By Invitation Only

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I've done a couple of pork butts. All of them seemed to take longer than I thought they would, but turned out great.

I tend to smoke them at 250º to 275º rather than the prescribed 225º. They don't dry out in the Akorn, and they usually power right through the stall.

Really, it's hard to screw up a pork butt. Just gotta melt all the fat into the meat.:)

upschuck

Best to get a little bigger one than you think you will need. When I trim the fat off, I try to leave about 1/2" of fat everywhere I can, even on the cap (the high part) You will trim off several lbs of fat probably. If you have some brisket left over, no biggie, it freezes well. Look at all the brisket in the case, pick each one and try to fold it in two. The ones that bend the most have the best meat/fat ratio.
Thanks, that is good advice, probably, because I have no idea

upschuck

I tend to smoke them at 250º to 275º rather than the prescribed 225º. They don't dry out in the Akorn, and they usually power right through the stall.

Really, it's hard to screw up a pork butt. Just gotta melt all the fat into the meat.:)
That is what I do too, about 250, and goes through the stall rather quickly.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
IMG_1078.GIF

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Probably doing my first brisket in the next couple weeks. Any suggestions on picking one out?

Look at the bottom if you can. You want good marbling, but not too much fat on the bottom. Trim the fat cap on top down to about a quarter inch, and don't worry if you go all the way through in spots. Try to cut as much of the hard fat out as you can.

Other than that, easy, peasy.