Driving with an expired license!

Last One In

I don't mean to be mean, but doesnt everyone's license expire on your birthday. For god's sake, if you can't remember when your own birthday is than I don't think you should be behind the wheel of any vehicle let alone a commercial one.

newolddude

No. US Passport trumps all identification.

Real-ID drivers ae usually the easiest form of compliant identification for most citizens. Otherwise, the following three ID are compliant.
  • US passports
  • Native American tribal documents
  • Defense Department or federal ID cards.
Yes, US Passports trump all other IDs. But do you really want to carry a passport book around?

Now there is the US Passport Card. I got one when I renewed my passport because my state was one of the ones fighting against Real ID and wasn't compliant. But it's also a $70 fee.

It is suprising how people get thrown off when they see one of these.

PT Car Washer

Yes, US Passports trump all other IDs. But do you really want to carry a passport book around?

Now there is the US Passport Card. I got one when I renewed my passport because my state was one of the ones fighting against Real ID and wasn't compliant. But it's also a $70 fee.

It is suprising how people get thrown off when they see one of these.
But will the girl at Q T accept it when buying a 6 pack of beer?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In my state you need to show up in person to renew your license, the DMV’s are open by appointment only, and due to Covid the current waiting period to even get an appointment is about 2 months. So a lot of people are, through no fault of their own, unable to schedule an appointment before their license expires. The state has also passed a law that you cannot be cited for driving with expired tags or on an expired license if you have insurance, are otherwise legal, and can show that you made the necessary appointment with the DMV. I was recently able to get mine renewed with less than a week to spare, but I was told by management that UPS was giving us a 30 day grace period for driving while expired. In reading this thread it sounds like some of you dont know the difference between driving while suspended and driving while expired. Driving while suspended is a crime and if you get caught they will fine you and impound your car. Driving while expired is completely different, they will cite you and let you drive away and if you get your license renewed the citation will be voided AKA a “fix-it ticket”.

quad decade guy

In my state you need to show up in person to renew your license, the DMV’s are open by appointment only, and due to Covid the current waiting period to even get an appointment is about 2 months. So a lot of people are, through no fault of their own, unable to schedule an appointment before their license expires. The state has also passed a law that you cannot be cited for driving with expired tags or on an expired license if you have insurance, are otherwise legal, and can show that you made the necessary appointment with the DMV. I was recently able to get mine renewed with less than a week to spare, but I was told by management that UPS was giving us a 30 day grace period for driving while expired. In reading this thread it sounds like some of you dont know the difference between driving while suspended and driving while expired. Driving while suspended is a crime and if you get caught they will fine you and impound your car. Driving while expired is completely different, they will cite you and let you drive away and if you get your license renewed the citation will be voided AKA a “fix-it ticket”.

Good info. Our state has a similar program. Basically, anything to do with registrations, cars all that....after March was open ended. Get it done when you can....DL's same way. It took me 3 months to get an appointment. I told my manager....he could have cared less.They still haven't asked for my DOT medical or DL. Both recently expired....

Our state also stated(in writing) that they informed all law enforcement agencies of this policy. In other words....keep doing what you are doing and get it done when you are able. Yes, I received a letter(from the state) noting my expired license. BTW, we used to get messages weeks in advance of medicals and license renewals at work, even a day to day countdown. UPS asks for my documents once a year now at my"ride".