Random Facts

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
STUG feels like the proverbial fly on the wall, in a college lecture hall, when he reads the posts from, Who reads? Name some of the best and latest books you have read.

P

pickup

In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

(This is more like a rumor. I've watched a LOT of Seinfeld, and never noticed this. Anyone else?)

I wasn't aware of this until I bought a collection of "bizarro" stories in a graphic novel and the foreword was written by Larry Davis, co-creator of Seinfeld and the statue of superman on Jerry's bookcase was mentioned. I've seen that in a lot of episodes in the background. Also, Jerry had a superman magnet on the refrigerator (mentioned in foreword) so I looked and when the camera gets close enough to fridge I can see it. We also had a two part episode where Elaine makes friends with the "bizarro" counterparts of George, Jerry, Kramer, and Neuman. The counterparts of these guys is that Bizarro jerry actually cares about people, bizarro kramer has a responsible job, bizarro george isn't neurotic, and bizarro neuman is a fed ex employee. and bizarro neuman and bizarro jerry are best of friends. I believe in the apartment of bizarro jerry is a statue of a bizarro superman on the book shelf.

Then we have the episode where jerry is dating a girl named Lois , where he is going to rerun a race with a high school classmate he beat years before. He was acting like superman in that episode. "Don't worry Lois..." he said heroically.

anyway, apparently the statue and the magnet didn't appear until a few seasons in . Anyway here is a link that explains every superman connection to the Seinfeld show. Everything you wanted to know about superman and more

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/tv/tv.php?topic=articles/seinfeld

moreluck

golden ticket member
It takes your food seven seconds to get from your mouth to your stomach.

One human hair can support 3 kg (6.6 lb).

The average man's penis is three times the length of his thumb.

Human thighbones are stronger than concrete.

A woman's heart beats faster than a man's.

There are about one trillion bacteria on each of your feet.

Women blink twice as often as men.

The average person's skin weighs twice as much as the brain.

Your body uses 300 muscles to balance itself when you are standing still.

If saliva cannot dissolve something, you cannot taste it.

Women reading this will be finished now.

Men are still busy checking their thumbs

DS

Fenderbender
Party tricks!
The Leidenfrost effect is a cool phenomenon that will allow you to comfortably dip your hand into molten lead (400+ degrees Celsius - 700+ degrees Fahrenheit).

This stunt involves no trickery. All you need to do is wet your hand first. As soon as the performer's flesh touches the hot liquid metal, the water on his/her hand is vapourized, coating the fingers with a vapour layer. If the dip was only brief (a few seconds), then the flesh can not be heated significantly because the vapour layer is not very conductive of heat.
This is called film boiling. It can also be used to pour liquid nitrogen into one's mouth without being hurt by its extreme cold. From the heat of your mouth, the liquid immediately undergoes film boiling on its bottom surface and does not directly touch the tounge. This stunt is especially cool because if you breathe out of your mouth, the moisture in your breath condenses and you create a terrific, 5-foot-long plume - like on a very cold morning.
This Leidenfrost effect may also play a role in firewalking. It's just physics, folks. Editor's note. Do not swallow liquid nitrogen. Do not try any of these tricks at home.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Party tricks!
The Leidenfrost effect is a cool phenomenon that will allow you to comfortably dip your hand into molten lead (400+ degrees Celsius - 700+ degrees Fahrenheit).

This stunt involves no trickery. All you need to do is wet your hand first. As soon as the performer's flesh touches the hot liquid metal, the water on his/her hand is vapourized, coating the fingers with a vapour layer. If the dip was only brief (a few seconds), then the flesh can not be heated significantly because the vapour layer is not very conductive of heat.
This is called film boiling. It can also be used to pour liquid nitrogen into one's mouth without being hurt by its extreme cold. From the heat of your mouth, the liquid immediately undergoes film boiling on its bottom surface and does not directly touch the tounge. This stunt is especially cool because if you breathe out of your mouth, the moisture in your breath condenses and you create a terrific, 5-foot-long plume - like on a very cold morning.
This Leidenfrost effect may also play a role in firewalking. It's just physics, folks. Editor's note. Do not swallow liquid nitrogen. Do not try any of these tricks at home.
Prove it, DS.:wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
When I fist saw this thread I thought we would each give facts that we know as opposed to stuff we got off of the internet. I was thinking that you guys were really smart. As a side note.......37% of the people that read this will think I'm calling them stupid.

DS

Fenderbender
When I fist saw this thread I thought we would each give facts that we know as opposed to stuff we got off of the internet. I was thinking that you guys were really smart. As a side note.......37% of the people that read this will think I'm calling them stupid.

When you first saw this thread,the percentages of people that would think whatever they thought as opposed to what you may have thought to think,could be preportionately higher depending on what they thought.

irregardless:) of whether we learned something whilst climbing on top of subway trains or reading it on the internet,do we not still know it?

As a side note...are smart people smarter if they learn something from experience as opposed to reading it online?

random fact...drinking liquid nitrogen can freeze your mouth but it looks really cool...

moreluck

golden ticket member
In Oklahoma, dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate on private property in groups of three or more.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
In Oklahoma, dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate on private property in groups of three or more.
37% of those dogs will have to poop as soon as their feet hit grass, while the other 37% will be so caught up sniffing butts, that they'll look like circled Conastoga wagons.:happy2: