Had a few questions for you FT Express drivers

amazondriverdude

1) If you are full time, do they have a guarantee of a minimum amount of hours. So, lets say you only work 28 hours because it's dead. Will they pay you for 35 hours or whatever the guarantee is?
2) Do they have yearly raises? What hourly wage do you max out at?
3) Do they give you paid time off right away or do you have to work there for a year?
4) How is health insurance compared to something you would find on healthcare.gov (Obamacare)?

Thanks

vantexan

1) If you are full time, do they have a guarantee of a minimum amount of hours. So, lets say you only work 28 hours because it's dead. Will they pay you for 35 hours or whatever the guarantee is?
3) Do they give you paid time off right away or do you have to work there for a year?
4) How is health insurance compared to something you would find on healthcare.gov (Obamacare)?

Thanks
1) FT is guaranteed 35 hrs. A mgr gets in trouble if he only lets you work 28 without finding you more work. FedEx hates giving away free money.
2) In theory under the plan they came up with a few years ago you top out in 9 years. In practice they don't always give what you're scheduled to get. So expect 15-20 years, maybe more.
3) Depends on when you were hired. If hired June 1st you would accrue 2 weeks your first year that you could take the next fiscal year. If hired in Dec. 1st, just for example, you would only accrue 1 week towards the next fiscal year. So in your first 18 months you'd only have one week off. That happened to me. Because of low seniority as a rehire I couldn't get any weeks I wanted. Ended up with only one week off in my first 22 months back. You get 3 weeks after 5 years, 4 after 10, and 5 after 20.
4)Don't know but you should consider FedEx health insurance primarily a catastrophic policy that'll pick up most of the cost of something very serious but will still leave you owing plenty.

You should consider getting on with UPS if you want good pay and benefits.

MassWineGuy

I wonder if Fred has the same United Health Care plan as we do.

For next year I’m going to closely examine the plans available under the ACA.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service

Thanks
Don't waste your time pursuing FedEx Express. If you're gonna switch, go for the big dog UPS. Best wages, benefits. I spent 17 years at Express, never came close to top rate. Compare that to 4 years, guaranteed by contract, at UPS. I'm already at top rate now, surpassing my best FedEx years just 2 years in at UPS. What can Brown do for you?

MassWineGuy

Don't waste your time pursuing FedEx Express. If you're gonna switch, go for the big dog UPS. Best wages, benefits. I spent 17 years at Express, never came close to top rate. Compare that to 4 years, guaranteed by contract, at UPS. I'm already at top rate now, surpassing my best FedEx years just 2 years in at UPS. What can Brown do for you?

Got to agree. Both companies are laser-focused on money. But UPS seems to be run by people who actually know how to run the business. Not just the dumb-looking inept son of the founder. And corporate would be ecstatic if it could get rid of union involvement. Won’t happen, of course. If you want more of a career than a job, UPS is it. The money is very good. Best benefits package in the known or unknown universe.

MassWineGuy

I will stress, however, that on a day to day level I’m treated a LOT better at FedEx than I was in my admittedly limited experience at UPS. You get tired of managers telling you what a piece of [noun goes here] you are.

Still, if you do the job and can live with union actions that are not always in your best interests, apply. If you’re young and can give it 29 years or so, you’ll have a decent enough pension.

throwaway10

I've run at both, at UPS they get every penny out of you. You are definitely paid what you are worth to the company. I never had a problem with management.. At FedEx management expects you to bend over backwards for their inability to plan, and when things go south(generally because of bad decisions) they tend lean heavily on hourlys and lash out if you are unwilling.

whenIgetthere

I've run at both, at UPS they get every penny out of you. You are definitely paid what you are worth to the company. I never had a problem with management.. At FedEx management expects you to bend over backwards for their inability to plan, and when things go south(generally because of bad decisions) they tend lean heavily on hourlys and lash out if you are unwilling.
I agree. I am T-S, look at next weeks schedule and I am scheduled to run someone else's route on Monday. Didn't sign up, so I told my manager, my wife and I are scheduled to get our vaccine Monday morning, so it ain't happening.