Supervisor's Salting

Union 💪🏽 Strong

When supervisors "Salt" shifters, is that considered "harassment" there's been a couple of times that package(s) are left in the trailer after the unloaders cleared it out! Harassment or not?

Commercial Inside Release

Since it is Monday, you might be able to put it on Security. Most of UPS shuts down on Sunday, and if they locked up, they had to do a complete facility security check. This includes checking all cars & trailers for parcels, making sure they are secured, too.

ManInBrown

Salting shifters? That’s a new one I’ve never heard of. At least one out of every 3 empties I pull off to take to the pallet dock to clean for a CPU has one or two packages left in it. There’s a pile of packages on the pallet dock every day.

2Down2Many2Go

Put a fake a package in a trailer that is supposed to be empty to see if you catch it.
Or send you a move with the correct bay number, but the trailer number maybe off by 1 number. Or send you a move to a loading bay with a trailer that has an expired FHWA just to to see if you're paying attention.

Or send you a move with the correct bay number, but the trailer number maybe off by 1 number. Or send you a move to a loading bay with a trailer that has an expired FHWA just to to see if you're paying attention.
Maybe it’s done totally different at my center but when I come in I have a quick meeting with management to discuss the expected volume then I’m given a forecast sheet that has a list of all the trailers for that day along with their percentages. It is then at my discretion the order in which trailers go on and at what times depending on the volume.

Commercial Inside Release

Here's the deal. Crackdown is coming, now that the COVID crutch has been kicked out from under UPS. Every department has a requirement to SALT planes, trains, & automobiles. Management actually keeps a log book on their SALT successes & failures, which includes you. They are starting to audit all depts now. Probably building a $4!+list for upcoming negotiations.

2Down2Many2Go

Maybe it’s done totally different at my center but when I come in I have a quick meeting with management to discuss the expected volume then I’m given a forecast sheet that has a list of all the trailers for that day along with their percentages. It is then at my discretion the order in which trailers go on and at what times depending on the volume.
Yeah it's definitely done differently probably everywhere, maybe it depends on how big your building/Feeder department is.

NYJetsfan87

When supervisors "Salt" shifters, is that considered "harassment" there's been a couple of times that package(s) are left in the trailer after the unloaders cleared it out! Harassment or not?
Im an article 22.3 full timer who works inside twilight and night. So I don’t know if my advice pertains to you .I haven’t been salted recently but I have been salted before. My less senior coworkers get salted all the time. It rarely leads to discipline and when it does the steward usually doesn’t accept it. Which means it’s meaningless. As far as harassment management will probably say then have the right to salt you and then use their infamous methods word. Tough case to prove. Just my two cents . not like I know much. But I share what I do know .

Trucker Clock

Put a fake a package in a trailer that is supposed to be empty to see if you catch it.

It is not the shifters responsibility to check the trailers for any packages where I am at. It is the responsibility of the Sup who calls for the pull. He/she needs to check it before it is pulled.

Also, management does a yard check of all empty trailers just before the sort goes down.

dudebro

I've seen where hourly employees hide air packages during the twilight sort and then the porter would wait until the sort was finished and the air trailers were gone, then bring packages they "found" in a package car on the metro to the DM, to try to get the supes or manager in hot water.