I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

I bought a truck to deliver travel trailers. Left FedEx after 11 years to do that because we weren't getting raises. It's the kind of work I enjoy but it doesn't pay. I drove 107,000 miles in 7 months and was barely breaking even but wearing out my truck. So I went back to FedEx. Of course they had a union scare while I was gone and gave some serious raises to topped out employees. Told me I would get back to top out in 7-8 years. Didn't happen and they were telling every new hire that, even 12 years after I returned. Got so bad that most new hires were quitting soon after hired. So they finally came up with a better pay plan that tops people out in 9 years. But it was just as I turned 55. Took an early pension. My knees ached all the time and still do just climbing stairs. I shouldn't have quit but had no hint they were going to give raises way back when. I was domiciled in a remote location in Colorado at the time. Was given a 39 cent raise 2 months before I quit. Went from $13.11 to $13.50 in an expensive area and mgr told me I'd better enjoy it, last one I'm going to see for a long time. And that was first I had in over 4 years. Got angry and quit. I have seriously paid for that. If I hadn't quit I would have been at $16.11 a little over a year later. With some more adjustments to follow. Would have been making over $26hr when I retired and would have a better pension. Hindsight is 20/20. I got rehired for the pension and as I sit here at nearly 10 a.m. I'm glad I did because a lot of jobs didn't offer a traditional pension then, most don't now. If one wants to go to work until their late 60's to pay for things they want more power to them. I want to see the world and having an independent income allows that. Would prefer an even bigger income and a couple hundred thousand in the bank, who wouldn't? But I'll take the freedom over the alternative.
so you were making $16 driving tractor trailer?

how long ago was this?

rickyb

“I think you were misinformed,”
-Jamie Dimon

Can you be more specific?

1. Bailout money given to JPM

2. Please also include the bailout that JPM gave the govt. (if you include the financial crisis, I count 3)

3. And include the details on the billions in fines. What were they for? Who was the money given to?

Recessions are part of the cycle, why be afraid of them?
no i cant do this easily.

i know whatever fines they got was just the cost of doing business.

i dont think they bailed out the govt. never heard of that. but i did hear of the govt lending them money for free and then the banks lending it back to the govt at interest and making money off it.

youre right recessions are part of the cycle of capitalism, but they can be severe and therefore we should be afraid. even if theyre not severe, peoples lives get destroyed.

if you watched keiser report all these years you couldve got a good chuckle and known something about white collar banking and govt crime.

Last edited:

rickyb

i heard ford is coming out with a new SUV.

its called the ford :censored2:.

oh and the corporations and govt who promote "free markets" yea thats all a bunch of BS. its free markets for you because they want you to go bankrupt, but police states for them and bailouts.

Richard D. Wolff‏Verified account @profwolff

Ford Motor's Argentinian subsidiary had managers who tortured militant workers in the 1970s. Managers found guilty in trial, will go to prison.

Another one of those costs of capitalism that economists dont count. #HowCapitalismWorks

rickyb

No Ricky, in 1997 I went after 4 years of no raises as a courier from $13.11 to $13.50hr.
and minimum wage back then was roughly $4.50?

its hard for me to calculate what you earned since one of my economists isnt commenting on it and inflation makes it difficult.

driving trucks is dangerous. lanes are too narrow. especially on bridges.

no i cant do this easily.

i know whatever fines they got was just the cost of doing business.

i dont think they bailed out the govt. never heard of that. but i did hear of the govt lending them money for free and then the banks lending it back to the govt at interest and making money off it.

youre right recessions are part of the cycle of capitalism, but they can be severe and therefore we should be afraid. even if theyre not severe, peoples lives get destroyed.

if you watched keiser report all these years you couldve got a good chuckle and known something about white collar banking and govt crime.
It’s not hard to educate yourself. Without JPM the US govt might not exist. The US had 2 decades of stagnation.

rickyb

The panic of 1873.
The panic of 1893.

According to your guys, probably the best time in America.
dont remember hearing about them

im guessing they would say best time in america was 1960s or when the natives dominated because their economic system was actually sustainable.

vantexan

and minimum wage back then was roughly $4.50?

its hard for me to calculate what you earned since one of my economists isnt commenting on it and inflation makes it difficult.

driving trucks is dangerous. lanes are too narrow. especially on bridges.
No, pretty sure minimum wage in '97 was about $7hr. Don't know where you keep getting the big truck idea, I was a FedEx courier. Vans, stepvans.

rickyb

No, pretty sure minimum wage in '97 was about $7hr. Don't know where you keep getting the big truck idea, I was a FedEx courier. Vans, stepvans.
oh ok. i was talking about federal minimum wage.

what do they make now? i know UPS guys here make $30 roughly.

fedex isnt unionized right?

vantexan

oh ok. i was talking about federal minimum wage.

what do they make now? i know UPS guys here make $30 roughly.

fedex isnt unionized right?
Right, no union. There are 5 payscales now, depends where you live. Top pay is about $27hr to I think about $31hr depending on payscale. Takes 9 years to top out depending on whether FedEx keeps their word.

rickyb

Right, no union. There are 5 payscales now, depends where you live. Top pay is about $27hr to I think about $31hr depending on payscale. Takes 9 years to top out depending on whether FedEx keeps their word.
holy :censored2: 9 years. when i was at UPS a few years ago it was 2.5 to top out.

at my job were unionized but we essentially have wage cuts because the company is always trying to take stuff away thats not on the collective agreement.

rickyb

michael hudson says because we dont have a debt write off of student debt, mortgage debt, etc, that we are spending more and more disposable income on debt. our economy has been taken over by a creditor class. our future is the greeks; neofeudalism.

rickyb

ok first of all why are you reading the NY post? its tabloid and will melt your brain.

look there tons of useless people that get hard working peoples money like the very few number of shareholders who own most of the stock market (aka capitalism), these big money mega churches, politicians like donald trump and hillary clinton, etc.

you can blame millenials all day (and i agree they are pathetic like other generations), but when half of america is poor thats more than just millenials.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
ok first of all why are you reading the NY post? its tabloid and will melt your brain.

look there tons of useless people that get hard working peoples money like the very few number of shareholders who own most of the stock market (aka capitalism), these big money mega churches, politicians like donald trump and hillary clinton, etc.

you can blame millenials all day (and i agree they are pathetic like other generations), but when half of america is poor thats more than just millenials.
You typed all that and didn’t answer my question.

I have my reasons for reading the Post. Trust me, I read many other newspapers.