Detroit driver killed

Star B

White Lightening
I think someone needs to be sitting in jail... cuz playing by the rules of not being able to drive don't apply to her.

By The Book

I think someone needs to be sitting in jail... cuz playing by the rules of not being able to drive don't apply to her.
There should be technology that doesn't let you drive a vehicle if you have a suspended license. I don't know how but it could possibly keep something like this from happening. She needs someone else to make common sense decisions for her. RIP to the driver and prayers to the families involved.

dezguy

Horrible. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

So sad. You go to work to put food on the table and don't come home. It's really eye opening because that could have been any of us.

Stay safe, everyone.

Star B

White Lightening
There should be technology that doesn't let you drive a vehicle if you have a suspended license.

Issues:
1) Privacy/tracking issue
2) Stolen/copied credentials
3) Physical manipulation/hacking

#1 is the largest issue there is. #2/#3 wont really be an issue with people who are already driving w/ a suspended license.

By The Book

Issues:
1) Privacy/tracking issue
2) Stolen/copied credentials
3) Physical manipulation/hacking

#1 is the largest issue there is. #2/#3 wont really be an issue with people who are already driving w/ a suspended license.
Like I said, I don't know how it could be done. I guess these situations don't rise to the level of something being done to prevent it. Looking forward I hope there's a way to do this.

dmac1

This is why no one should ever own a ground route and hire drivers. Fedex doesn't pay enough to give drivers a wage worth risking your life over every day. Getting paid $10-$15 an hour with few if any paid benefits simply is not risking your life over, especially for a good worker.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is why no one should ever own a ground route and hire drivers. Fedex doesn't pay enough to give drivers a wage worth risking your life over every day. Getting paid $10-$15 an hour with few if any paid benefits simply is not risking your life over, especially for a good worker.

I make $33.62/hr with full benefits and a pension and am considered to be a good worker.

Are you saying that my life is worth risking?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yikes, sad to hear about what went down... RIP to the driver

Woman facing second-degree murder charges in Fed Ex driver's death

Watch the video to see the impact was so much, it made the sprinter go on it's side...

Woman, 26, charged in crash that killed FedEx driver in Detroit

When her car stuck the FedEx truck driven by Rodrick Motley, the truck was forced onto the median and the driver was ejected

Wow, she was going that fast!?!

That's tough to predict other drivers on the road, even if you're practicing the 5 seeing habits.

She should have been using uber or lyft, but hope those charges stick

bacha29

In this case it looks like the man was with express so there will likely be a work comp settlement and life insurance settlement. Doesn't make up for the loss of the man's life and hopefully in light of her willful defiance of the law she is convicted and gets the maximum. And yes. the pay rate you quoted is pretty much the going rate and with the work that is being piled on them the disparity between the value offered and the value demanded in return will continue to become even wider. Sadly going forward there will be very little even the most honorable ISP's can do about it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I make $33.62/hr with full benefits and a pension and am considered to be a good worker.

facepalm.jpg

dmac1

That's nearly triple what a contractor's driver earns- so you are paid better for taking the daily risk. I think the UPS wages take risk into account more than fedex. That's a benefit of being union.

542thruNthru

That's nearly triple what a contractor's driver earns- so you are paid better for taking the daily risk. I think the UPS wages take risk into account more than fedex. That's a benefit of being union.

So 7-11 clerks should be paid as much as UPS drivers. I mean they take a HUGE risk of being shot and killed during a robbery every day.

Also let's not forget the school crossing guards or the guys flipping signs on the corner. A driver could easily take one of them out. These risks are way too large. Damn you FedEx Ground!

Oh wait he was Express... looks like we will have to find another thread to blame ground for something.

Thoughts and prayers to the family. I hope they throw the book at the driver.

McFeely

Huge Member
iKR ?!?

I can imagine being ejected out of a step van with pocket doors opened, but the poor guy was in a sprinter...

Guess it all depends on the angle/direction/timing of the hit. And I didn't see if it was mentioned whether or not he was wearing his seatbelt. The Sprinters have airbags on the steering wheel, but do they have side airbags? I doubt the cargo van versions we use do, but the passenger vans likely do.

There have been times I've had some drivers come really close to my truck while I was either just getting in or out of the driver's seat making a delivery. Pretty much no matter what vehicle you're in, if you get broadsided while you're standing in the back of the truck you're in for a world of hurt.

Very sorry for this guy and his family.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
How does she hit that van in a little dinky fusion so hard to kill the van driver and she be ok?!
Fusions really aren't all that dinky and Sprinters aren't exactly cement trucks. It doesn't surprise me at all that the kinetic energy achieved from a midsized automobile driven at excessive speed could topple a Sprinter upon impact "and she be ok". She enjoyed the advantage of being in the vehicle with more safety features - particularly if the FedEx driver was not secured inside his.

No mystery here at all.

If I read correctly, she was also charged with being "intoxicated" (presumably, booze although not specified). It isn't unusual for the 'drunk driver' to not be injured because their muscles, etc., don't tense up and such. Not the case for the sober MVA victim (s), unfortunately.
Terrible loss for the driver's family, as well.
I hope Michigan WorkComp death benefit is better than some other states.