New Video! How Social Media can destroy your JOB!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

trickpony1

(a) The parties agree that the principle of a fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer’s interest.
I've always wondered about this part.
It's as vague and obscure as anything I think I've ever heard and can/is be misinterpreted by management.

"....best represents....." could be construed as 40-50 stops per hour. Where does it end?

Semantics helping.

semantics
[səˈman(t)iks]

NOUN
  1. the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.
    • the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.
      "such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff"

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It's as vague and obscure as anything I think I've ever heard and can/is be misinterpreted by management.

"....best represents....." could be construed as 40-50 stops per hour. Where does it end?

Semantics helping.

semantics
[səˈman(t)iks]

NOUN
  1. the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.
    • the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.
      "such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff"
For sure that could mean anything.

The practical application of a fair days work simply means, do your job. Small events always happen like phone calls, texts, etc. Make them quick while on the clock and I don't think any arbitrator would see a problem with that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

It's very broadly worded.... but the only thing I've seen the company apply it to are situations as in

the OP's video, or serious customer complaints involving pkg drivers. The Union will never recognize

their numbers as a basis for discipline. People squawking about "lock in rides" is all BS.

nWo

There was a Facebook group of ups employees. And a few guys were posting their driver sups or centers phone number and having people blow their phones up. Idk if any of those dudes ever got into trouble but definitely maybe.

And we have drivers posting Snapchat videos while driving a package car. I've seen feeder drivers do it too.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Why can't these "misinterpretations" be arbitrarily made by the Union as well?

....I'm thinking specifically in instances involving safety and wellness.

quad decade guy

For sure that could mean anything.

The practical application of a fair days work simply means, do your job. Small events always happen like phone calls, texts, etc. Make them quick while on the clock and I don't think any arbitrator would see a problem with that.
I think this very bad advice.^^^^^^^^^. Leaving your fate/career to an arbitrator? Not me. At that point, the union has already failed to keep your job.....you are still taken out of service/terminated(whatever). In it's most basic sense, taking a text or personal phone call on the clock is stealing time. Define "quick".

Including using your phone for Company business. Just say no.

And define "do your job". UPS's definition can be wildly different than yours. Example: they want 200 stops and 300 pkgs....

Define "professional conduct".
It's very broadly worded.... but the only thing I've seen the company apply it to are situations as in

the OP's video, or serious customer complaints involving pkg drivers. The Union will never recognize

their numbers as a basis for discipline. People squawking about "lock in rides" is all BS.
While lock in rides are "BS"....they lead to other things. Gets you on the radar. No? Absolutely.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I think this very bad advice.^^^^^^^^^. Leaving your fate/career to an arbitrator? Not me. At that point, the union has already failed to keep your job.....you are still taken out of service/terminated(whatever). In it's most basic sense, taking a text or personal phone call on the clock is stealing time. Define "quick".

Including using your phone for Company business. Just say no.

And define "do your job". UPS's definition can be wildly different than yours. Example: they want 200 stops and 300 pkgs....

Define "professional conduct".

While lock in rides are "BS"....they lead to other things. Gets you on the radar. No? Absolutely.
I'm just saying quick interruptions happen but we always find the occasional suit monkey that thinks differently. Don't be 10 minutes on the phone after lunch guy and you will be ok.

Johney

Pineapple King
I remember a guy named STUG almost getting fired for posting pics on here of his on road not wearing a seatbelt and some pics of his DIAD next to some guns in a pawn shop.

oldngray

nowhere special
I remember a guy named STUG almost getting fired for posting pics on here of his on road not wearing a seatbelt and some pics of his DIAD next to some guns in a pawn shop.
I thought it was for stealing time by posting while on the clock.

nWo

One of our Boomer 22.4s posted this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220314-143533~3.png
    Screenshot_20220314-143533~3.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 65

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I remember back in the days of AOL, maintaining anonymity online was the name of the game, and understandably so. Then when all that Facebook nonsense came around with people using their real names and pictures, I knew things were headed nowhere good.