PVD’s...are we done?

542thruNthru

There is no permanent position known as a driver helper. Driver helper is a seasonal position, and counts as extra work for inside part timers. Seasonal employees fill those positions first, then any extra positions are offered to inside employees on a seniority basis.

If you don't like the way it is set up you need to discuss it with your BA for the next contract. There's no point getting angry at people taking jobs offered to them as allowed by the contract.

Here in the Southwest Rider it's inside employees work are seasonal helpers first(by seniority) and then outside seasonal hires.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Heard a rumor that a few pvds may be kept permanently and join the union? They would be used to accommodate drivers requesting relief of overtime. Is this just a lie or?
CA4B9B3E-4EBD-495F-B73E-A2CFE8FBC778.gif

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Here in the Southwest Rider it's inside employees work are seasonal helpers first(by seniority) and then outside seasonal hires.

But can seasonal drivers work even if they aren't using helpers from the inside? @BadIdeaGuy's issue was that the pvd's were taking his helper work, and that was the situation I was speaking to. I figured it would extend to the helper situation, as it does in my area, and it's nice that it doesn't, but it was beside the point.

Skull_Leader

We stopped using the Storage units 12/24, but I've been out helping other drivers with their routes every day since then until yesterday, when they didn't need me, so I guess I'm probably done...
Now to see if the Supe pulls through and they take me on permanently...

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
If you were paying union dues, get a refund if UPS doesn't place you permanently

Sad that some locations would do that to seasonal workers

Good luck, but each location is different so don't hold your breath

PT Car Washer

We stopped using the Storage units 12/24, but I've been out helping other drivers with their routes every day since then until yesterday, when they didn't need me, so I guess I'm probably done...
Now to see if the Supe pulls through and they take me on permanently...
You want to be a permanent PVD driver?

542thruNthru

But can seasonal drivers work even if they aren't using helpers from the inside? @BadIdeaGuy's issue was that the pvd's were taking his helper work, and that was the situation I was speaking to. I figured it would extend to the helper situation, as it does in my area, and it's nice that it doesn't, but it was beside the point.

Air drivers, cover drivers and disqualified drivers can work as seasonal drivers during peak. They have the same rule as helpers. They work before any seasonal driver and by seniority.

Though PVDs have been used before them because "The company doesn't have enough cars" that's been their excuse here.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Air drivers, cover drivers and disqualified drivers can work as seasonal drivers during peak. They have the same rule as helpers. They work before any seasonal driver and by seniority.

Though PVDs have been used before them because "The company doesn't have enough cars" that's been their excuse here.

Does that include exception air drivers? If so that would have been nice language to have. But the question is, still, whether or not they can use seasonal drivers before using inside employees as helpers.

Skull_Leader

Honestly, If I could be a PVD driver permanently, I'd be down for it. I could make some modifications to my van to organize things better and raise my numbers. I'm more comfortable in my van than I would be in a giant, old truck with few comfort features....

542thruNthru

Does that include exception air drivers? If so that would have been nice language to have. But the question is, still, whether or not they can use seasonal drivers before using inside employees as helpers.

Exception air drivers can be seasonal drivers yes but most say no because they know they'll be worked anyways and be able to make top scale.

I didn't realize that was the question. Yes they can use seasonal drivers here before using helpers.

clean hairy

Honestly, If I could be a PVD driver permanently, I'd be down for it. I could make some modifications to my van to organize things better and raise my numbers. I'm more comfortable in my van than I would be in a giant, old truck with few comfort features....
How much did your insurance increase to have it properly insured for commercial use?

Saca La

What is it?

You’d be paying much more on maintenance and gas than making any real profit

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Exception air drivers can be seasonal drivers yes but most say no because they know they'll be worked anyways and be able to make top scale.

I didn't realize that was the question. Yes they can use seasonal drivers here before using helpers.

It was the essence of what I was getting at anyway, even if everything I said wasn't factually accurate to the situation.

PT Car Washer

More in gas than .60 a mile?
60 cents a mile does not buy a lot of new tires, brakes, shocks, transmissions and a whole lot of other maintenance items. UPS years ago bought Ford vans and Chrysler mini vans. After a couple years they were junk. We have several Dodge Pro Vans, used as air cars and they are always having problems.