This year's raises

Oldfart

Yes it was.
I thought it was Oct or so. While that was the fiscal year, expenses involved to consolidate would have diminished the immediate return. I believe you need a full year before considering the impact on the bottom line. I mispoke with my original question.

BootsOnTarmac

Courier is cat 8, dispatcher, swing, Rtd is cat 9. CSA, shuttle driver, team leader, courier-handler, DG agent is category 7. Regular airport handlers are category 6. Only job codes 7 thru 9 are eligible for a step increase.

You are correct. 7I and above are included in the step progression, all others are in the "percent of range", just like we all were in prior to the step plan.

zerocool5468

What are the odds of the steps themselves actually increasing like one member proposed? Thus step 2, in my market 17.50, actually becoming more like 17.50 + 3% or roughly $18.02.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
What are the odds of the steps themselves actually increasing like one member proposed? Thus step 2, in my market 17.50, actually becoming more like 17.50 + 3% or roughly $18.02.

Don't be surprised if it happens. You think the step 10 guys are going to tolerate it if it doesn't? "All those other people got raises, why didn't weeeeeee?"

vantexan

Don't be surprised if it happens. You think the step 10 guys are going to tolerate it if it doesn't? "All those other people got raises, why didn't weeeeeee?"
But now they're giving all those other people better money. Remember in late 90's they gave some serious adjustments to top out and have been taking care of them ever since. And expected the rest of us to pay for it with low raises and 30+ years to top out. Now they can't keep enough new hires if they don't pay them. Who's the future of the company? Definitely not old timers near retirement who already make decent pay and did better than everyone else for almost 20 years. And something tells me their "suffering" won't be quite the same as a 10+ year employee making $17something an hour.

Yomama11

Fedex pay system is a joke at best. Ive watched raises and starting pay be handed out like candy. How can a company justify hiring an individual off the street that has no experience in september and then give that same individual the same raise as the employee with 10 year of service. No individual shall receive a raise unless they have established a years worth of work should be the minimum. Swing drivers get hired off the street and will run 2 routes for an entire year but yet get the same pay as a 5 year swing who does every single route in the station. Its not a system i trust so as far as raises are concerned ill be expecting to see higher pay for the newly hired,2-7 year employees will be at the same step or 1 step below the couriers that have 5 plus years of service,8-16 year employees will be on step 3-6 depending on their market level and topped out employees get another 3% of the top out pay.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
But now they're giving all those other people better money. Remember in late 90's they gave some serious adjustments to top out and have been taking care of them ever since. And expected the rest of us to pay for it with low raises and 30+ years to top out. Now they can't keep enough new hires if they don't pay them. Who's the future of the company? Definitely not old timers near retirement who already make decent pay and did better than everyone else for almost 20 years. And something tells me their "suffering" won't be quite the same as a 10+ year employee making $17something an hour.

Doesn't matter. They have been, are, and will continue to be the ones that get accommodation. There's little chance that any group of employees will be frozen out of raises, and even less of a chance that it'll be the old people who have age discrimination attorneys on speed dial.

vantexan

Doesn't matter. They have been, are, and will continue to be the ones that get accommodation. There's little chance that any group of employees will be frozen out of raises, and even less of a chance that it'll be the old people who have age discrimination attorneys on speed dial.
But if a courier starts at 22, is topped out at 31, is he going to be able to claim age discrimination? FedEx can say this is what we offer for everyone. A 3% raise if you make say $27hr is 81 cents. At that rate FedEx would eventually catch UPS, who's drivers are locked into a five year contract. Just don't see it happening. An adjustment every 4 or 5 years maybe, sooner if inflation ramps up.

Oldfart

I've seen this. It's pathetic and wrong.
Swing drivers with less route knowledge getting paid the same as the more knowledgable swings isn't much different than a person bulking out a 900 or a Bobtruck getting paid the same as a person in a Sprinter with few boxes and plenty of documents. There will always be those that do less and make the same as those that do more.

Our Bobtruck driver is actually a courier/handler and scans and delivers more than any 3 or 4 couriers combined and makes less than they do.