Sprained ankle in first 30 days

Stepped off a curb and sprained my ankle. I’m on day 24 and have made my scratch. I’m the only one who made it out of my classes and one of the only new drivers left. I plan on sucking it up and going back in on Monday but if I can’t make it will I be fired? This job has been a life changer for my family so I can’t afford to lose it.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Stepped off a curb and sprained my ankle. I’m on day 24 and have made my scratch. I’m the only one who made it out of my classes and one of the only new drivers left. I plan on sucking it up and going back in on Monday but if I can’t make it will I be fired? This job has been a life changer for my family so I can’t afford to lose it.
Ice and elevate the crap out of that ankle. If you can zuck it up and still half way function do it. Once you've made book report it after you get off one day as happening that day. Its wonky out here anymore with what uos is doing.

Ackerlin

Has management left you alone for the most part so far? Fact is, right now they already made up their mind if they want you or not. If they do, you could probably get a day off, if not well you gotta fight through it, make seniority, then inform them.

mikestuh

Hope your sprain wasn't to bad. Your gonna want to follow the RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) method and google some ankle sprain exercises you can do at home to try and rehab it. Also remember you are covered by workers comp from the first day that you start working for UPS but the longer you wait to report the accident the less likely you will be able to make a valid claim. Ive been with UPS 2 years now and I rolled my ankle back in march. My supervisors spent like 15 minutes trying to get me to go home and rest that day and even offered to pay me for the rest of the day to keep me from going to the clinic. I reported my accident and went to the clinic that same day so my claim was valid and there was no fight from the insurance. I tore some ligaments and damaged a couple of my tendons and I have done a crap load of physical therapy and acupuncture to try and fix it but I'm still experiencing pain today. My doctor is doing surgery on me next week and hopefully that will fix that and I can go back to work in a few months.

DriverNerd

If you want to keep the job do this:
Ice and elevate the crap out of that ankle. If you can zuck it up and still half way function do it.

Also tape it up well with a wrap that you can hide under your sock. If it was a really bad sprain and it swells so much that it prevents you from walking on it you are kinda screwed. In the past UPS would get rid of you immediately, now it depends on how desperate they are.

Has management left you alone for the most part so far? Fact is, right now they already made up their mind if they want you or not. If they do, you could probably get a day off, if not well you gotta fight through it, make seniority, then inform them.

Management seems to really like me. They’re very friendly and I haven’t gotten any of the usually harassment and threats that other new hires have. I had prior delivery experience with Fedex so they really like that I know what I’m doing compared to the other new hires. The rest are almost to the end of their 30 days too and still haven’t scratched. I just don’t want to risk it. My wife’s doing everything so I don’t have to get up so hopefully between the rest, elevation and ice I can at least make it through this week.

Hope your sprain wasn't to bad. Your gonna want to follow the RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) method and google some ankle sprain exercises you can do at home to try and rehab it. Also remember you are covered by workers comp from the first day that you start working for UPS but the longer you wait to report the accident the less likely you will be able to make a valid claim. Ive been with UPS 2 years now and I rolled my ankle back in march. My supervisors spent like 15 minutes trying to get me to go home and rest that day and even offered to pay me for the rest of the day to keep me from going to the clinic. I reported my accident and went to the clinic that same day so my claim was valid and there was no fight from the insurance. I tore some ligaments and damaged a couple of my tendons and I have done a crap load of physical therapy and acupuncture to try and fix it but I'm still experiencing pain today. My doctor is doing surgery on me next week and hopefully that will fix that and I can go back to work in a few months.

It’s pretty bad. But I’d rather have my job in the future thank workman’s comp. This job was a life changer for my family so I’m going to try to suck it up for the next week.

Attachments

• FAA44601-1D95-4300-9245-7794844414C3.jpeg
    FAA44601-1D95-4300-9245-7794844414C3.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 131

DriverNerd

It’s pretty bad. But I’d rather have my job in the future thank workman’s comp. This job was a life changer for my family so I’m going to try to suck it up for the next week.

That looks bad. I sprained my ankle like that a few years ago. I was out for a month. I never went on comp, just TAW until I was cleared to go back to work. I don't know if I would have been able to work for a the first week or two even if I needed to. I ended up with a bad sprain, but no torn ligaments/tendon so that was a plus. Hopefully you just have a bad sprain that will heal in a week or two. Until then, when not at work elevate and ice non stop. Have a steady supply of Advil with you to make it through the day and baby the hell out of it, stepping out of the truck on the other leg, stepping into the truck on the other leg, don't limp when walking around the hub, cart your irregs or heavy packages to take weight off the foot. FWIW, my ankle to this day is still able to roll much easier than the other one. It will never be as strong.

Est.1998

Wow that looks painful.
I'd put some ice on it, rest, and tomorrow wrap it up, take a few pain meds, and take your time. Hopefully your route isn't a handtruck route because you can get through the day if you avoid pushing/pulling heavy/bulky stuff

That looks bad. I sprained my ankle like that a few years ago. I was out for a month. I never went on comp, just TAW until I was cleared to go back to work. I don't know if I would have been able to work for a the first week or two even if I needed to. I ended up with a bad sprain, but no torn ligaments/tendon so that was a plus. Hopefully you just have a bad sprain that will heal in a week or two. Until then, when not at work elevate and ice non stop. Have a steady supply of Advil with you to make it through the day and baby the hell out of it, stepping out of the truck on the other leg, stepping into the truck on the other leg, don't limp when walking around the hub, cart your irregs or heavy packages to take weight off the foot. FWIW, my ankle to this day is still able to roll much easier than the other one. It will never be as strong.
Thanks for the advice. I’m going to give it my all and baby it when not working. Staying in the bed today.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Thanks for the advice. I’m going to give it my all and baby it when not working. Staying in the bed today.
Good luck, brother.
I messed up my ankle a couple years ago, and it never has been quite the same. Be safe, and as soon as you've made book, get that taken care of.

Trust me, you want it to heal right.

rickyb

the capitalist way is to fire all workers who cant be profited off of

mikestuh

I totally understand. This job has amazing pay and benefits. If you can make it past probation the other option would be to use your insurance as soon as you get it and see a doctor to have it treated. That picture of your ankle looks probably just as swollen as mine did after I sprained mine. Good luck