Is FedEx Prepared?

Oldfart

Sleep deprived drivers pulling tanks of flammable liquid, what could go wrong?
You don't believe drivers who only work 10 hrs or so don't stay up later than they should and get up too early? I know plenty of people that are on 4 and 5 hrs of sleep and still put in 10 and 12 hr days. Everyone's rest needs are different. It is up to the driver to decide when he needs to rest, relaxing the rules short term just gives them 1 less thing to worry about.

Star B

White Lightening
Sleep deprived drivers pulling tanks of flammable liquid, what could go wrong?
It's so hard sitting in line at the depot. I'm sure that's where most of the time is getting eaten up, not wheel time.

Also, this isn't the first time that the exemption has been issued. If it was such a safety danger do you think they would keep allowing it?

bbsam

Staff member
It's so hard sitting in line at the depot. I'm sure that's where most of the time is getting eaten up, not wheel time.

Also, this isn't the first time that the exemption has been issued. If it was such a safety danger do you think they would keep allowing it?
Yes. Money is at stake.

bbsam

Staff member
Tanker drivers are the most careful truck drivers out there. They know they're pulling a potential bomb. A short term relaxation in the rules because of a state of emergency won't hurt anyone.
Here's how silly that is:

Texting and driving is dangerous. As long as I only do it two or three times a day, nobody's going to get hurt.

State of emergency really has nothing to do with it. Part of the reason they are the safest is because the rules are in place.

It will be fine

Tanker drivers are the most careful truck drivers out there. They know they're pulling a potential bomb. A short term relaxation in the rules because of a state of emergency won't hurt anyone.
Recipe for disaster if you ask me. Tell these guys it's an emergency and they don't need to rest like they normally do. They'll push themselves well past their limits in the belief that it's necessary for the greater good.

Oldfart

Recipe for disaster if you ask me. Tell these guys it's an emergency and they don't need to rest like they normally do. They'll push themselves well past their limits in the belief that it's necessary for the greater good.
So you say drivers will risk their personal safety to serve others in need? How will they be serving others if they hurt themselves in the process? These drivers are adults and know their safety comes first.

It will be fine

So you say drivers will risk their personal safety to serve others in need? How will they be serving others if they hurt themselves in the process? These drivers are adults and know their safety comes first.
Yes, I'm certain Texans will absolutely risk their own personal safety to serve others in need. That's the problem, the rules exist to protect them from themselves.

bacha29

Instead of carping back and forth the better thing to do is to get ready for Irma . Right now some early computer models say it will either shoot the gap and hit Texas again give South Carolina some loving or come up into the New Jersey, New York and New England area. Should have a better idea next weekend.

Oldfart

Yes, I'm certain Texans will absolutely risk their own personal safety to serve others in need. That's the problem, the rules exist to protect them from themselves.
I love my family and living too much to risk my life doing unsafe acts. I guess everyone in Texas doesn't feel the same.

Oldfart

You don't need to tell us that you are selfish and unwilling to sacrifice for others. I'd bet most Texans are very different than you.
LOL Hurting myself and maybe even dying trying to deliver goods to Texas serves nobody. If you could jump off a bridge and die and in return everyone in Texas lives would return to normal, would you?

bacha29

Guys the lessons of Sandy, Katrina and now Harvey are what really matters as well as whether or not those lessons will be heeded but in the meantime two obvious measures need taken . First, get those damn people back away from the coast. The cost of rebuilding entire cities every few years is busting the federal treasury. Second and hopefully Southern cities such as Houston will finally realize the benefits of zoning including not allowing upscale housing developments to be built directly below reservoir spillways.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Even though there's no evidence past exemptions have caused any problems?

Oldfart

Guys the lessons of Sandy, Katrina and now Harvey are what really matters as well as whether or not those lessons will be heeded but in the meantime two obvious measures need taken . First, get those damn people back away from the coast. The cost of rebuilding entire cities every few years is busting the federal treasury. Second and hopefully Southern cities such as Houston will finally realize the benefits of zoning including not allowing upscale housing developments to be built directly below reservoir spillways.
So you are gonna rezone the 4th largest city in the country? You are then gonna make every person on the Gulf coast relocate. Interesting

bacha29

So you are gonna rezone the 4th largest city in the country? You are then gonna make every person on the Gulf coast relocate. Interesting
Insurers will decide that question. State Farm pulled out of some the hurricane areas prone of Florida a few years back. No one is stopping someone from rebuilding on the edge of coastal waters but it might become harder to find an insurer to write a policy for them. As for Houston the powers that be will have to decide if rebuilding in the same areas is worth the risk of FEMA not coming in and rebuilding the city if it gets blown away again by a hurricane. Right now FEMA is saying that it has 3.3 billion in reserve but that is a small fraction of what is believed will be needed. Reports coming the from auto insurance industry today estimate the loss just from all the destroyed cars to approach 5 billion dollars. Not to mention 53 school buildings heavily damaged with 22 of them totally destroyed.

Oldfart

Insurers will decide that question. State Farm pulled out of some the hurricane areas prone of Florida a few years back. No one is stopping someone from rebuilding on the edge of coastal waters but it might become harder to find an insurer to write a policy for them. As for Houston the powers that be will have to decide if rebuilding in the same areas is worth the risk of FEMA not coming in and rebuilding the city if it gets blown away again by a hurricane. Right now FEMA is saying that it has 3.3 billion in reserve but that is a small fraction of what is believed will be needed. Reports coming the from auto insurance industry today estimate the loss just from all the destroyed cars to approach 5 billion dollars. Not to mention 53 school buildings heavily damaged with 22 of them totally destroyed.
Did they rebuild New Orleans or did they leave it torn up after Katrina?