New Handler DOT job

Vin71

Hello everyone. I was just hired by Express as a AM Hander (DOT). I have some friends who are couriers. I was under the impression that Handlers just work the Sorts and go home. Can a DOT qualified Handler go do bulk deliveries, pickups, shuttles, sweeps?

bacha29

Hello everyone. I was just hired by Express as a AM Hander (DOT). I have some friends who are couriers. I was under the impression that Handlers just work the Sorts and go home. Can a DOT qualified Handler go do bulk deliveries, pickups, shuttles, sweeps?
Find out first how long that station will remain open given the ongoing consolidation of Express and Ground operations. Chances are you might not be there long enough for it to really matter.

Vin71

Find out first how long that station will remain open given the ongoing consolidation of Express and Ground operations. Chances are you might not be there long enough for it to really matter.
Thanks for the reply. I was told it’s a legacy station and will remain open. It’s in NYC.

bacha29

Thanks for the reply. I was told it’s a legacy station and will remain open. It’s in NYC.
OK but just remember. At FDX believe only what you see....never what you hear. Keep an eye on the outflow of veteran drivers. If there seems to be a lot chances are their information says something different.

Vin71

OK but just remember. At FDX believe only what you see....never what you hear. Keep an eye on the outflow of veteran drivers. If there seems to be a lot chances are their information says something different.
So that means I can go on the road as a DOT Handler?

Vin71

Yes you can. At a few stations I worked in DOT handlers usually did the shuttle runs to and from the airport and occasionally did deliveries.
Cool thanks. I guess it’s just a way to save $. Because if you’re in a shuttle position (like official title) it’s a buck and change more an hr.

Artee

Are you sure you are DOT? Being DOT usually requires a physical. If you took a physical they would have found out you are the Scarecrow and lack a brain and therefore fail your physical. Why you would not ask someone in management at your station these questions and think its a better idea to jump on the ole interwebs and ask strangers that don't work at your station, is a head scratcher. But then again all your management there might be scarecrows also.

FDX loves self starters, so the best thing for you to do, would be to show them what a go getter you are. Arrive early before your AM shift and jump in the biggest and baddest DOT truck they got there. Go out and just drive around town. They will get a hold of you when they want the truck back and will be very pleased that you took the initiative to go gain valuable experience behind the wheel. This is your ticket to fast track into management. Give it a try Monday morning.

Vin71

Are you sure you are DOT? Being DOT usually requires a physical. If you took a physical they would have found out you are the Scarecrow and lack a brain and therefore fail your physical. Why you would not ask someone in management at your station these questions and think its a better idea to jump on the ole interwebs and ask strangers that don't work at your station, is a head scratcher. But then again all your management there might be scarecrows also.

FDX loves self starters, so the best thing for you to do, would be to show them what a go getter you are. Arrive early before your AM shift and jump in the biggest and baddest DOT truck they got there. Go out and just drive around town. They will get a hold of you when they want the truck back and will be very pleased that you took the initiative to go gain valuable experience behind the wheel. This is your ticket to fast track into management. Give it a try Monday morning.
Hah. Thanks for the .2 cents. I’m a green horn but I already know I can get away with filling holes as a handler who can drive.

vantexan

Getting your shots in before he figures out this isn't what he hoped it would be?

yadig

Is that what dano did?

bacha29

Hah. Thanks for the .2 cents. I’m a green horn but I already know I can get away with filling holes as a handler who can drive.
At the same time don't be overzealous or overly excited about how you do you job. The reason being is that you don't want to end up being the equivalent of a FDX contractor employed driver where the more you're willing to do the more you get to do....all for the same pay.

vantexan

At the same time don't be overzealous or overly excited about how you do you job. The reason being is that you don't want to end up being the equivalent of a FDX contractor employed driver where the more you're willing to do the more you get to do....all for the same pay.
Ignore Karen, he never worked for Express.

bacha29

Ignore Karen, he never worked for Express.
It's all going to be nearly all FDX Ground operated in the end so it's good business simply to meet the minimum requirements until this person has time to see how all this plays out. Remember, when this all began every Express facility was considered to be a so called 'legacy' facility. How's that working out for you?

vantexan

It's all going to be nearly all FDX Ground operated in the end so it's good business simply to meet the minimum requirements until this person has time to see how all this plays out. Remember, when this all began every Express facility was considered to be a so called 'legacy' facility. How's that working out for you?
When FedEx sold its traditional pension to MetLife I no longer had a connection to them. But I still have a stronger connection to Express than you do.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
When FedEx sold its traditional pension to MetLife I no longer had a connection to them. But I still have a stronger connection to Express than you do.
When FedEx sold the pension to MetLife I was a little worried. Now I’m so glad they did because despite what happens to FedEx, my checks will continue to be deposited every month.