Extended Area routes to run only 3 days per week?

21_years_in

Hi all. So my bid route is way out in the country & mountains. My daily routine is: I do EAMs for about 13 miles, then about 73-78 stops on my route for another 165 miles. My average day is just over 11.0 paid, and my overallowed averages about 1.0 hour over.

Corporate has said that they are only going to run my route Tues., Thurs. & Fri., presumably because UPS is paying about $550 in labor plus $100 in gas to deliver 1-2 EAMs and then the 90-145 pkgs that might come in for my route that day.

Last edited:

21_years_in

I am posting on here because I have never heard of UPS servicing an area only 3 days/week.

Have any of you ever heard of any Extended Area, limited UPS service anywhere?

I am in NorCal, & I would have imagine than the rural states would have a lot of high mile, lower stop count routes.

If I don’t do EAMs, it would be 10.25 average paid, about .75 overallowed with 72-77 stops, 90-145 pieces over 165 miles. Aren’t there many rural routes like this?! Do these routes get run everyday?

Thebrownblob

I am posting on here because I have never heard of UPS servicing an area only 3 days/week.

Have any of you ever heard of any Extended Area, limited UPS service anywhere?

I am in NorCal, & I would have imagine than the rural states would have a lot of high mile, lower stop count routes.

If I don’t do EAMs, it would be 10.25 average paid, about .75 overallowed with 72-77 stops, 90-145 pieces over 165 miles. Aren’t there many rural routes like this?! Do these routes get run everyday?
Rural deferral is happening all over the country.

Last edited:

21_years_in

It will be very interesting to go out with exactly double the volume (i.e. “pieces”) 2/3 of the time now when my average paid day was just over 11.0 before this clumsy rural deferment program.

I calculate that it will be 13.5 paid days on these 2 “double days”/week.

Thebrownblob

I looked up rule deferral, but I don’t know what that is. Having worked at the company over 29 years, I’m guessing that it means management is not adhering to the union contract.
There’s nothing in the contract that says they cannot do a rural deferral.
@Thebrownblob I think that you meant *rural* deferral.
i did lol realized AutoCorrect was changing it

21_years_in

I had planned to retire on this route, but it sounds like this Rural Deferment will jack things up to the point where I will grab a clerk, air shuttle or carwash job when one comes up.

I am 58 years old, & I honestly don’t think I would be physically capable of filling in on most of the other routes.

Being a UPS driver for 28+ years is very rough on the back, shoulders & knees. Especially the lower back!

Thebrownblob

I had planned to retire on this route, but it sounds like this Rural Deferment will jack things up to the point where I will grab a clerk, air shuttle or carwash job when one comes up.

I am 58 years old, & I honestly don’t think I would be physically capable of filling in on most of the other routes.

Being a UPS driver for 28+ years is very rough on the back, shoulders & knees. Especially the lower back!
Hang in there, Good luck!

Cut backs are happening to a lot of us. Especially higher seniority members. You may want to consider this a transition to retirement like I have done. $44/hr PT retirement job. Who could ask for a better deal?

Cut backs are happening to a lot of us. Especially higher seniority members. You may want to consider this a transition to retirement like I have done. $44/hr PT retirement job. Who could ask for a better deal?
It's easier not to break your body down if you're part time your whole career. Beating your body up full time and working till you're 80 doesn't really work. Inside jobs where you can work 8 hours and leave are a decent option

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants

Not sure if the clause is still in there (do your own research) but there used to be a clause that said UPS had to consider your age when dispatching work.

A close to retirement employee can not possible be expected to handle the same work load as a 25 or old young buck. Hence the concept of a retirement route, or "high seniority routes"

Except, in our building they basically made all resi routes t-s forcing 30+year veterans ready to retire to either go back on commercial route to NOT work a Saturday (as they had no expecatation of Saturday work) or stay on a route that allows them to retire safely and be forced to work on a Saturday. yet another detail missed negotiations.

Brownwind

It’s the new reality. Many on this thread bid different jobs due to the route adjustments. Find something that works for you and make it happen.
Feeders are a great alternative.

10:30 resi

Not sure if the clause is still in there (do your own research) but there used to be a clause that said UPS had to consider your age when dispatching work.

A close to retirement employee can not possible be expected to handle the same work load as a 25 or old young buck. Hence the concept of a retirement route, or "high seniority routes"

Except, in our building they basically made all resi routes t-s forcing 30+year veterans ready to retire to either go back on commercial route to NOT work a Saturday (as they had no expecatation of Saturday work) or stay on a route that allows them to retire safely and be forced to work on a Saturday. yet another detail missed negotiations.
Yep that is still in there. Dignity and respect including but not limited to age and physical condition.

In the Atlantic we have a MOU that work week schedule and route are two separate bids. Here you could bid a junk route that is in tues--sat and just cover on Mon.

21_years_in

Ah, yes. Age & Ability. I did get that going about a year ago. I had a meeting with the center manager and BA. They capped my stop count.

Thanks for all the replies, everybody. I was horrified when my center manager gave me this news (about not running the route Mondays and Wednesdays).

I have been very concerned about making my body last until retirement, and what with the cost of living there is little margin for error.

The life of a peasant is indeed a grueling life.

Last edited: