I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Most of the new manufacturing jobs involve computer aided tasks. Everyone there had to be trained in job skills they did not have before these companies opened.
It's not just the jobs but the schools around there that made it possible to bring in these high-tech manufacturing jobs.
Like I said, there's a reason they located in the poorest part of the country.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Like I said, there's a reason they located in the poorest part of the country.
Well, that was not in the show nor do I understand your inference.
My takeaway is that one-man made a difference in bringing wealth to this community.
If he had not come along, these new high-tech manufacturing jobs wouldn't be located there.

vantexan

It really was inspiring and a Capitalist win ... unusual for 60 minutes.

One aspect that was not brought forward in previous posts is that these are not the same type of manufacturing jobs of the 60's.
Most of the new manufacturing jobs involve computer aided tasks. Everyone there had to be trained in job skills they did not have before these companies opened.
Actually I did say that further up the thread. The fallacy going around is high tech factories only need a few humans to push a few buttons. These are quality jobs that do require skills and training. When I was in Cleveland, TN had a Whirlpool factory there that employed a couple thousand people. VW built a factory nearby that employed a lot. Quite a bit of manufacturing there. Thriving small city. It's either go this route or have a permanent underclass moving from McJob to McJob, or ending up in jail. Time we start rebuilding after all the decades of closures.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Well, that was not in the show nor do I understand your inference.
My takeaway is that one-man made a difference in bringing wealth to this community.
If he had not come along, these new high-tech manufacturing jobs wouldn't be located there.
Couldn't afford workers anywhere else because there's really no place for manufacturing jobs in an advanced economy. If they succeed, they price themselves out of the labor market. Not to mention the government subsidies they needed. While I think it's great for them, it's not a long term solution that can be used everywhere, which is why I said it's a poor example to use in defense of manufacturing jobs.

These jobs make great political fodder but theyre really just a distraction.

vantexan

Couldn't afford workers anywhere else because there's really no place for manufacturing jobs in an advanced economy. If they succeed, they price themselves out of the labor market. Not to mention the government subsidies they needed. While I think it's great for them, it's not a long term solution that can be used everywhere, which is why I said it's a poor example to use in defense of manufacturing jobs.

No, what you need are workers who appreciate having a good job as opposed to no job. There are plenty of Rust Belt towns with a ready and willing workforce. They're hoping Trump will succeed the way that Mississippi leader did and bring jobs. Whether they have a bright future if factories arrive will depend on whether they are satisfied with good jobs or will unionize to push for more and more. There certainly was a time when people worked for little in brutal conditions. Unions protected them. A good job in a modern factory shouldn't require that kind of protection. Of course there are those that don't want this kind of future, especially if it means Republican ideas succeeded. Judging by winning Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and elsewhere there are plenty of Democrats willing to give Republican ideas a try.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No, what you need are workers who appreciate having a good job as opposed to no job. There are plenty of Rust Belt towns with a ready and willing workforce. They're hoping Trump will succeed the way that Mississippi leader did and bring jobs. Whether they have a bright future if factories arrive will depend on whether they are satisfied with good jobs or will unionize to push for more and more. There certainly was a time when people worked for little in brutal conditions. Unions protected them. A good job in a modern factory shouldn't require that kind of protection. Of course there are those that don't want this kind of future, especially if it means Republican ideas succeeded. Judging by winning Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and elsewhere there are plenty of Democrats willing to give Republican ideas a try.
Why am I not surprised the fredex shill used this as an opportunity to make an argument against unions.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

We can agree to disagree.
I like small owner businesses over Corporations ...
I like local government over the US National Government.

I hope we can capture that pride we use to have in manufacturing.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We can agree to disagree.
I like small owner businesses over Corporations ...
I like local government over the US National Government.

I hope we can capture that pride we use to have in manufacturing.
The state solution seems geographically arbitrary. I'm sure people in other parts of Mississippi are thrilled their tax dollars went to subsidizing this business hundreds of miles away.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Then getting them to locate there was deemed worth it. Not the only factory there though. Is it hatred of corporations that drives you?
I'm all for corporations that can succeed without government handouts. I think that's just going to be a fundamental difference between me and liberals like you. I respect your opinion I just disagree.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our local area has become a transportation manufacturing cluster. Nova Bus, Bombardier and their respective suppliers (Spencer ARL, BC3G, etc) have all set up shop here. Norsk Titanium, which specializes in 3-D printing, is working with the state on a manufacturing complex. Montreal (Canada) recently put their first all electric bus in to service, a bus that was built at a Nova Bus plant.

Our local community college is building an Advanced Manufacturing Institute (AMI) in order to "train" locals to work in these facilities (I hate to call them factories as that tends to diminish their purpose). These are good paying, solid jobs---I know because my former nephew has one and he is doing quite well for himself.

Many of these advancements were the result of cooperation at all levels of government along with PILOT and other tax incentives.