Photo of the day

moreluck

golden ticket member
Pool01.jpg

We took the granddaughter to the pool and this did not look like a holiday !! Had the whole pool to ourselves.

oldngray

nowhere special
weatherphenomena-wcth16-640x511.jpg

Sun Dogs
Image credit: Robert Rosing, National Geographic | Sun dogs are an atmospheric phenomenon that occur when ice crystals cause light to appear brighter when the sun is at a certain angle

oldngray

nowhere special
lDxcnHc.jpg

Ice Road
“The depression made by a loaded truck starts the wave moving under the ice. As long as the truck doesn’t catch up to the wave it created, the stress on the ice should be acceptable.”

rod

Retired 23 years
I wonder if the pay those guys earn is commensurate to the risks they take driving on that ice.....

Its remarkable how strong and boyant good ice is. I once saw a one ton 4X4 dually Ford truck pull a heavy duty car trailer with a 10' X 16' wood framed fish house on it over a mile out onto a lake on 8 inches of good ice. (no I wouldn't recommend it). Having iced fished (and driven on lake ice) for over 40 years you get to know when the ice is good. Those that run into trouble are people who just assume the ice is thick enough or are unfamiliar with a certain lake and drive too close to where a creek or river flow into or out of a lake. Also a good rule of thumb is to NEVER be the first one to drive on the ice. I always wait at least a week after people start driving on it. Those ice roads in Canada and Alaska are usually frozen to a depth of 4 to 6 feet which is plenty of ice to drive a big rig on. Those TV shows always make it look more dangerous than it is. I also agree that an ice road trucker should be better paid that others.