Contract proposals for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
as you know it will be a tough sell in 623
we fight we don't lay down and take the rooster
fact
Apparently 623 has nothing to add for proposals. Just a complaint department over there on Hog Island. All these posts and still avoiding the question. I thought 623 was strong?

Rack em

Made the Podium
I want to see some more flexibility with sick days. I have over 150 hours but If I can't use more than 48 hours of it in a 9 month period without getting disciplined. So It's just going to build up to 75 days and start getting cashed out.

Instead I would like to see that if you have a certain amount of sick time you should be able to cash it out as needed instead of just banking 75 days which is impossible to use.

For example, as a lower seniority driver, I am laid off most Mondays and sometimes on Tuesdays. Instead of being coded as being laid off, I would like the option to use my sick time so I can have a decent paycheck and pay my bills. Since the company is going to pay me that sick time either way, I don't see why this shouldn't be a viable option.

I want to see some more flexibility with sick days. I have over 150 hours but If I can't use more than 48 hours of it in a 9 month period without getting disciplined. So It's just going to build up to 75 days and start getting cashed out.

Instead I would like to see that if you have a certain amount of sick time you should be able to cash it out as needed instead of just banking 75 days which is impossible to use.

For example, as a lower seniority driver, I am laid off most Mondays and sometimes on Tuesdays. Instead of being coded as being laid off, I would like the option to use my sick time so I can have a decent paycheck and pay my bills. Since the company is going to pay me that sick time either way, I don't see why this shouldn't be a viable option.
Your supervisor isn't coding it correctly

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I haven't gone through all of these pages, so I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but as a feeder driver, subcontracting is a huge issue. The International has done a very poor job dealing with it.

It may not seem important to part-timers and package car drivers, but along with health care, subcontracting is a big wedge issue that has a real potential to break us. If we, as a union, can't get a grip on it, it could really get away from us. If it does, you can bet it will trickle down to package car too. And know one wants to find out where that leads us.

By the letter of the contract, management is allowed to use subcontractors for a defined time during peak. In practice though, they use them year round. Currently, drivers are laid off while gypsies run our loads. Why Hoffa doesn't take a stand on this I'll never know.

Since we are the highest paid drivers on the road, perhaps it is time we put our efforts into strengthening our contract language instead of more money. As it is now, we are on an unsustainable path to our future.

oldupsman

I haven't gone through all of these pages, so I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but as a feeder driver, subcontracting is a huge issue. The International has done a very poor job dealing with it.

It may not seem important to part-timers and package car drivers, but along with health care, subcontracting is a big wedge issue that has a real potential to break us. If we, as a union, can't get a grip on it, it could really get away from us. If it does, you can bet it will trickle down to package car too. And know one wants to find out where that leads us.

By the letter of the contract, management is allowed to use subcontractors for a defined time during peak. In practice though, they use them year round. Currently, drivers are laid off while gypsies run our loads. Why Hoffa doesn't take a stand on this I'll never know.

Since we are the highest paid drivers on the road, perhaps it is time we put our efforts into strengthening our contract language instead of more money. As it is now, we are on an unsustainable path to our future.

One of those issues (giveaways) that never should have started in the first place, just like wage progression.
If you went on strike for just those 2 issues and won it would be worth it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

There is no doubt, it takes vigilant enforcement.

In my Local (if) a contractor pulled in the yard, SHTF.... rather quickly. :biggrin:

By the letter of the contract, management is allowed to use subcontractors for a defined time during peak. In practice though, they use them year round. Currently, drivers are laid off while gypsies run our loads.

That sounds like a Local problem. Member involvement, is the key.

Should your dues money, pay for someone to sit outside UPS.... and monitor traffic ??

-Bug-

UPS Preloader

I don't disagree, but the part timers need their raises and I would hate to see them initiate separate raises for part time and full time.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Should your dues money, pay for someone to sit outside UPS.... and monitor traffic ??
Are you saying that there isn't a way, contractually, to force UPS to make this practice transparent?....

.....and if that was the case, our dues that pay our Local Officials, wouldn't be able to sit in an office, at their desks and monitor this "traffic" and grieve on behalf?

I do realize in my Local, this would significantly cut into the time needed to travel the country going to 5 quarterly JAC's (rarely a need to attend the Deadlock Committee), 4 National Panels, and 12 State Panels,.....even though they rarely have cases to present.
Add to that the annual State Conference Meeting, and the "Unity Conference" and there is even less time to monitor subcontracting.

You're probably right, it should be the membership's responsibility to monitor the yard, 24/7/365.

~Bbbl~™

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You're probably right, it should be the membership's responsibility to monitor the yard, 24/7/365.

Regardless of your support, or opposition to your Local Union leadership....

It is the members obligation, to be the "eyes and ears" of the Local, in enforcing the contract.

NMA 26 Sec 3 amended to give jurisdiction to grieve for subcontracted movements to origin AND DESTINATION locals.

Back on topic !

-Bug-

MostHelpNeeded

Automatic Triple Time after 9.5 hours. No lists, no grievances, no excuses. The company doesn't ask our input, doesn't care how it effects our lives, they cut routes like crazy and pile on the work, and then use intimidation tactics when you get on the list. Getting home from work at 8, 9, sometimes 10 o'clock is not normal. Why do we just accept it? They want to keep us out late, fine, but make them pay. Give them some incentive to stop raising stop counts every year. And while we're at it, pension and H+W contributions for EVERY hour worked.

Those two things should be our biggest concern. You know how much overtime you work. Every employee, every extra hour....think of how much that would help...especially all these failing pensions.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
There is no doubt, it takes vigilant enforcement.

In my Local (if) a contractor pulled in the yard, SHTF.... rather quickly. :biggrin:

-Bug-

We DO monitor our yard and we write down trailer numbers attached to gypsies at the rail yard and on the highway. Again, this is where the International has dropped the ball.

When we file on these trailers, they get dropped because we are told the grievances are only valid when they are filed from the origin hub. This makes it very difficult to hold UPS accountable and is no way to conduct our business. By the time we spot these loads, often they are thousands of miles away from their origin.

Luckily, we have friendly dispatchers that will look up the loads for us, but even then, the grievances are out of our hands and we can only hope they get filed. Again, no way to do business.

ManInBrown

You should absolutely be able to use a sick day for a layoff. We do it here all the time. If I come in and decide to take the day because lots of drivers are on the over I tell them to code me sick day.

OrionsBitch

Not...
Get rid of the :censored2: pension for future employees. Time and time again we see how it's not properly managed. Let me save my own money because you idiots cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.