Inflation

Karma...

inflation degrades all of our working pay and pensions.....I could be wrong but the i.a.m pension is adjusted for inflation.....it was back in my fathers day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
inflation degrades all of our working pay and pensions.....I could be wrong but the i.a.m pension is adjusted for inflation.....it was back in my fathers day.
Where does the money come from to increase pension benefits for those who are retired and no longer work there?

Karma...

the i.a.m. runs a terrific financial pension plan with long term in mind.....much to be learned from them....my dad was very very happy with them.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Where does the money come from to increase pension benefits for those who are retired and no longer work there?

Employer contributions….

And please don’t go to “they can’t afford that”.

We just went through a pandemic on the same scale as 1917..will we see another 11 percent increase with the the world’s inflationary numbers in our lifetime.

What is the standard inflation rate now a days
5 percent. How come our Social Security Administration can afford to have one and these corporations can not. Do the math a 5 percent (COLA) boost on a 3,000 pension is an extra 150 dollars a month.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Employer contributions….

We just went through a pandemic on the same scale as 1917..will we see another 11 percent increase with the the world’s inflationary numbers in our lifetime.

5 percent. How come our Social Security Administration can afford to have one and these corporations can not. Do the math a 5 percent (COLA) boost on a 3,000 pension is an extra 150 dollars a month.
Because the government just prints more paper money

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Employer contributions….

The employer is not interested in contributing to a pension fund on behalf of employees that are no longer on the payroll.
It's not that they can't, it's that they wont and I don't blame them.

Comparing a private sector pension fund to Social Security (which projected to go insolvent) is nowhere near an apples to apples comparison.

....and there is no "standard inflation rate", just historical trends and it's nowhere 11% or even 5 %, it's actually about half that.

Conversely if you examine the statistical data for any similar extended period of time, you will realize that our raises have outpaced inflation, which is what allowed top scale to climb all the way into the low $40s/hr and will be nearly $50/hr by the end of this contract.

It's comical to watch people who believe that UPS is in business to provide them a job and total financial security all the way to the grave.

What is being proposed in this thread will never happen,....ever.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
The employer is not interested in contributing to a pension fund on behalf of employees that are no longer on the payroll.

Comparing a private sector pension fund to Social Security (which projected to go insolvent) is nowhere near an apples to apples comparison.

ever.
I've said it before---"once you retire the Union would prefer you die as soon as possible" and also I can remember as far back as when I was in 5th grade ( that would have been about 1959) the talk of SS going broke was going on. As far as the Company goes you are dead the second you walk out the door on your last day.

Thebrownblob

I've said it before---"once you retire the Union would prefer you die as soon as possible" and also I can remember as far back as when I was in 5th grade ( that would have been about 1959) the talk of SS going broke was going on.
You’re really screwing up our pension plan @rod 😂

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Employers are not interested in contributing anything to their employees period.

That was the reason that Unions started in the first place.

So the Company is still dictating our Contracts or have always been. Anybody that has done any research into our pension concerns knows what is coming down the line in 2028, and it wouldn’t be beneficial if the general attitude is “they won’t do that” and I don’t blame them.

We all know that will not happen (insolvent).

....and there is no "standard inflation rate", just historical trends and it's nowhere 11% or even 5 %, it's actually about half that.

So it would only be a 75 dollar a month (COLA) increase with a 2.5 inflation rate.

Conversely if you examine the statistical data for any similar extended period of time, you will realize that our raises have outpaced inflation, which is what allowed top scale to climb all the way into the low $40s/hr and will be nearly $50/hr by the end of this contract.

Guess what not everyone is making 40 dollars an hour currently and probably over 75 percent of our members will never see a near 50.

It's comical to watch people who believe that UPS is in business to provide them a job and total financial security all the way to the grave.

Anyone that is working and those who have retired are not the ones who got ant entitlements, study the salaries of these executives if you want to know who really obtained “total financial security all the way to the grave” and their children’s children.

You might want to reset your belief system on why we belong to a collective bargaining system..appeasement never works … especially in labor relations…(People helping People) remember that one.

Over70irregs

True inflation. Not CPLie….
1691621303378.png

Commercial Inside Release

That chart kind of illustrates a key difference between the current inflationary period, with the inflation of the early 80s. The massive gap between the truth (real inflation,) and the lies (official inflation.)

In the 80s you could earn 10-18% interest for doing nothing.
Today, we'll be lucky if can get 6-10% (when we should be at 12-20% right now.)

Plus, jobs are now being lost, food cost is inflating, energy is being squeezed (making food go higher still,) consumer confidence is wavering going into Fall & Winter, the Fed is probably going to hike rates 4 more times before the election, and the election means nothing is going to change until possibly Summer of '25...

And through it all, the average American's checking & savings account is still only earning 0.1% to 0.17% monthly interest.