Random Facts

DS

Fenderbender
how do you corn beef?
We start around the year 700 AD, give or take a century, when salt production saw a great technological advance. Salt in those days was obtained by trapping seawater in a pond, closing it off, and waiting for the sun to evaporate the water. The great advance was building a series of ponds, with pumps and sluices. The water in the first pond evaporated a little, increasing its salinity, then was moved to the next pond, while a new batch of seawater was let into the first pond. Call it an assembly line, way before Henry Ford. When the brine became dense enough, the salt crystallized and fell to the bottom of the pond to be scooped out. The process probably took a year or more using only solar heat. Of course, this would be done most efficiently in an arid climate with no rainfall to dilute the ponds. The process produced coarse salt, nowadays also called "kosher salt," not the fine-grained table salt you're used to.
Today, one distinguishes between Irish corned beef and English spiced beef. Either one is a far cry from the "salt junk" of two hundred years ago, partly because of modern refrigeration, which permits use of a much weaker brine. Less salt means a more palatable end product.
First, you need brine - water, coarse salt, and seasonings. An Irish recipe by Theodora Fitsgibbon, quoted by Mark Kurlansky in his wonderful book Salt: A World History (2002), calls for adding bay leaves, cloves, mace, peppercorns, garlic, allspice, brown sugar, and saltpeter to the brine. The meat is usually a brisket - ribs and meat from the chest of the cow - which you soak in the brine for a week. (Other recipes use other cuts of meat and different periods of soaking. One recipe we saw called for four days, another for four weeks. We presume it has to do partly with the amount of meat.)

After the soaking period, wash the meat thoroughly under running water to remove the surface brine. Then cover it with fresh water, add carrots, onions, and herbs, and simmer for five hours. During the last hour, add a half pint of Guinness, says Fitsgibbon. (To the meat, silly.) Serve hot or cold.
The full article
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2153/how-do-you-corn-beef

moreluck

golden ticket member
Noah Webster was the first epidemiologist in the United States... ..That actually lead to his developing the dictionary... he needed to look up what the heck an epidemiologist was.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

upsgrunt

What's our national deficit now, trillions?
Did you know if you started the day Christ was born, and spent 1 million EVERY DAY up till today, you still wouldn't have spent a trillion.

moreluck

golden ticket member
When to drink water...

Drinking water at certain time maximizes it's effectiveness on the body:

2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs

1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion

1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure

1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack

moreluck

golden ticket member
Crayola is a French word that means 'Oily chalk.'"

Gardening is said to be one of the best exercises for maintaining healthy bones.

George Washington grew marijuana in his garden.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]s[/FONT]

moreluck

golden ticket member
A good piece of chocolate has about 200 calories. As I enjoy 2 servings per night, and a few more on weekends, I consume about 3,500 calories of chocolate in a week, which equals one pound of weight per week.

Therefore, in the last 3-1/2 years, I have had chocolate caloric intake of about 180 pounds, and I only weigh 165 pounds.

So ... without chocolate, I would have wasted away to nothing about 3 months ago! I owe my life to chocolate!

klein

Für Meno :)
Who works the most ?
Mexico is on top spot, Canada 4th, USA 9th.

Interesting is also this fact :

Cooking is the unpaid work that takes up the highest percentage of most people's time.
Turks spend the most time cooking at 74 minutes, while Americans spend the least time at 30 minutes. Americans also spend the third-lowest amount of time eating, but strangely enough have the highest obesity rate in the OECD.

klein

The world's friendliest countries

They say you can never go home again-and you may not want to after relocating to Canada, Bermuda or South Africa.
These are the countries where it's easiest to befriend locals, learn the language, fit into the new culture and integrate into the community, according to respondents to HSBC Bank International's Expat Explorer survey, the results of which were released late last month.

Canada was most welcoming for the second year in a row; more than half of survey-takers there said they'd made friends with locals. In Bermuda 57 per cent have had the pleasure, and the same for South Africa.

To determine the world's friendliest countries, Forbes looked at the results of HSBC Bank International's Expat Explorer survey in four categories: ability to befriend locals, success in learning the local language, capacity for integrating themselves into the community, and ease in which they fit into the new culture.
In Pictures: The World's Friendliest Countries

moreluck

golden ticket member
3x today on the news (playing in the background) I've heard the word "fracking". It sounds like a dirty word.......especially when combined with fluid..."fracking fluid"!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Teflon is the slipperiest substance in the world.

The revenue that is generated from gambling is more than the revenue that comes from movies, cruise ships, recorded music, theme parks, and spectator sports combined.

20252 is Smokey the Bear's own zip code

klein

Denmark finishes first in happiest country ranking

A survey says Denmark is the happiest country in the world. (Source: CNN)

Posted: Apr 21, 2011 7:59 AM MDT Updated: Apr 21, 2011 12:17 PM MDT

(CNN) - Want to find the happiest places on Earth? Skip sunny Disneyland, and think cold climates.
A Gallup survey ranks Denmark as the happiest country in the world, followed by Sweden at No. 2.
Canada makes its way in at third.
Australia is the top-ranked warm climate country, at No. 4, but its back to frozen Finland in fifth.
The Gallup said the U.S. didn't even crack the top-10, finishing 12th, behind countries like Venezuela and Israel.
The survey asked residents of various nations to rate their current lives on a 1-10 scale, and how they expect their lives to be in five years.
Copyright 2011 CNN. All rights reserved.

Oddly enough, just yesterday, I posted Denmark as the highest taxed citizens in the western world.
But, all that social freedom that comes along with it, must pay off !