Longshoremen’s Strike

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Looks like we might be in for a long next few months. According to my brother who works for the SC Ports, the owners approved a 40% pay increase that the Union refused. They want a 70% pay increase and zero automation at the ports. This is probably going to get ugly for everyone. Expect prices on anything coming through our ports to sky rocket. Not a peep out of Pete Buttigieg or anyone from our government.

rod

Retired 23 years

Looks like we might be in for a long next few months. According to my brother who works for the SC Ports, the owners approved a 40% pay increase that the Union refused. They want a 70% pay increase and zero automation at the ports. This is probably going to get ugly for everyone. Expect prices on anything coming through our ports to sky rocket. Not a peep out of Pete Buttigieg or anyone from our government.
I am ALL for Unions but seriously---a 40% raise turned down because they want a 70% one? Stupid stupid

rod

Retired 23 years

Average wage for a longshoreman in Long Beach, Ca.---$43.97 an hour. It's not like they are surviving on starvation wages now.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Most big shippers planned on this months ago.
They filled the warehouses with extra products to carry them over the XMas season.
What will disappear will be fresh fruits and other perishable products, unless they can be trucked to markets.
Which in turn will raise their prices.

It has been estimated that the US Economy will lose $5 billion a day in lost revenue.

This could become the worst Oct surprise on record.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
They filled the warehouses with extra products to carry them over the XMas season.
What will disappear will be fresh fruits and other perishable products, unless they can be trucked to markets.

It has been estimated that the US Economy will lose $5 billion a day in lost revenue.

5327f94edece5479bc86c393f7160375.gif

If my wife don't get her bananas she will go bananas

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
A few guys on my route are in that union. Most get a job because a family member is in the union.. They live in nice houses for sure. Furgetabout it!

40 percent raise would buy them another vacation home!