Longshoremen’s Strike

Over70irregs

Looks like we might be in for a long next few months. According to my brother who works for the SC Ports, the owners approved a 40% pay increase that the Union refused. They want a 70% pay increase and zero automation at the ports. This is probably going to get ugly for everyone. Expect prices on anything coming through our ports to sky rocket. Not a peep out of Pete Buttigieg or anyone from our government.
Automation is inevitable. They want the strike. It will put pressure for robot cranes trucks loaders.

newfie

Regardless it was a big step backwards in the labor movement.
different phase of the labor movement.
the traditional strike is one mired in the game of private industry.

government jobs are different venue and different rules.

I don't know if it really had an effect on the labor movement in private industry.

newfie

Hard to outsource a longshoreman's job to overseas:rolleyes:--but be careful--they might pull a Ronald Regan and fire everyone and hire new.
i don't think they can , are longshoreman jobs government jobs?

the big concern here i think is the automation that can eliminate jobs here. It wont eliminate them all but quite a few.

I don't know what they're going to do in 50 years when everything is automated and no one has a job to do unless its the low skilled crap that is left.

rod

Retired 23 years
I don't know what they're going to do in 50 years when everything is automated and no one has a job to do unless its the low skilled crap that is left.
At least kids don't have to hide under school desks to protect themselves from nuclear bombs like we had to. :rolleyes:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
They are stalling the inevitable unfortunately. Cake days are ending. Same with Boeing strike. They want pension back. That is NOT happening. RTW states have long term sealed fate.
Didn't the union give up the pension in the Boeing case? Good luck getting that back.

I would take less pay to keep the pension if necessary.

Over70irregs

Didn't the union give up the pension in the Boeing case? Good luck getting that back.

I would take less pay to keep the pension if necessary.
Yeah but looking forward we know the chances of collecting pensions looks bleaker. Today I would go 401k. It hurts to say that.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We got drivers making $45 an hour to put one or two percent in their 401k

I tried telling him the pension is not going to replace your paycheck and you never get an increase.
How much you need to save over 30 years in order to get $5300 a month for life? Could easily be 40 years payout.

How much you need to save over 30 years in order to get $5300 a month for life? Could easily be 40 years payout.
Depends on how much you save and how much risk you take during your lifetime

You definitely have to probably buy an annuity to guarantee some of your income
It's too risky counting on your 401k is income when you're mostly in the market

Especially with Summer wild market swings and Black swan events we had the past quarter century