Please dont yell at me tomorrow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My center manager as well but I have never seen him in browns on a car. There have only been a couple dogs I haven't been able to win over. Most will alert their owners that their UPS buddy is here and it's treat time.

Our center manager drove for 12 years and based his policy in part on an incident involving one of his former co-workers.

Overpaid Union Thug

The reason for the policy is dogs become accustomed to getting the treats and run toward the package cars, which increases of possibility of being hit.
I carry treats on my truck but only give them to the dogs that act aggressive or are overly playful. Giving them to every nice dog that approaches, or we approach, is a terrible idea. I can tell which drivers are that liberal with their treats because EVERY dog on their route comes running up to the truck and expects something.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Our center manager drove for 12 years and based his policy in part on an incident involving one of his former co-workers.
I have driven for 27 years, and I base MY policy on the fact that in that entire time I have never once been bitten or run over a dog. Its pretty tough to argue with a 100% success rate.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Dogs can become aggressive if the regular driver always gives treats and the cover driver doesn't. I don't give them out and have had problems with a few cases.

soberups

Dogs can become aggressive if the regular driver always gives treats and the cover driver doesn't. I don't give them out and have had problems with a few cases.
I keep my truck stocked up with several full boxes of dog treats at all times and when I go on vacation I make sure there are more than enough to last until after I get back. Plus, my route is sought after and the relief drivers will exercise their seniority in order to get to run it, so they do so knowing full well what to expect from the dogs. They also know that the dogs are friendly and wont bite....because I have trained them to be that way and I make sure that any exceptions are clearly noted in the DIAD.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Google "redundancy".

As for this thread, I have made my point and will move on.

Our center manager discourages this.

The reason for the policy is dogs become accustomed to getting the treats and run toward the package cars, which increases of possibility of being hit.

3 hits and 1 kill to date.

2 nips by ankle biters.

Keep posting in a thread after making a point and moving on?

Contradictory.;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

3 hits and one kill? Sounds like you are as good at driving as you are at crossing the street.

2 nips by ankle biters? I guess the dogs just dont like you very much. I'm glad I dont have that problem.

One of the 3 hits was a German Shephard who broke his chain to chase after the pkg car. I missed him with the front wheels but not with the rear. The worst part was dragging the carcass to the side of the road and leaving the note on the door.

The 2 ankle biters both rushed out of their houses when their (stupid) owners decided to open the door after I asked each of them not to.

Dogs may be fun on a country run but they are a pain in the butt on a city run.

Unlike you, I don't have time to play Animal Whisperer. I have work to do.

soberups

Lets say you roll up to a house and there is an 80 lb pitbull loose on the property. Which option would you prefer?

Option A: the pitbull just stands there about 15 yards from the truck and stares at you impassively without moving or displaying any emotion at all.

Option B: The pitbull is waiting by the door or even jumping up in the cab when you shut the engine off, with its tail wagging and butt wiggling, giving kisses and trying to mooch a biscuit.

Even if you dont much care for dogs, Option B is by far the better choice from a safety standpoint.

wayfair

swollen member
option A (doesn't matter what type of dog) NI1, "dog" in remarks

option B (these are my favorites) biscuit or not, they get some attention.

Rot pup on my route, whenever I'm on that street, I stop and give it some attention. I tell the owner that I gotta train em early!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Lets say you roll up to a house and there is an 80 lb pitbull loose on the property. Which option would you prefer?

Option A: the pitbull just stands there about 15 yards from the truck and stares at you impassively without moving or displaying any emotion at all.

Option B: The pitbull is waiting by the door or even jumping up in the cab when you shut the engine off, with its tail wagging and butt wiggling, giving kisses and trying to mooch a biscuit.

Even if you dont much care for dogs, Option B is by far the better choice from a safety standpoint.
Honestly give me A.

Stay away from the truck and I'll bag it and drop it no problem.

If you have a rot, pit bull, Doberman, or German Shepard. I'm not getting out of the truck. Period. You can add a few other breeds more often than not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Option C: Get as close to the house as possible and get the package as close to the front door as possible.

Option D: Bag and DR the package by the mailbox out by the road.

Option E: Put the package and stop on will call.

When I had my country runs and had a stop with a difficult dog I would pull in to their driveway, back as close as I could to the delivery point, "place" the package and leave. I was really good at distracting the dog while making the delivery. I would only bag and leave by the mailbox as a last resort and I never put a stop on will call.

Spending 10 minutes at a residential stop was never an option.