This Day in History

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
7/26

1931 U.S.A. Grasshopper Swarms​

1931 : The Midwest and heartland of the United States are in the midst of a bad drought when swarms of grasshoppers descends on crops throughout the American heartland, devastating millions of acres.

Covemastah

7/30
1975 : Jimmy Hoffa the ex president of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters is last seen in Last seen in Bloomfield Township ( suburb of Detroit ) , MI. Although presumed dead, his remains have never been found. To this day, Hoffa's fate remains a mystery but was declared legally dead in 1982.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
7/30
1975 : Jimmy Hoffa the ex president of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters is last seen in Last seen in Bloomfield Township ( suburb of Detroit ) , MI. Although presumed dead, his remains have never been found. To this day, Hoffa's fate remains a mystery but was declared legally dead in 1982.
That book and movie the Irishman was a bunch of baloney.

Most wiseguys say that author was FOS. Most agree Hoffa was put in a vat of acid. 100% agree it was the mob because Hoffa was gonna blow the whistle on mob influence in the Teamsters. And cut off Teamster loans to wiseguys.

Covemastah

2 Aug, 1934 Germany Hitler​

1934 : Adolf Hitler, the chancellor of Germany, became the country's Fuhrer (president and chancellor) today after German President Paul Von Hindenburg died.

CHEMA-DELMA

Search light was an excellent movie.
Grew up in Mass. as a catholic and went to church until my confirmation. Then parents left it up to me about church and I left it.

All the priests and nuns we kids knew were mean and *ed up.
Agree with your movie comment, Law had friends in Rome, it's a shame what happened and was hidden in MA. I also grew up there but moved away, when I go back the churches are empty and very old people attend. Here there are many young families attending and the Mass is crowded.

Covemastah

Agree with your movie comment, Law had friends in Rome, it's a shame what happened and was hidden in MA. I also grew up there but moved away, when I go back the churches are empty and very old people attend. Here there are many young families attending and the Mass is crowded.
law should of died in prison , not a cushy job at the Vatican , awful !!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

2 Aug, 1934 Germany Hitler​

1934 : Adolf Hitler, the chancellor of Germany, became the country's Fuhrer (president and chancellor) today after German President Paul Von Hindenburg died.
There is an excellent show on Netflix called something How to Become a Tyrant or something like that. The episode on Hitler was very interesting.

Covemastah

8/3

Aug, 1981 Air Traffic Controllers Strike​

1981 : 13,000 Air traffic controllers walked off the job today in hopes that the U.S. federal government would agree to their demands for better pay. President Ronald Reagan had warned them they would be fired if they went on strike and a short time later he did have them fired.

trickpony1

8/3

Aug, 1981 Air Traffic Controllers Strike​

1981 : 13,000 Air traffic controllers walked off the job today in hopes that the U.S. federal government would agree to their demands for better pay. President Ronald Reagan had warned them they would be fired if they went on strike and a short time later he did have them fired.
I recall seeing a video clip on the national news about this.
In the clip, Reagan made the comment, "I didn't fire them....I think they quit.".

I still remember that.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
that's one reason Ronnie was so popular. he was a tough SOB.
No one in the world would mess with him.

He would have nuked Russia over that cyber attack............LOL.

Covemastah

8/4/1997

On this day in 1997 the UPS strike began !
541E90D2-677F-4D32-91E8-BAF028D65806.png