Richard Hooker pulls no punches on CNN

Coldworld

The outside world has never and will never understand. To them all you do is drive around all day and deliver a few boxes. Get used to it.
It’s hard enough to explain things to my wife sometimes and she’s pretty much been with me most of my career here…I know she says she “gets it” but she doesn’t truly understand like you all and I do.

Commercial Inside Release

Don't underestimate the number of people that have worked at UPS, got chewed up and spit out. There is a whole army out there, due to high turn over, that are permanently ticked off.

Some small centers literally burn through the entire town's populace; hiring and mistreating them, and causing them to quit or be fired. You only have to tick off one in 4 or 5 townfolk, before you get a negative reputation.

A great indicator is the ratings of facilities online... Like on Google Maps. Nearly every center in the US rates 1-2 stars. People post shrieking hatred of UPS on there daily.

You're taking your chances if you patronize a business that rates less than 3.9 stars.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
The outside world has never and will never understand. To them all you do is drive around all day and deliver a few boxes. Get used to it.
Had this exact conversation the other day.
"How many boxes you even have in there"
"Well, today I had 440 something"
"Well how many houses is that"
"It'll ended up being 400 times in and out of the truck today"
"Wow, really?"

Thebrownblob

Had this exact conversation the other day.
"How many boxes you even have in there"
"Well, today I had 440 something"
"Well how many houses is that"
"It'll ended up being 400 times in and out of the truck today"
"Wow, really?"
And then I’m going to punch out, go home and start it all over again tomorrow. The job is an incredible grind.

RoswellHub

I am going to have to disagree with you guys. After reading the publics comments on this whole situation, people are already backing the workers. I think that's why UPS caved in so fast on AC. The public is not so much mad at UPS but cooperate America as a whole. People feel like they are squeezing every last penny out of them and they want retribution. That is just my two cents though.

qdg2

This!^^^^^^^^

But.....as Amazon enters the picture more and more.

The difference being they get paid half of what you do......and fired willy nilly.

The FDX guy pissed off.......
How many customers have said to you, “So I heard UPS is a really good company to work for”?

Yeah the pay and benefits are great, just about everything else sucks.
In the end......this^^^^^^^^^should be written in stone. Full stop. Bravo.

Last edited:

qdg2

I am going to have to disagree with you guys. After reading the publics comments on this whole situation, people are already backing the workers. I think that's why UPS caved in so fast on AC. The public is not so much mad at UPS but cooperate America as a whole. People feel like they are squeezing every last penny out of them and they want retribution. That is just my two cents though.
Public mad at UPS? Who cares about UPS? Most......could care less. As long as they get their rubber dog poop....all good.

Most folks are shocked at your pay. Fact. If anything, it's held against you(jealousy).

Public comments? .01% commenting? That's like taking the handful of folks on BC as some sort of official outlet or even RoswellHub. Keeping in mind very few people will have anything to do with a strike or even negotiations.

And corporate America? I'm going to have to disagree....a lot of folks work for "corporate America" and want their companies to do well and stay profitable......their careers depend on it. MOF I think a lot of UPS'sers are concerned about "Better not bigger".....

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

The Company should just get it over with before stuff happens, maybe it is a traditional mindset to wait for the last possible moment to get the best deal or to save face.

We know what is going on with our work place. The way they have been treating their own has already taken its toll, their own junior partners are praying for a strike hoping for heads to roll at the top corporate levels. The fact that they just eliminated their future pension Credits and the way they are promoting people that really do not have a clue has created discord among their ranks.

Anybody with half a brain knows we will not go on strike even with one is deserved. The Feds are or will be involved if one happens then it will be everything on the table. Can you imagine just how much dirt the Union had in the Company… decades of doing “the business of doing business” can not be covered up now a days.

If they give us a excellent Contract this time and start losing money at the end of it then they would have a leg to stand on and start with their concessions.

Face it .. Hoffa and his Posse were the Company’s dream team once Carey was ousted.
We had 26 years of erosion under his leadership..the Company eventually got everything they wanted.

qdg2

Don't underestimate the number of people that have worked at UPS, got chewed up and spit out. There is a whole army out there, due to high turn over, that are permanently ticked off.

Some small centers literally burn through the entire town's populace; hiring and mistreating them, and causing them to quit or be fired. You only have to tick off one in 4 or 5 townfolk, before you get a negative reputation.

A great indicator is the ratings of facilities online... Like on Google Maps. Nearly every center in the US rates 1-2 stars. People post shrieking hatred of UPS on there daily.

You're taking your chances if you patronize a business that rates less than 3.9 stars.
Interesting.

I use Yahoo as my liberal go to....kinda to see where the enemy(liberals/Democrats) is headed.

Yahoo disabled their comment section when "Let's go Branden" got going. When ant-liberal sentiments became normal there....they canceled the negative comments. I could care less with comments/ratings.

YouTube has many reviews from cruises to whatever in the world there is. From super helpful to super idiotic.

So, when a idiot ships granny's jelly with a loose lid and it ruins the family bible.......shrieking hatred.

You can't please everyone all the time.

That said....We are getting a fence built in the front of our property just to keep the Amazon guy out of our driveway. They pull down our long driveway and do 12 point turns, often in the grass to avoid long backing. I've called corporate Amazon several times.....you think UPS customer service sucks. I hate Amazon that much.

RoswellHub

Public mad at UPS? Who cares about UPS? Most......could care less. As long as they get their rubber dog poop....all good.

Most folks are shocked at your pay. Fact. If anything, it's held against you(jealousy).

Public comments? .01% commenting? That's like taking the handful of folks on BC as some sort of official outlet or even RoswellHub. Keeping in mind very few people will have anything to do with a strike or even negotiations.

And corporate America? I'm going to have to disagree....a lot of folks work for "corporate America" and want their companies to do well and stay profitable......their careers depend on it. MOF I think a lot of UPS'sers are concerned about "Better not bigger".....
I can agree with that comment to an extent. UPS really depends on a good public image. It needs it for the shareholders. That CNN interviewer was throwing softball questions for the most part. They are feeling the pressure as well from the public.

qdg2

The Company should just get it over with before stuff happens, maybe it is a traditional mindset to wait for the last possible moment to get the best deal or to save face.

We know what is going on with our work place. The way they have been treating their own has already taken its toll, their own junior partners are praying for a strike hoping for heads to roll at the top corporate levels. The fact that they just eliminated their future pension Credits and the way they are promoting people that really do not have a clue has created discord among their ranks.

Anybody with half a brain knows we will not go on strike even with one is deserved. The Feds are or will be involved if one happens then it will be everything on the table. Can you imagine just how much dirt the Union had in the Company… decades of doing “the business of doing business” can not be covered up now a days.

If they give us a excellent Contract this time and start losing money at the end of it then they would have a leg to stand on and start with their concessions.

Face it .. Hoffa and his Posse were the Company’s dream team once Carey was ousted.
We had 26 years of erosion under his leadership..the Company eventually got everything they wanted.
If so(Fed intervention), how about '97?

There was a Democrat in office. As now. Democrats are pro labor...yes? Pro strike......

And Mgt? Just a few months ago, most of the old guys were still there.....guys "with a clue" as you say. Lower mgt was always supplied with the folks that would turn on you in a second. You know. Their pension going away.....could not have happened to a better bunch of folks......eh? Heads rolling? UPS makes good money....why wouldn't those folks stay in place?

And Carey? Those losses(business) are still being felt TODAY. Fact.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
If so(Fed intervention), how about '97?

There was a Democrat in office. As now. Democrats are pro labor...yes? Pro strike......

And Mgt? Just a few months ago, most of the old guys were still there.....guys "with a clue" as you say. Lower mgt was always supplied with the folks that would turn on you in a second. You know. Their pension going away.....could not have happened to a better bunch of folks......eh? Heads rolling? UPS makes good money....why wouldn't those folks stay in place?

And Carey? Those losses(business) are still being felt TODAY. Fact.

A lot of changes have occurred since the 1997 strike, if we went out today it would make that "97" one look like a girl scout meeting. The damage to the Company and the Union would be considerable if it happens again, we all know who is in the White House today, do not be fooled thinking he is in charge, the Presidency position is token at best. When was the last time we really had any leadership, maybe during the Reagan years even if you do not agree with his policies or politics. Democrats or Republicans are cut from the same cloth, only interested in being re-elected it does not matter which one is in charge...

The old guys in management are smart enough to see the "writing on the wall" and are wishing for a good out or buy out. Most of them are financially secure and are willing to jump ship.

UPS makes good money because of our Union Membership, some of the decision making from the top should be questioned. The added Volume, Surcharges and the annual price increases during the pandemic has created those profit margins, it was not due to anything coming out of Atlanta.

It is ridiculous to claim that we are suffering today suffering loss of volume from that 1997 strike, you know it and I know it...

Cowboy Mac