Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

wilberforce15

Years ago I was at a Toyota dealer getting my car worked on.
I strolled through the lot and saw many new Prius'.
The sticker said "fair market value".

I asked the salesman what that meant. He, essentially, couldn't tell me.
I would rather take a beating with a baseball bat than deal with a car salesman.
Agreed. That's another reason love tesla. Buy it on an app in a few minutes and never talk to anyone.

wilberforce15

You're still pimping Tesla?

Only a fool would make a major investment "sight unseen".

I've got some ocean front property to sell you.

Sight seen helping.
He said new cars.
They're all the same. It's a Tesla. You choose like three features.
Looking at the particular one you're getting is silly.

Grandpa helping.

wilberforce15

85 miles on a full charge. Ford should be ashamed of themselves for even producing such a POS.
Towing has always been the achilles heel of EVs. It can take away 1/2 to 3/4 of the range in a heartbeat.

They're trying to tow with a 50k price EV, and that's simply not going to happen. It's not a POS at all. It just has a role, and plays that role well. It does badly when you make it do something else.

rod

Retired 23 years
Towing has always been the achilles heel of EVs. It can take away 1/2 to 3/4 of the range in a heartbeat.

They're trying to tow with a 50k price EV, and that's simply not going to happen. It's not a POS at all. It just has a role, and plays that role well. It does badly when you make it do something else.
What would its "role" be if not to be able to haul and tow things? Is its role to drive around empty all the time and look pretty because if you put a load on it or behind it it will fall on its face?

wilberforce15

What would its "role" be if not to be able to haul and tow things? Is its role to drive around empty all the time and look pretty because if you put a load on it or behind it it will fall on its face?
The vast majority of truck owners and users do not push past the capabilities of that machine.
It's pathetic, but it's true. Most trucks are vanity.
And non-cybertrucks had to skimp on capacity and towing in order to meet price points. Most users are unaffected.

wilberforce15

If you want towing, go buy an EV semi that hauls max load up a 5% grade at 75mph for as long as you want, and has a range of 500 miles, which is double the average needed for most short trucking operations.
That exists.
But they pick on this stupid little truck.

wilberforce15

That describes like 90% of truck owners.
My pencil-neck computer programmer neighbor is in the Army National Guard, drives a big Dodge Ram, and hasn't successfully figured out how to use a shovel or trim a tree.

But he's quite capable of paying through the nose for a lawn overhaul that he killed by failing to water it.

So.....that's the average truck owner.

vantexan

If you want towing, go buy an EV semi that hauls max load up a 5% grade at 75mph for as long as you want, and has a range of 500 miles, which is double the average needed for most short trucking operations.
That exists.
But they pick on this stupid little truck.
Who is going to buy a semi to tow their travel trailer? Maybe most truck owners don't need the capacity, but millions of RVers do. Ranchers towing horse trailers or cattle to market. The list is endless.

oldngray

nowhere special
Even if you only need to tow something once in a while why should you need to buy another truck just for that? If you ever need to tow then you never need to buy something that is useless for it.