This Day in History

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
7/17

1997 U.S.A. Woolworth's​

1997 : friend.W. Woolworth's, the original five-and-dime store that started in 1879, announced today that its last 400 stores would close.

7/16

1999 U.S.A. John friend. Kennedy, Jr.​

1999 : John friend. Kennedy, Jr. his wife, Carolyn Bessette Kennedy; and her sister, Lauren Bessette, die when the single-engine plane that Kennedy was piloting crashes into the Atlantic Ocean near Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts.
He and Elvis are sipping beach margaritas right now.

Covemastah

7/18 / 1969 U.S.A. Chappaquiddick​

1969 : A car driven by Senator Edward "Ted" Kennedy plunged off a narrow wooden bridge into a tidal pond after leaving a party on Chappaquiddick Island , Kennedy escaped the submerged car but his passenger, a secretary (Mary Jo Kopechne) who was riding with him, drowned in the accident. Kennedy was later convicted of leaving the scene of an accident.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

7/18 / 1969 U.S.A. Chappaquiddick​

1969 : A car driven by Senator Edward "Ted" Kennedy plunged off a narrow wooden bridge into a tidal pond after leaving a party on Chappaquiddick Island , Kennedy escaped the submerged car but his passenger, a secretary (Mary Jo Kopechne) who was riding with him, drowned in the accident. Kennedy was later convicted of leaving the scene of an accident.
July was a bad month for the Kennedy's.

Covemastah

7/19

1980 Soviet Union Olympic Games​

1980 : The Moscow Summer Olympics begins minus the United States and 64 other countries who were boycotting the games because of the Soviet military intervention in Afghanistan

Covemastah

7/20

1969 : The Apollo 11 astronauts made history when the first man is landed on the moon by the United States and Neil Armstrong and Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin became the first humans to set foot on the Moon leaving the first human footprints in its dusty soil. They raised their nation's flag and talked to their President on earth 240,000 miles away, and the famous words "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." was seen and heard by people around the globe.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
7/20

1969 : The Apollo 11 astronauts made history when the first man is landed on the moon by the United States and Neil Armstrong and Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin became the first humans to set foot on the Moon leaving the first human footprints in its dusty soil. They raised their nation's flag and talked to their President on earth 240,000 miles away, and the famous words "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." was seen and heard by people around the globe.
what's interesting is that we went back for several more landings and then nothing more for almost 50 years.

I read somewhere that one of the astronauts said we were told not to come back.

aliens have a base there.

oldngray

nowhere special
I wonder if Alice Kramden is up there ??
I think Bugs is still stuck there

7d2a3e.gif

trickpony1

what's interesting is that we went back for several more landings and then nothing more for almost 50 years.

Three minutes into this interview listen to what they say.
Another History Channel episode (couldn't find it) had a panel interview with the three astronauts. It was very short, very terse and very scripted. You could tell the astronauts didn't want to talk about it.
There was another History Channel episode describing why the craters on the moon are all so shallow and what the astronauts did when they left but I'll wait until the flaming stops to tell you.

Hope this helps.

trickpony1

As far out in left field as this sounds, I'm inclined to believe it.

I don't care if this helps.

Covemastah

7/23/2003

2003 : The Massachusetts attorney general report claims clergy members and others in the Boston Archdiocese possibly sexually abused more than 1,000 children over sixty years.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
7/23/2003

2003 : The Massachusetts attorney general report claims clergy members and others in the Boston Archdiocese possibly sexually abused more than 1,000 children over sixty years.
Search light was an excellent movie.
Grew up in Mass. as a catholic and went to church until my confirmation. Then parents left it up to me about church and I left it.

All the priests and nuns we kids knew were mean and :censored2:ed up.

Off the leash

Search light was an excellent movie.
Grew up in Mass. as a catholic and went to church until my confirmation. Then parents left it up to me about church and I left it.

All the priests and nuns we kids knew were mean and *ed up.
Oh yeah, had a big nun, sister Ann, in catechism, I swear she was a tranny lol. Mean? Could swing a ruler like Don Mattingly!

Covemastah

my brother was Fr Geoghans personal guard when he was being held without bail for the trial in county lockup , was supervised 24/7 in protective custody , he was the priest which led to Cardinal laws exile from Boston , he's had many ruthless people in his custody over the past 25 yrs , nobody as vile as him he told me ! Brother said once hes convivted and sent to state prison , he wouldn't last 6 months , he was right , another inmate killed him about 3 months into his sentence!