Extended Area routes to run only 3 days per week?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I had planned to retire on this route, but it sounds like this Rural Deferment will jack things up to the point where I will grab a clerk, air shuttle or carwash job when one comes up.

I am 58 years old, & I honestly don’t think I would be physically capable of filling in on most of the other routes.

Being a UPS driver for 28+ years is very rough on the back, shoulders & knees. Especially the lower back!
Want to have fun? Bid on the heaviest industrial route in the building.
Work at a safe pace, follow ORION 100%, take lunch between 12-1, and every hour notify management how far behind you are, how much help you need, and how many
Missed pick ups and deliveries you will have if you don’t get help.
You can absolutely sink the center and have a great laugh.

RTS313

Rural Deferment was tried before and was proven to NOT work. I guess todays management never got the message.
From what senior guys told me. Back in day, rural areas UPS would have an agreement where the general store would accept all packages for the 300 residents. The store would give the residents their packages. Or did not happen

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Damn it, they let you come back!?
IMG_5670.gif

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
Yah I wasn't around UPS at that time but guys were telling me you'd do evens one day, and odds the next type situation?
My route back then had a bunch of little towns. I would do half of the towns one day then the other half the next. The problem was I still had to service the air in those towns. It only worked when they let the driver decide what to remote but that never happened.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

25+ Year UPSer and Teamster
Want to have fun? Bid on the heaviest industrial route in the building.
Work at a safe pace, follow ORION 100%, take lunch between 12-1, and every hour notify management how far behind you are, how much help you need, and how many
Missed pick ups and deliveries you will have if you don’t get help.
You can absolutely sink the center and have a great laugh.
That (along with the 9.5 list) is actually the recipe for fixing ANY route. I’ve been doing it since ORION was forced (RDO taken away) down our throats and the result has been dispatchers having to take off stops on every route I’ve bid on. Worked with rural deferment as well. Yes, they tried the double route nonsense the first month and I burned their asses, and their ”numbers”, with 9.5 penalty pay and missed commercial stops.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I thought about getting permission to work only three 11.5 hour shifts per week. This is 39.75 paid hrs of straight time, so just about what an inside employee nnmakes.

However, this is still 60% of the previous pounding on my lower back, so it is a non-starter.

View attachment 490262

So before they deferred your route you were working 5 11s (ish), but now even if you can work only 3 11.5 hour days, it’s still too much? Kind of sounds like you were on the verge of not being able to do it any more either way. No offense intended.

21_years_in

So before they deferred your route you were working 5 11s (ish), but now even if you can work only 3 11.5 hour days, it’s still too much? Kind of sounds like you were on the verge of not being able to do it any more either way. No offense intended.
In my case, I had pushed my lower back as far as I am willing to push it right about the time the center manager notified me of the imminent Rural Deferment. So, Rural Deferment or no, I will be staying off of unpaved roads in a package car. My options are Worker’s Comp, Disability, or an inside job. I called an ORS today, & I got a PM Clerk gig for 4 weeks.

I also developed COVID on the day my center manager first gave me a head’s up on the pending change to the route. I worked an 11.19 paid day, tested positive that night, & I still test positive for COVID 5 days later. Days 2,3 and 4 of the COVID were worse than I could ever have imagined. I got on Paxlovid very quickly.

So my lower back will have had a rest for 5-1/2 weeks, but I hope that I never have to drive on an unpaved road in a package car ever again. Pavement is fine!

As a result of the above, I will be watching my route’s transition to Rural Deferment from the vantage point of a PM Clerk.

Last edited:

DOK

Wonder how long before the criteria for a route to be eligible for rural deferred keeps expanding to the point where it includes the majority of routes? Also, can’t imagine how bad Orion is for these routes.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Wonder how long before the criteria for a route to be eligible for rural deferred keeps expanding to the point where it includes the majority of routes? Also, can’t imagine how bad Orion is for these routes.
On the one route we've been using it on our driver claims it doesn't really affect his day when his route is in. He has a tighter loop, higher stop density. But similar miles, packages etc. Just starts his day further from the center, so his to from miles are different.
On the days it's out...he gets a BS hodge podge route.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
In my case, I had pushed my lower back as far as I am willing to push it right about the time the center manager notified me of the imminent Rural Deferment. So, Rural Deferment or no, I will be staying off of unpaved roads in a package car. My options are Worker’s Comp, Disability, or an inside job. I called an ORS today, & I got a PM Clerk gig for 4 weeks.

I also developed COVID on the day my center manager first gave me a head’s up on the pending change to the route. I worked an 11.19 paid day, tested positive that night, & I still test positive for COVID 5 days later. Days 2,3 and 4 of the COVID were worse than I could ever have imagined. I got on Paxlovid very quickly.

So my lower back will have had a rest for 5-1/2 weeks, but I hope that I never have to drive on an unpaved road in a package car ever again. Pavement is fine!

As a result of the above, I will be watching my route’s transition to Rural Deferment from the vantage point of a PM Clerk.
Feedahs has air cushion chairs. Just learn how to back pups and double clutch