Seniority question

Brownt10

Where specifically in the new contract does it say that full timers have seniority over part timers as far as extra work goes?

Does a FT 22.3 have more seniority than a pt bid air driver when it comes to extra work?

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

25+ Year UPSer and Teamster
Where specifically in the new contract does it say that full timers have seniority over part timers as far as extra work goes?

Does a FT 22.3 have more seniority than a pt bid air driver when it comes to extra work?
Depends on the work involved.
What do you consider extra work?
In The Southern it’s defined this way.
IMG_7627.jpeg

But I've seen plenty of shenanigans concerning the “present and available” part.

542thruNthru

View attachment 484567
But I've seen plenty of shenanigans concerning the “present and available” part.
Not exactly what I was asking. I'm curious what he defines as extra work, not what the contract says about who gets it.

Lots of people think stuff is extra work when it's not. So just want to make sure what he wants to do is actually extra work.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

Not exactly what I was asking. I'm curious what he defines as extra work, not what the contract says about who gets it.

Lots of people think stuff is extra work when it's not. So just want to make sure what he wants to do is actually extra work.
That’s the problem. Should be based solely on contract language that is crystal clear and that covers all the bases. But it often isn’t and the language isn’t so rock solid everywhere. Status quo seems to rule over contract language. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Brownt10

View attachment 484567
Yes but in my building they use AI to cut runs. Basically if I’m not assigned an air run then I can’t touch any air that’s left in building or that comes in on a late plane. A couple weeks ago a bunch of perishables got left in building

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

FFF that BS. No one wants some off the street limp D loser with 6 months trumping a 5 year PTer.

Now I know why you East Coast losers need our money for your pension... you hate PTers. ;)

NJ excluded of course.
One thing I've learned browsing and chatting here and on Facebook (back when i still had it) is that the contracts and mindsets behind them are drastically different from region to region. But I personally hate how company seniority is taken for granted. Particularly in certain areas. I wish it mattered more in certain situations. Not all. But where it makes sense.

Thebrownblob

One thing I've learned browsing and chatting here and on Facebook (back when i still had it) is that the contracts and mindsets behind them are drastically different from region to region. But I personally hate how company seniority is taken for granted. Particularly in certain areas. I wish it mattered more in certain situations. Not all. But where it makes sense.
“UPS” and “making sense” rarely are used in the same sentence.

100%ORIONComplianceGuy

Who would be the final arbiter of "what made sense" when applying seniority ?

“UPS” and “making sense” rarely are used in the same sentence.
The members for starters. Meaning.....I'd prefer it be based on actual contract language that leaves no room for interpretation instead of the current language that allows for local interpretations that vary from local to local and region to region. That would mean we'd have to make sure the language is added (where ever needed) to our applicable supplements.

I always heard seniority is everything when I was first hired. But it really isn't. Except in certain situations. This is my opinion but if seniority truly matters then I feel that we should never lose it. Company seniority would typically rule. A feeder driver that bids back into package should dovetail in seniority. A 22.3 that bids back into package should dovetail as well.

And I don't think it's right that a part-timer with more company seniority can't do extra work before a full-timer that already has their guarantee. I'd probably goes as far as letting part-timers that bid later (had to let others jump them due to being in school, family/life situations, etc) into a full-time job dovetail in seniority based on company time. Yes, I know it would suck for someone to get "bumped" like that by a new full-timer, or full-timer that has switched classifications, but at least we could say seniority truly rules. And I've actually had that happen to me numerous times in the military. Rank and seniority work similarly that way. You typically carry rank based on date of rank from unit to unit and base to base.

But that's my opinions on the matter. Either way have seniority or we don't. And I think some areas already operate that way. Or similarly.