I resigned, not terminated??

Hola;

Long time viewer, 1st-time poster. I just noticed this on my retirement portal.
view

I resigned, I wasn't terminated AFAIK. Is this just semantics, or was I termed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hola;

Long time viewer, 1st-time poster. I just noticed this on my retirement portal.
view

I resigned, I wasn't terminated AFAIK. Is this just semantics, or was I termed?
FB128C93-8E27-4030-814A-FD50094F7A28.jpeg

Seriously though, you might want to call someone and straighten this out, before you become a distant memory.

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I don't see it either.

Why are you asking 4 years, 3 months later? It might make a difference when you're looking for another job. If that job checks with FedEx, they would say you were fired.
No they wouldn’t. The only thing they will say is Scott worked at FedEx from A-Z. No specifics of why he left.

fedx

Extra Large Package
No they wouldn’t. The only thing they will say is Scott worked at FedEx from A-Z. No specifics of why he left.
The way they get around the whole "was he fired or did he quit" is they ask HR "is he/she eligible for rehire?" That's how they get around it. If HR says "no he/she isn't eligible for rehire", then they assume that person was fired. It's dirty tactics and it's just asking the same question in a different way. It shouldn't be legal, but it is. I've talked to an HR rep at a different company about how companies get around that issue and was told they use the "eligible for rehire" question to bypass the whole legal issue.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The way they get around the whole "was he fired or did he quit" is they ask HR "is he/she eligible for rehire?" That's how they get around it. If HR says "no he/she isn't eligible for rehire", then they assume that person was fired. It's dirty tactics and it's just asking the same question in a different way. It shouldn't be legal, but it is. I've talked to an HR rep at a different company about how companies get around that issue and was told they use the "eligible for rehire" question to bypass the whole legal issue.

The eligibility question says nothing about whether you were fired or had quit. Some quit without appropriate notice. They aren't eligible for rehire.

At the time my manager asked if I wanted to be there after spinal fusion surgery. I said no, we started the resignation process. I should just call him and ask?

fedx

Extra Large Package
The eligibility question says nothing about whether you were fired or had quit. Some quit without appropriate notice. They aren't eligible for rehire.
The eligibility question lets a prospective employer know if they should hire you or not. Whether you were fired or didn't give 2 weeks notice or whatever. If you aren't eligible for rehire, then that's a red flag to a prospective employer not to hire you. My point was that when one company calls another about a work verification, the old employer doesn't just say "he/she worked for us from this date to this date. Thanks bye." They throw in that eligibility for rehire question to let the new potential employer to know what they're getting into.

vantexan

The eligibility question lets a prospective employer know if they should hire you or not. Whether you were fired or didn't give 2 weeks notice or whatever. If you aren't eligible for rehire, then that's a red flag to a prospective employer not to hire you. My point was that when one company calls another about a work verification, the old employer doesn't just say "he/she worked for us from this date to this date. Thanks bye." They throw in that eligibility for rehire question to let the new potential employer to know what they're getting into.
From what I've heard there have been so many lawsuits over this that most employers now just verify that they did work for them.

fedx

Extra Large Package
From what I've heard there have been so many lawsuits over this that most employers now just verify that they did work for them.
There's always one way to find out if you think you're being "blackballed" by your old employer. Call the HR department of your old company pretending to be HR for a company verifying for a prospective employee who just happens to be you. Record the conversation and ask them if you were fired. Ask them if you are eligible for rehire. If they bad mouth you, you got it on tape and then you can sue your old employer.

vantexan

There's always one way to find out if you think you're being "blackballed" by your old employer. Call the HR department of your old company pretending to be HR for a company verifying for a prospective employee who just happens to be you. Record the conversation and ask them if you were fired. Ask them if you are eligible for rehire. If they bad mouth you, you got it on tape and then you can sue your old employer.
Except a lot of States make it illegal to record others without their permission. Amazing to me that someone can do you wrong but if you try to get evidence recording them you're the one who gets in trouble.