This year's raises

Meat

Matter of opinion. Considering you aren't an employee are you? My station has good management. Good conditions and very little turnover.

The facts are the facts - between the TPP being replaced by the PPP in '08, and the major change to the healthcare plan in '14(?), stations that previously experienced little annual turnover began to have staffing issues. How many times in your career do you remember that temps were hired off the street at starting wages that were greater than many couriers? Being the contrary voice on a MB is fun and all, and I agree with some of your points (those that complain the most are least likely to apply for other jobs), but your view of the company is rooted in "the good ole days," and those just getting started won't have the same retirement opportunities that you have been afforded.

Schweddy

Balls
Doesn't mean they were safe drivers, meat. Theres a lot of little things that made Fedex "great" but their integrity went with the bath water. Expecting more from couriers brings on speeding, throwing, lifting too heavy, and other issues. The Carthage agents (or companies) make way more than any courier does. And it's not even guaranteed they'll deliver everything. The same and be said for swings that blow out a route by several hours vs normal courier loafing. Someone is likely cheating somewhere.

Mamagers are always after more. Especially when it involves their bonus.

bacha29

The facts are the facts - between the TPP being replaced by the PPP in '08, and the major change to the healthcare plan in '14(?), stations that previously experienced little annual turnover began to have staffing issues. How many times in your career do you remember that temps were hired off the street at starting wages that were greater than many couriers? Being the contrary voice on a MB is fun and all, and I agree with some of your points (those that complain the most are least likely to apply for other jobs), but your view of the company is rooted in "the good ole days," and those just getting started won't have the same retirement opportunities that you have been afforded.[/QUOTE} According to a recent WSJ article due to rapid advances in AI and robotic technology nearly half of all jobs currently in existence stand a good chance to be replaced in the coming years in addition to 1 out of every 4 American jobs being off shored in the very near future. When you combine these projections with the 71,000 US retail jobs lost this year alone then there will likely be difficult challenges for young adults entering the work for who do not have the unique skills and education tomorrow's economy will demand.

fdxsux

None at our station. Must be market level related. We went from being topped out to being on level 9. Guess because there was a step between where we were and step 10
At stations that went from the old B market level to the new base market level, the formerly topped out couriers are not at top of range anymore. The new base market level is the same as the old A market level (about a dollar per hour more than the old B market level). When they increased the market level last year they didn't increase courier pay ( I know, big surprise!) therefore the couriers that were topped out are still about a dollar per hour under the new top.

Oldfart

At stations that went from the old B market level to the new base market level, the formerly topped out couriers are not at top of range anymore. The new base market level is the same as the old A market level (about a dollar per hour more than the old B market level). When they increased the market level last year they didn't increase courier pay ( I know, big surprise!) therefore the couriers that were topped out are still about a dollar per hour under the new top.
Excellent explanation. People attacked me despite the fact I knew I wasn't topped out. I guess they must have been looking at my pay stub if they knew more about my pay than I did.

Last edited:

Oldfart

Your about as knowledgeable as your avatar...there are lots of drivers, at least at my station that are at step 10
Like someone so nicely explained. It was market level related. I did leave out the words "at my station" but there are plenty of people in many markets that are NOT topped out.

vantexan

Irritate, na. Humor. It easy to laugh at idiots. Really. You should get a hobby and a life. You are retired. Don't you have anything better to do.
You are my hobby. I give you something to look forward to every day. I'm thinking I deserve a Christmas gratuity for keeping you going. :)

Oldfart

You are my hobby. I give you something to look forward to every day. I'm thinking I deserve a Christmas gratuity for keeping you going. :)
Like I said. You NEED a hobby in the worst way. If keeping up with me is what you do in retirement, you should take up needle point or butterfly collecting.

vantexan

Only half as much as you and not even close to the whining that tex does.
I could say the sky is blue and you'd accuse me of whining. I said something the other day, a statement of fact, and you had to interject yourself. I think it's perfectly reasonable to say if one is 55, and looking at almost 64 until topped out, then why not retire if that option is available? Retiring allowed me to pay off almost all my debt. Almost 7 months since leaving and I'm never bored. There's so much more to life than picking up and delivering packages. If I knew that I'd be dead in 20 years why would I want to work until 67 or 70? More money? Carpe diem!

SmithBarney

Nobody is already at step 10. The people that were previously topped out made it to step 9 and this Oct will move us to 10 unless bigger stations got a different raise than I did. After I top out again, I never heard what raises will be given then but I didn't ask that question since I will be gone by then. Hopefully the 3% or so will remain.
Wrong and Right:
If you were topped in Market Level B, you ended up at Step 9.
If you were topped in Market Level A, you ended up at Step 10.