Getting rehired and seniority

J.D. Hogg

About a month ago, a part-time employee had a temper tantrum and quit in the middle of the shift without saying a word to anyone.
They just walked off the property.

Now they are trying to come back, and management is ok with it.

Will the employee lose seniority?

boxerdan

My thoughts are:

If they've worked here a long time and have a lot of seniority, then blowing up is completely understandable.

If they haven't worked here long, it really doesn't matter.

Sorry I know this wasn't helpful.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I love when these little millennials cry and pout and quit, then realize what a dumb decision they made. Although no one wants to be preload forever , if @Dragon and his ORS ever would train anyone then they probably wouldn’t quit .. UPS OWES THEM NOTHING
UPS IS THE BEST JOB OUT THERE
✊🧔

542thruNthru

About a month ago, a part-time employee had a temper tantrum and quit in the middle of the shift without saying a word to anyone.
They just walked off the property.

Now they are trying to come back, and management is ok with it.

Will the employee lose seniority?
How long was the member gone. Was he officially fired?

If it was just the one day and the company didn't terminate him than no he won't lose seniority.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
he should convince everyone around him that's its not worth sticking around at UPS. pretty easy.
We used to cat call and yell “fresh meat” every time they would walk a new class of new hires through the hub. They looked like deer in the headlights. Good times.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
If they have to officially jump through all the hoops related to getting hired the first time, then they should assume they lost their seniority.

Otherwise it's possible the center never started the process. I see it all the time, people gone for a week or more never officially fired and they just let them keep going. They like to issue a warning letter first to new people (and people they like) before going the full 9 yards.

with that being said, never be absent 3 days in a row, they can and will fire you under the contract. The exception is only for idiots who likely don't even know we're union.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

We used to cat call and yell “fresh meat” every time they would walk a new class of new hires through the hub. They looked like deer in the headlights. Good times.
We used to do the same thing but it was more like Shawshank redemption.

"Hey new fish!"

"Oh yeah look at that one he's pretty!"

We'd also yell out how long we though each one would last.

Yeet

We used to do the same thing but it was more like Shawshank redemption.

"Hey new fish!"

"Oh yeah look at that one he's pretty!"

We'd also yell out how long we though each one would last.
Yup. That sounds about right 😂. It was a different place back then. Sink or swim and no one is going to coddle you. No one would even bother learning your name until after you made seniority because of how high the new hire turn over was.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I love when these little millennials cry and pout and quit, then realize what a dumb decision they made. Although no one wants to be preload forever , if @Dragon and his ORS ever would train anyone then they probably wouldn’t quit .. UPS OWES THEM NOTHING
UPS IS THE BEST JOB OUT THERE
✊🧔
Don't forget, they were raised in an era of everyone gets a trophy, social promotion, and unlimited chances.

542thruNthru

Yup. That sounds about right 😂. It was a different place back then. Sink or swim and no one is going to coddle you. No one would even bother learning your name until after you made seniority because of how high the new hire turn over was.
Hell I used to name all the new hires. I'd been there the longest. Next closets person was 3 years behind me at the time.

Even after they made seniority people still didn't know their names.

"Hey Snowflake go help Grimace down at the bottom of the pen. Tell Smiley to stack out!"

Yeet

It's kind of funny. Pt days you would mess with the new guys. Now as a driver we all try and help the new guys lol.
That’s because those new drivers already made it through the hub. Some of the time they are a buddy you used to load with back in the day and already had respect for them. New hires are unproven and everyone has to earn that respect here. That’s one of the things I always liked about UPS. Respect was hard to get and it took a long time, but once you got it, you got it and you earned it.

Yeet

Hell I used to name all the new hires. I'd been there the longest. Next closets person was 3 years behind me at the time.

Even after they made seniority people still didn't know their names.

"Hey Snowflake go help Grimace down at the bottom of the pen. Tell Smiley to stack out!"
“Oh, and go relieve Bob down bottom, he’s over due for his break.”