct correlation.

However even if something wiped out tons of deer ticks can live 5 years without a meal.
90 species of ticks in the US and they don't all specifically feed on deer. You could wipe out the entire deer population and still have ticks.

rod

Retired 23 years
90 species of ticks in the US and they don't all specifically feed on deer. You could wipe out the entire deer population and still have ticks.

The wild turkeys have just about wiped out the tick problem around here. Once or twice a day I can see a line of 10 to 15 turkeys roaming the neighborhood on a bug run.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
The wild turkeys have just about wiped out the tick problem around here. Once or twice a day I can see a line of 10 to 15 turkeys roaming the neighborhood on a bug run.
We have a flock of them in our neighborhood in the mountains.
The last time I was up walking in the neighborhood ...
the flock just walked about 4 feet in front of me!
That was a treat even though I didn't have a camera with me.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Well no :censored2: Sherlock. But you wouldn't have near as many.

When I was a kid I could spend all day roaming the farm. Rarely found a tick on me. That doesn't mean there weren't any. There just weren't as many. Now there's been times this summer I walk thru 100 feet of mowed yard and pick a couple ticks off me when I get inside. The difference is directly related.

oldngray

nowhere special
Monday.gif

MAKAVELI

When I was a kid I could spend all day roaming the farm. Rarely found a tick on me. That doesn't mean there weren't any. There just weren't as many. Now there's been times this summer I walk thru 100 feet of mowed yard and pick a couple ticks off me when I get inside. The difference is directly related.
So your yard is an indication of the tick population in the US? Lol

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Tons of deer on my route and they have a HUGE tick problem.

oldngray

nowhere special
Deer pretty much always have ticks but deer ticks will find other hosts if they have to. They just go to deer as their first choice. The problem with deer ticks is the diseases they carry.

oldngray

nowhere special
Only a few species of ticks carry Lyme disease and the deer tick is the most common. Deer ticks are a lot smaller than most other common ticks so easy to identify. Luckily not a problem near where I live but I can go just a few miles to where they are a lot worse.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Only a few species of ticks carry Lyme disease and the deer tick is the most common. Deer ticks are a lot smaller than most other common ticks so easy to identify. Luckily not a problem near where I live but I can go just a few miles to where they are a lot worse.
Really bad here.