Is FedEx Prepared?

oldrps

If 50 inches of rain falls in less than a week in any city, it is going to flood. Houston does have regular flooding, but nothing to this scale as this was a historic rainfall that no city is prepared for.

bacha29

If 50 inches of rain falls in less than a week in any city, it is going to flood. Houston does have regular flooding, but nothing to this scale as this was a historic rainfall that no city is prepared for.
But how much can you continue to spend rebuilding the same flood prone areas year after year? Sooner or late somebody is going to say, "enough is enough move these people to higher ground and be done with it".

vantexan

But how much can you continue to spend rebuilding the same flood prone areas year after year? Sooner or late somebody is going to say, "enough is enough move these people to higher ground and be done with it".
Definitely not the norm. If they keep getting hit like this Houston will become much smaller. As is the rebuilding is going to result in a lot of economic activity. The sheer amount of vehicles needing replacement alone will be a huge boost.

Oldfart

So Houston has flooded in the past? I guess I didn't listen to the news that day. When exactly was that?
I watched the news when New Orleans flooded, but it is almost 400 miles away. Do we make everyone that lives on every coast move?

Oklahoma has a fair share of tornados. I suppose Oklahoma City and Tulsa residents will need to be relocated because taxpayers don't need to keep funding recovery efforts.

Those crazy people in California need to be relocated as well. Those wildfires are costing taxpayers way too much money to fight. Just move everyone in the state and let the woods burn.

Last edited:

vantexan

Definitely not the norm. If they keep getting hit like this Houston will become much smaller. As is the rebuilding is going to result in a lot of economic activity. The sheer amount of vehicles needing replacement alone will be a huge boost.
OK DriveInDriveOut what's wrong with my point?

bacha29

So Houston has flooded in the past? I guess I didn't listen to the news that day. When exactly was that?
I watched the news when New Orleans flooded, but it is almost 400 miles away. Do we make everyone that lives on every coast move?

Oklahoma has a fair share of tornados. I suppose Oklahoma City and Tulsa residents will need to be relocated because taxpayers don't need to keep funding recovery efforts.

Those crazy people in California need to be relocated as well. Those wildfires are costing taxpayers way too much money to fight. Just move everyone in the state and let the woods burn.
The last major hurricane to hit the Houston area directly was Hurricane Ike in 2008. Take a moment and listen to Houston's mayor. He has asked for 300 million in public dollars. What's it for? That is the estimated cost of collecting and landfilling the destroyed personal belongs. That does NOT include the cost of repairing and or replacing damaged and destroyed public and private buildings. Furthermore fewer than 20% of homeowners in the affected region had flood insurance and flooding was by far responsible for the damage incurred in the affected region.

rod

Retired 23 years

Take all those diesel VW's sitting around (there are over 6,000 of them in my home town and 10's of thousands elsewhere) and distribute them to the Texans who lost their cars.

vantexan

The last major hurricane to hit the Houston area directly was Hurricane Ike in 2008. Take a moment and listen to Houston's mayor. He has asked for 300 million in public dollars. What's it for? That is the estimated cost of collecting and landfilling the destroyed personal belongs. That does NOT include the cost of repairing and or replacing damaged and destroyed public and private buildings. Furthermore fewer than 20% of homeowners in the affected region had flood insurance and flooding was by far responsible for the damage incurred in the affected region.
Haven't seen that number. Have seen estimates of up to $180 billion.