Officer Kim Potter Charged With Second Degree Manslaughter In The Wright Shooting

vantexan

This case is going to be a historical one. I do not disagree with you, an officer should be responsible for their actions but I think this case does not demonstrate negligence nor culpability. Yeah, there is no question the guy shouldn't have been killed but I think to prove she was negligent, they would have to prove that she did not follow training protocols. From the brief video, she followed protocols for a Taser deployment. Her belt was arranged consistent with what (most) agencies teach, and she fired just one time which, to me at least, indicates that she thought she was deploying a Taser. Of course, this is all just armchair QBing...there might be something else that is uncovered by other videos testimony.
At the very least it's going to cause a lot of officers to think twice when they decide to use their teaser.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
If your utility belt is properly arranged and you've followed the steps for taser deployment, but the taser you're supposed to be holding while doing so is actually your gun....are you really following training protocols?
You're not going to like this but...yeah she was following training protocols (from my view). She was also following training for use of her primary or strong side. This is how it works...an officer draws his / her weapon thousands of times during their career be it for training or to direct towards a threat. The mere action of drawing and aiming, dry and live firing, and re-holstering is what is called muscle memory.

Even when I went to Scottsdale to become a trainer for Taser International, the focus was on deploying the Taser properly in conjunction with the primary. The Taser gets deployed very very rarely and thus the muscle memory effect is not nearly as honed as it is with the primary. I think the onus falls on the agency to instill that muscle memory by getting the officers trained to draw weak side and cross draw (less lethal side) as much as they do for the primary side.

El Correcto

god is dead
When you are fleeing in a vehicle you are now armed with a weapon. The police do not know your intentions. They didn’t shoot a man running away in the back, they shot a non compliant man who was now behind the wheel of a deadly weapon acting a :censored2:ing ass.

From what I heard this dude also robbed a woman and used physical force against her. I find it humorous he was shot dead by a woman cop, she did the right thing accidentally or not and should not be charged.

scooby0048

If she was and her utility belt was arranged correctly then how did she end up drawing her gun instead of her taser?
Thats what I explained to you. Upon feeling a threat, the officer instinctively draws their weapon (because they have been so extensively trained to do so). It is so ingrained that it is automatic. Just like how we can use our DIAD without looking at it. The Taser is drawn far less than the primary. Her mind is telling her Taser but her body is telling her draw to subdue threat and unfortunately, that draw was the primary and not the less lethal.

oldngray

nowhere special
Minnesota Police Union Chief: Daunte Wright Would Be Alive Today If He Complied With Orders

Box Ox

Thats what I explained to you. Upon feeling a threat, the officer instinctively draws their weapon (because they have been so extensively trained to do so). It is so ingrained that it is automatic. Just like how we can use our DIAD without looking at it. The Taser is drawn far less than the primary. Her mind is telling her Taser but her body is telling her draw to subdue threat and unfortunately, that draw was the primary and not the less lethal.
Sounds like guns being mistaken for tasers should be a more common thing when officers perceive threats if it could be a valid defense argument in court.

Box Ox

Minnesota Police Union Chief: Daunte Wright Would Be Alive Today If He Complied With Orders
He isn’t wrong.

I’ve got a fear of being shot in a traffic stop. So when I’m pulled over I:

-Put the car in park and turn it off

-Put my keys, wallet and registration on the dash

-Turn on all interior lights

-Keep my hands on the wheel at all times unless specifically instructed to grab something from the dash.

-Remain polite and non-argumentative

It’s worked out for me pretty well so far. I think the officers really appreciate it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't believe that a cop was unable to tell the difference between a taser and a loaded pistol. Aside from that, I expect we'll find out what the results of the investigation are. There is no question that she caused his death, now it's a matter of determining whether it was justified or not.
Really? How could it possibly be 'justified"? It was a stupid accident caused by stress and not thinking right. There isn't a person alive who hasn't made a bad decision under pressure.

rod

Retired 22 years
so simple

scooby0048

I’ve got a fear of being shot in a traffic stop. So when I’m pulled over I:

-Put my keys, wallet and registration on the dash

It’s worked out for me pretty well so far. I think the officers really appreciate it.
Just a tip, but if you cant get your wallet out and registration placed before you stop then wait until the officer approaches and ask the officer if you can retrieve them otherwise he / she might assume you are making furtive movements and still shoot you.

It also helps if you pull far enough off the road so they are not standing with their ass in a traffic lane. Then again, you might get shot if you pulled so far off that the officer who decided to make a passenger side approach now has to stand in a field of water, snow, mud, or horse S*.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Really? How could it possibly be 'justified"? It was a stupid accident caused by stress and not thinking right. There isn't a person alive who hasn't made a bad decision under pressure.

It can be both an accident and justified. We can make assumptions at this point, but it's not for those of us in the peanut gallery to determine, just spout our opinions.

rod

Retired 22 years
Just a tip, but if you cant get your wallet out and registration placed before you stop then wait until the officer approaches and ask the officer if you can retrieve them otherwise he / she might assume you are making furtive movements and still shoot you.

It also helps if you pull far enough off the road so they are not standing with their ass in a traffic lane. Then again, you might get shot if you pulled so far off that the officer who decided to make a passenger side approach now has to stand in a field of water, snow, mud, or horse S*.
Once coming back into the USA from Canada after a fishing trip I stood up in the motorhome to get my wallet out of a cabinet as we approached the border station. One of the guards saw me and apparently assumed I was trying to hid something. Came REAL close to getting the rubber glove treatment on that trip. They tore the motorhome totally apart and hauled all of us in for separate interviews.

scooby0048

Once coming back into the USA from Canada after a fishing trip I stood up in the motorhome to get my wallet out of a cabinet as we approached the border station. One of the guards saw me and apparently assumed I was trying to hid something. Came REAL close to getting the rubber glove treatment on that trip. They tore the motorhome totally apart and hauled all of us in for separate interviews.
Yeah the CBP guys can be wound pretty tight. You fart too loud at a checkpoint and they will have cameras and dogs up your ass thinking something is stuffed up there. I worked with USBP and DEA on a joint op task force to clear and destroy drug tunnels in Nogales and some of those guys made you wonder how they passed the psych exam to get on.