Feeder bid back to package car? HATE feeders

ManInBrown

Best advice I can give to the OP is don’t listen to anyone telling your you’re crazy if you go back. If you feel it’s not for you, then it’s not for you. Go back. Feeders isn’t fun and games. It’s great we do nothing but drive. I haven’t touched cardboard in years. But if your head isn’t in it you’re not driving an ice cream truck down Apple st. You get into an accident on the freeway, decent chance you’re dead. You gotta be all in. It’s a dangerous job.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
But my local is the only one where its two classifications. He should’ve maintained his package seniority for feeder job picks. So why is he working at midnight? Newer package driver?

No I'm 6 years in. From my understanding I lose senority for a year and then after a year it kicks in.
Like @BigUnionGuy said, it depends on your supplement. A lot places allow your package seniority to dovetail into feeders, mine does not. You will start at the bottom no matter how many years you have. I got lucky in my situation to where I got in at the beginning of a massive feeder driver hiring increase so I wasn’t at the bottom for long. Other places, you could be a bottom feeder for a long time.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Back when I went into feeders from package (1985), package car drivers were working 11-12 hour days. When I got home, my kids were already in bed. Even though I worked nights in feeders initially, I still had more time with my family than I did in package. I just had to sacrifice or move around some sleep time.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Lots of package car drivers would see their families more if they worked nights. I'm not sure how getting home at 8 or 9 pm is better for family life.

I'm thinking this is about something else.
The first month is a total chaos. It takes 6 months to get comfortable. Some people just cant handle that initial pressure.

oldupsman

That's the way it was in my local. I kept the 8 years in package as company seniority, but I started at the bottom in feeders.

Like @BigUnionGuy said, it depends on your supplement. A lot places allow your package seniority to dovetail into feeders, mine does not. You will start at the bottom no matter how many years you have. I got lucky in my situation to where I got in at the beginning of a massive feeder driver hiring increase so I wasn’t at the bottom for long. Other places, you could be a bottom feeder for a long time.
Not allowing your seniority to count when you go from packages to feeder has to be the most absolute
stupidest policy I have ever heard. I can't imagine why anyone would even accept it.

over9five

Staff member
Not allowing your seniority to count when you go from packages to feeder has to be the most absolute
stupidest policy I have ever heard. I can't imagine why anyone would even accept it.
Really weird that a local would agree to screw over seniority drivers. Had to be some payoffs made.

WannaBeFeeder

Had the opportunity to go into feeders. Figured I'd try to save on my body. Did 2 weeks training didn't mind it. got my cdl, and then have been out on my own for two weeks covering vacations. I HATE it. It's not for me at all. I want to go back to package car since my old route hasn't been taken yet. I'm hearing I'm locked in for 3 years? Is there no qualification period??... I'm stuck here now with no other way to get out besides quit UPS in general which I don't want to do. Is this right?? Anyone know? Local in Michigan.
How long were you in package ?

Last edited:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I can see it both ways. You may have a 10 year package driver bid into feeders, and he can bump a feeder driver with 9.5 years. I can understand why a 9.5 year feeder driver would be upset if a feeder newby moved ahead of him without paying his dues, so to speak. I didn't mind starting over as long as everyone had the same rules to follow.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
There are a lot of policies in place that we never “accepted”. The people that speak for us spoke over us.

oldupsman

I can see it both ways. You may have a 10 year package driver bid into feeders, and he can bump a feeder driver with 9.5 years. I can understand why a 9.5 year feeder driver would be upset if a feeder newby moved ahead of him without paying his dues, so to speak. I didn't mind starting over as long as everyone had the same rules to follow.
What do you mean not paying his dues? What? Driving a package car safely all day every day isn't as hard as feeders?

oldupsman

There are a lot of policies in place that we never “accepted”. The people that speak for us spoke over us.
Gee, isn't that why you have union meetings? To speak up if you're unhappy? And I'd sure be unhappy
about that policy. We would laugh at that policy in my local.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Exactly

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
In our hub package drivers would wait 20 or more years and then come into feeder to have cush day jobs .

If you like variety just stay on the relief list and do a different job every week. I really liked that for awhile.