Officer Kim Potter Charged With Second Degree Manslaughter In The Wright Shooting

newfie

She may not have intended murder, but as a police officer she's responsible for her actions which in this case resulted in the suspect's death. For sure she's looking at manslaughter. If you're going to wear the uniform you've got to be willing to accept responsibility for your actions.
so the solution is either dont do your job. or in an intense very stressful situtation stop and carefully think about whether you have done everything correctly while the perp blows you away.

The sad thing is whether good or bad people in high stress situations make mistakes.

It happens in combat it happens in police work. charges of manslaughter is not a just charge but a political one.

vantexan

so the solution is either dont do your job. or in an intense very stressful situtation stop and carefully think about whether you have done everything correctly while the perp blows you away.

The sad thing is whether good or bad people in high stress situations make mistakes.

It happens in combat it happens in police work. charges of manslaughter is not a just charge but a political one.
Somebody has to be held accountable. She'll probably get off lightly because the suspect's actions led to his death. But when someone dies because of a mistake we don't get to just shrug and say "sh**" happens.

newfie

Somebody has to be held accountable. She'll probably get off lightly because the suspect's actions led to his death. But when someone dies because of a mistake we don't get to just shrug and say "sh**" happens.
why does someone have to be held accountable. We put people in stressful potential life and death situations and ask them to do so to keep us safe. Abolish the police force. Put that responsibility on the average citizenry and I guarantee accidental shootings would increase astronomically. this police officer served for 26 years and probably saved a ton of lives in that time period before having this brain fart.
her charges and conviction will be a political solution.

It will be fine

why does someone have to be held accountable. We put people in stressful potential life and death situations and ask them to do so to keep us safe. Abolish the police force. Put that responsibility on the average citizenry and I guarantee accidental shootings would increase astronomically. this police officer served for 26 years and probably saved a ton of lives in that time period before having this brain fart.
Don’t you gun nuts want everyone carrying guns to use in stressful situations?

MAKAVELI

Do cops have some special " above the law " clause in their employment contract?

vantexan

They're held to a higher standard because the nature of their work demands it for public safety. If not held accountable then a lot more of this will happen. It's not that she's evil, racist, or anything, but she made a terrible mistake that you can't just shrug over.

Poop Head

Judge me.
. I find it humorous he was shot dead by a woman cop, she did the right thing accidentally or not and should not be charged.
I said it before, and ill say it again. I think she did it on purpose. After a year of people being shown they do not have to comply with the police, cell phone cameras and crowds antagonizing routine arrests, i think the lady made up her mind at some point that these punks need to learn a lesson.

Also, ive watched a decent amount of police body cam videos, ive never heard someone yell "taser taser taser".

newfie

They're held to a higher standard because the nature of their work demands it for public safety. If not held accountable then a lot more of this will happen. It's not that she's evil, racist, or anything, but she made a terrible mistake that you can't just shrug over.
mistakes happen. the answer cant be that the officer either has a choice of hesitating and getting blown away or make the best decision they're capable of and going to jail.

vantexan

mistakes happen. the answer cant be that the officer either has a choice of hesitating and getting blown away or make the best decision they're capable of and going to jail.
Having a taser positioned so you don't mistakenly draw your gun should be police work 101. And he wasn't armed.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Accidents happen.
Doesn't necessarily mean it's criminal.
This sort of thing is probably better suited for civil litigation.