Extended Area routes to run only 3 days per week?

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I had planned to retire on this route, but it sounds like this Rural Deferment will jack things up to the point where I will grab a clerk, air shuttle or carwash job when one comes up.

It's happening everywhere. I work in a more rural center and several of the cake retirement routes now only go out 2 or 3 days a week with double the stop count AND the bid drivers on those routes effectively become cover drivers on the other days.

Don't worry though, Big Carol knows what shes doing.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
It's happening everywhere. I work in a more rural center and several of the cake retirement routes now only go out 2 or 3 days a week with double the stop count AND the bid drivers on those routes effectively become cover drivers on the other days.

Don't worry though, Big Carol knows what shes doing.
We had been holding 8 zip codes. 3 of which were densely populated towns on the way to rural zips. Our ORS and center manager lobbied to our DM to no longer hold the 3 "urban" zip codes and he agreed.
As of a month ago we are no longer holding those zip codes and have not heard anything about it from upper management. It was a big play and it gained respect from rank n file for our management team.

Johney

That would suck, our full time seniority transfers to feeders here.
When I went to feeders my first year vacation picks were the only 6 weeks left. 3 weeks in January, 1 in February, 2 in March and what really sucked is that first year I didn't have feeder seniority and bounce back and forth between package and feeder. What was nice is there were guys with more company seniority that came in after me and I had more feeder seniority.

MangoMango

Not sure if the clause is still in there (do your own research) but there used to be a clause that said UPS had to consider your age when dispatching work.

A close to retirement employee can not possible be expected to handle the same work load as a 25 or old young buck. Hence the concept of a retirement route, or "high seniority routes"

Except, in our building they basically made all resi routes t-s forcing 30+year veterans ready to retire to either go back on commercial route to NOT work a Saturday (as they had no expecatation of Saturday work) or stay on a route that allows them to retire safely and be forced to work on a Saturday. yet another detail missed negotiations.
I filed a grievance for article 37 section 1 last week. We will see what happens.

MangoMango

Hi all. So my bid route is way out in the country & mountains. My daily routine is: I do EAMs for about 13 miles, then about 73-78 stops on my route for another 165 miles. My average day is just over 11.0 paid, and my overallowed averages about 1.0 hour over.

Corporate has said that they are only going to run my route Tues., Thurs. & Fri., presumably because UPS is paying about $550 in labor plus $100 in gas to deliver 1-2 EAMs and then the 90-145 pkgs that might come in for my route that day.
Curious as to why you even mentioned over allowed. It's not recognized by the union or most drivers.

21_years_in

Curious as to why you even mentioned over allowed. It's not recognized by the union or most drivers.
Honestly, it was because I had very recently spent some time reading this forum, & I saw a lot of animosity for drivers who were perceived to not be carrying their own weight.

If I had just said that my average paid day was just over 11.0 hours, I wonder if people on here would have thought I was just some old slow guy.

In fact, dispatch heaps on the work. I do it safely & by the methods, thus the long paid days.

tourists24

Cut backs are happening to a lot of us. Especially higher seniority members. You may want to consider this a transition to retirement like I have done. $44/hr PT retirement job. Who could ask for a better deal?
Is your route one of those rural deferred routes? And do they just give you the day off when the route is cut? I retired a couple of years ago but stay in touch with some of the drivers still. In our center they happily offer that voluntary day off when it happens

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Honestly, it was because I had very recently spent some time reading this forum, & I saw a lot of animosity for drivers who were perceived to not be carrying their own weight.

If I had just said that my average paid day was just over 11.0 hours, I wonder if people on here would have thought I was just some old slow guy.

In fact, dispatch heaps on the work. I do it safely & by the methods, thus the long paid days.
As you should. Work safe, within your means. Ride it out until retirement.

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
Is your route one of those rural deferred routes? And do they just give you the day off when the route is cut? I retired a couple of years ago but stay in touch with some of the drivers still. In our center they happily offer that voluntary day off when it happens
And if the drivers are taking it and not requesting their 8hrs then they are part of the problem. When the company is forced to pay for your 8hrs and get zero work from you, they'll start finding work real quick. Especially if you all stand together as a group and force your 8.

Ah, yes. Age & Ability. I did get that going about a year ago. I had a meeting with the center manager and BA. They capped my stop count.

Thanks for all the replies, everybody. I was horrified when my center manager gave me this news (about not running the route Mondays and Wednesdays).

I have been very concerned about making my body last until retirement, and what with the cost of living there is little margin for error.

The life of a peasant is indeed a grueling life.
Best of luck to you.

tourists24

And if the drivers are taking it and not requesting their 8hrs then they are part of the problem. When the company is forced to pay for your 8hrs and get zero work from you, they'll start finding work real quick. Especially if you all stand together as a group and force your 8.
I don't disagree with you there. But I understand the old timers not wanting to play that game anymore also. I don't know about your center but where I came from getting everyone on board will probably never happen

21_years_in

This actually might be a blessing in disguise for me because the curvy, bumpy, rocky, hilly roads are destroying my lower back. The path I was on was leading to imminent Worker’s Comp.

I got one of those lumbar pads & slowed down, but this just delays the inevitable.