Photo of the day

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I love visiting this place, but no matter who I try a photograph, it never gives justice to how blue the water is. Those of you who have seen it in person will know what I mean.

texan

Misao Okawa, who is recognized as the world's oldest women, celebrates her 115th birthday
in Osaka, Japan.
_66204652_66204651_zpsa06508a8.jpg

texan

The San Francisco Bay Bridge is lit up with the world's largest LED light sculpture.
It stretches 1.8 miles (2.89km) and is 500 feet (152,4m) high.
The Bay Lights exhibit has 25,000 white LED lights that are individually programmed by artist
Leo Villareal to create a never-repeating display across the Bay Bridge's west span.
san-francisco-ligh_2502899k_zps9aafdbd0.jpg

texan

Solheimajokull Glacier in Iceland is photographed by Marketa Kalvachova, who has been dubbed the real-life
Ice Queen after dedicating her life to taking spectacular pictures of glaciers and icebergs.
iceberg-hole_2500080k_zps2583553c.jpg

texan

Thousands of cranes pass through the Israeli skies twice a year and use Hula Lake as a
stopover while travelling between Europe and AfricaPicture: CATERS
Israel_Crane-Migra_2504095k_zpsd8af2c48.jpg

texan

Services are held in Japan marking the earthquake and tsunami, two years after the disaster that left more
than 18,000 dead and sparked a nuclear crisis.
_66315076_66315075_zps58b8a44d.jpg

texan

Jaguar, Ecuador.
A jaguar on the hunt trips a camera trap at a spot frequented by piglike peccaries, a favorite prey.
jaguar-yasuni-winter_64638_990x742_zps4ade87aa.jpg

texan

Argentina's Jorge Bergoglio (L), elected Pope Francis I, appearing at the window of St Peter's Basilica's balcony
after being elected the 266th pope of the Roman Catholic Church on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at the Vatican.
pb-130313-popeEle-237p_photoblog900_zps1535d374.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
This photo gives the perspective I noticed on TV too.......I always thought the crowds were directly below the balcony, but they are a ways off.

texan

Lenticular clouds pass in sweeping layers over the port village of Fionnphort on the Isle of Mull
in the Inner Hebrides.

The high-altitude lens-shaped formations often have a smooth, saucer-like shape and have sometimes
been mistaken for UFOs.
lenticular-cloud_2509202k_zps659dc9b0.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
The pink blossoms on the flowering plum trees are gone and the trees are full of their dark red leaves!! Nice contrast to the green yearlong leaves of other trees around them..

gingerkat

Pretty pic more. It sort of reminds me of the the Japanese cherry blossom tree, but that is superior in my opinion. I tried to find a breathtaking photo of the cherry blossom, but nothing came through. Texan is the KING of awesome photos, so it's hard to match that.