FedEx contractor revolt?

bacha29

Actually it comes down to this:

FedEx has made a mess. I’m sure they believe it’s for the better, but the short term is going to be very expensive for them. I’ll cash those checks. And when the day comes for the next contractor to move into what used to be mine…well, I don’t plan on handing them a well oiled machine to profit from.
By the sounds of things you're going to come out of this ok. Perhaps different than what you had imagined but otherwise alright. So what are waaaaing about? And who might this succeeding contractor be? A short time ago you said that they can't even give them away .

bbsam

Staff member
By the sounds of things you're going to come out of this ok. Perhaps different than what you had imagined but otherwise alright. So what are waaaaing about? And who might this succeeding contractor be? A short time ago you said that they can't even give them away .
Right. They can’t give them away. You seem certain that one day they’ll be able to. I concur. One day they will be able to but not at the rates they’re paying contracted areas now.

Am I waaaaaing? Sorry. Didn’t mean to give that impression. I know I’ve been saying that you don’t understand the situation at all. That your belief that contractors will simply roll over is completely wrong. That’s not to say that there will be a revolution in stations. Far more passive aggressiveness. Routes sitting (possibly for several days). General disregard for anything coming from the company about service or losing customers. Early pickups, late pickups…nobody cares. Grandma Jones didn’t get to the door fast enough to get her medicine that needs a signature? Can we reattempt? Nah. Maybe tomorrow. Sign schedule K (for peak monetary increases)? Nah. They’ll just find away to take it all away.

You seem to believe that massive numbers of contractors need to take part. I doubt that it’s that organized nor does it need to be.

And we haven’t even gotten to considering what happens when the line haul operations start falling apart. Freight probably moves some. I doubt their big enough to handle all of it though.

At this point, I’m more of a spectator in the coming disaster. Just one with a really good seat being paid to watch it happen. I have no desire to necessarily stop it. Failure is the only thing truly profitable now.

And that’s 100% on FedEx.

bacha29

Right. They can’t give them away. You seem certain that one day they’ll be able to. I concur. One day they will be able to but not at the rates they’re paying contracted areas now.

Am I waaaaaing? Sorry. Didn’t mean to give that impression. I know I’ve been saying that you don’t understand the situation at all. That your belief that contractors will simply roll over is completely wrong. That’s not to say that there will be a revolution in stations. Far more passive aggressiveness. Routes sitting (possibly for several days). General disregard for anything coming from the company about service or losing customers. Early pickups, late pickups…nobody cares. Grandma Jones didn’t get to the door fast enough to get her medicine that needs a signature? Can we reattempt? Nah. Maybe tomorrow. Sign schedule K (for peak monetary increases)? Nah. They’ll just find away to take it all away.

You seem to believe that massive numbers of contractors need to take part. I doubt that it’s that organized nor does it need to be.

And we haven’t even gotten to considering what happens when the line haul operations start falling apart. Freight probably moves some. I doubt their big enough to handle all of it though.

At this point, I’m more of a spectator in the coming disaster. Just one with a really good seat being paid to watch it happen. I have no desire to necessarily stop it. Failure is the only thing truly profitable now.

And that’s 100% on FedEx.
Are you saying that there is no longer the rigorous contract enforcement that one existed? If so then what do you attribute to?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I think he’s just mad someone is willing to risk everything to make changes, something he was too afraid to do his entire career. All his posts on this topic scream jealousy.
I think he's just confused. If you told him you could walk away today and no one would notice because when one walks away, two more jump in to fill the void, he'd say that's not the case (again).

bbsam

Staff member
Are you saying that there is no longer the rigorous contract enforcement that one existed? If so then what do you attribute to?
Correct. I attribute it to exactly what we’re discussing. They’ve devalued the contracts. They can’t give them away. They don’t have enough contingency drivers and contractors to backup rigorous enforcement.

bacha29

Correct. I attribute it to exactly what we’re discussing. They’ve devalued the contracts. They can’t give them away. They don’t have enough contingency drivers and contractors to backup rigorous enforcement.
Sounds like the situation has gone below the psychological Mendoza Line. So the contract capitulation has reached the point where they're afraid that rigorous contract enforcement would invite contractor rigor mortis ? The company can not longer rely on threats or intimidation in order to continue to get everything their own way?

If so then there would appear to be no way to bring the company back from the abyss . If that's the case then you are correct when you say that the company has a cancer but nobody at the executive level spotted it until it metastasized. This in turn has me convinced that there will be a battle for control of the corporation coming in the days ahead.

bbsam

Staff member
Sounds like the situation has gone below the psychological Mendoza Line. So the contract capitulation has reached the point where they're afraid that rigorous contract enforcement would invite contractor rigor mortis ? The company can not longer rely on threats or intimidation in order to continue to get everything their own way?

If so then there would appear to be no way to bring the company back from the abyss . If that's the case then you are correct when you say that the company has a cancer but nobody at the executive level spotted it until it metastasized. This in turn has me convinced that there will be a battle for control of the corporation coming in the days ahead.
Worthless contracts create toothless agreements.

Mutineer

The attitude of FedEx upper management, and the current state of affairs remind me of an aged, saggy, washed-up, drugged-out stripper strutting around like she's all that and a bag of chips.

While wondering aloud and confused as to why she can't find anyone, anymore, to take her bait and put up with her crap.

bbsam

Staff member
The attitude of FedEx upper management, and the current state of affairs remind me of an aged, saggy, washed-up, drugged-out stripper strutting around like she's all that and a bag of chips.

While wondering aloud and confused as to why she can't find anyone, anymore, to take her bait and put up with her crap.
Right. I’ll still ride her from time to time but I’m not gonna brag about it.

MAKAVELI

Actually it comes down to this:

FedEx has made a mess. I’m sure they believe it’s for the better, but the short term is going to be very expensive for them. I’ll cash those checks. And when the day comes for the next contractor to move into what used to be mine…well, I don’t plan on handing them a well oiled machine to profit from.
I think you have finally come to terms with the reality of what this corporation is all about and have the correct way to deal with them. Get your $ now and have a way out. That's my mantra for all FedEx employees.

bacha29

I think you have finally come to terms with the reality of what this corporation is all about and have the correct way to deal with them. Get your $ now and have a way out. That's my mantra for all FedEx employees.
The best time for a contractor to get out was 3-4 years ago. Back then speculators were crawling all over open contracts like maggots. Now they have little to no interest after having seen what they're really all about.

bbsam

Staff member
And in response…
1659025818800.png

Who cares about a breach of contract if bankruptcy is the alternative?

Attachments

• 1659025750378.png
    1659025750378.png
    789 KB · Views: 36

bacha29

And in response…
View attachment 393751
Who cares about a breach of contract if bankruptcy is the alternative?
And Spencer Patton is right now checking to see if the rabbit hole they pulled Saddam Hussein out of is still available. For many contractors an FXG contract was the retirement nest egg they hoped it would become .Now that it clearly will not be the case then Sam is 100% correct. In the meantime you just try to save the most cash you can while spending the least on your contract. Hey look, it's Fat Freddy's gold mine. If he won't spend any money on roof bolts then the roof will simply have to come down on it's own some day. Just make sure you're not there when it does.

bbsam

Staff member
And Spencer Patton is right now checking to see if the rabbit hole they pulled Saddam Hussein out of is still available. For many contractors an FXG contract was the retirement nest egg they hoped it would become .Now that it clearly will not be the case then Sam is 100% correct. In the meantime you just try to save the most cash you can while spending the least on your contract. Hey look, it's Fat Freddy's gold mine. If he won't spend any money on roof bolts then the roof will simply have to come down on it's own some day. Just make sure you're not there when it does.

Why would Payton be afraid? I think he’s probably emboldened.

What happens if FedEx sues Patton? I think Payton has a great chance at getting the contract deemed unconscionable. Then what? FedEx is exposed to a multibillion dollar class action lawsuit with the spoils going to 6000 contractors (after a billion to lawyers).

Would that all happen? Probably not. But I doubt FedEx wants to or will take legal action. $0.50 a stop is far cheaper.

bacha29

Threats and intimidation are literally the only tools FedEx knows how to use. John Smith is a terrible leader, his response proves it.
When he was a regional manager he was known as "Johnny Dollar Sign". As a cost analysist he had everything in his head right down to the very cent. Now that the latest little contractor uprising has been violently crushed it becomes clear that contractors now must try to put as much cash into personal savings as they can for as long as they can until the end comes.

Johnny Dollar Sign is not a poor leader. Johnny Dollar Sign is just about the toughest executive you'll ever come up against. Rest assured he'll find a way to use Spencer Patton in a way that will serve as a reminder to the rest of you that Johnny Dollar Sign is the new undisputed Don of FXG.