Trump's secret police in Portland

Box Ox

Whoops. Well, guess it's good that the RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCIIIIIIIIIIIST officers who were apparently like "I'm gonna bag me some (n-words) and ignore all the white crime and traffic violations tonight!" are having their unit budgets cut!

"the bureau was forced to cut its Gun Violence Reduction Team at the direction of the City Council, which has made their job more difficult.

The 34-member team was broken up on July 1 following budget cuts to police units that reportedly targeted a disproportionate number of Black people in traffic stops, according to The Oregonian. It was the first month without the unit in more than a decade."

"Portland City Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty pushed to disband the Gun Violence Reduction Team, which was called a gang enforcement unit at the time, according to the station. She did so following a 2018 city audit which found that African Americans made up 59 percent of the unit's traffic stops in 2016."

It will be fine

Whoops. Well, guess it's good that the RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCIIIIIIIIIIIST officers who were apparently like "I'm gonna bag me some (n-words) and ignore all the white crime and traffic violations tonight!" are having their unit budgets cut!

"the bureau was forced to cut its Gun Violence Reduction Team at the direction of the City Council, which has made their job more difficult.

The 34-member team was broken up on July 1 following budget cuts to police units that reportedly targeted a disproportionate number of Black people in traffic stops, according to The Oregonian. It was the first month without the unit in more than a decade."

"Portland City Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty pushed to disband the Gun Violence Reduction Team, which was called a gang enforcement unit at the time, according to the station. She did so following a 2018 city audit which found that African Americans made up 59 percent of the unit's traffic stops in 2016."
Considering there’s about 5 black people in Portland 59% of traffic stops seems disproportionate to me.

Box Ox

Considering there’s about 5 black people in Portland 59% of traffic stops seems disproportionate to me.

I'll let you in on what's going on here: the cherry picking of facts to reinforce a desired narrative.

On page 6 of the audit cited by the Portland City Commissioner:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/auditservices/article/677598

"The Bureau has not recently analyzed the Gang Enforcement Team’s stops data nor publicly reported results. The Bureau only has a brief analysis for 2015, which removed Gang Enforcement stops from the data analysis, and an analysis of gang suppression operations from 2011."

Our analysis of demographic data collected by the team shows that its stops largely affected African Americans. Of the 1,300 encounters recorded by the team in 2016, the Police Bureau has demographic data for about 800 traffic stops. Fifty-nine percent of these traffic stops were of an African American person. White people made up 24 percent of the team’s stops."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now here's a chart of Portland's overall traffic stop demographics since 2012 on page 10 of the Portland Police Bureau's Stop Data Collection 2016 annual report. I'd bet the media isn't talking about these statistics:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/689285

754.png

Last edited:

It will be fine

I'll let you in on what's going on here: the cherry picking of facts to reinforce a desired narrative.

On page 6 of the audit cited by the Portland City Commissioner:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/auditservices/article/677598

"The Bureau has not recently analyzed the Gang Enforcement Team’s stops data nor publicly reported results. The Bureau only has a brief analysis for 2015, which removed Gang Enforcement stops from the data analysis, and an analysis of gang suppression operations from 2011."

Our analysis of demographic data collected by the team shows that its stops largely affected African Americans. Of the 1,300 encounters recorded by the team in 2016, the Police Bureau has demographic data for about 800 traffic stops. Fifty-nine percent of these traffic stops were of an African American person. White people made up 24 percent of the team’s stops."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now here's a chart of Portland's overall traffic stop demographics since 2012 on page 10 of the Portland Police Bureau's Stop Data Collection 2016 annual report. I'd bet the media isn't talking about these statistics:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/689285

View attachment 304631
Black people are 5.8% of the population in Portland. It looks like they get stopped at a disproportionately higher rate than that.

Box Ox

Black people are 5.8% of the population in Portland. It looks like they get stopped at a disproportionately higher rate than that.

So, 8.8% of traffic stops, 20.2% of non-traffic stops and 59% of gang unit stops in 2016. Does that mean the Portland police are racists who hunt black people and ignore white crime and traffic violations?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
So, 8.8% of traffic stops, 20.2% of non-traffic stops and 59% of gang unit stops in 2016. Does that mean the Portland police are racists who hunt black people and ignore white crime and traffic violations?
It's called grasping at straws!

It will be fine

It would be an indicator that something is wrong in Portland. Perhaps it’s over policing of the black community, perhaps is disproportionate poverty in the black community that leads to more domestic disputes and crime. I don’t know enough of the specifics in Portland to say what part of the system is failing blacks there.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It would be an indicator that something is wrong in Portland. Perhaps it’s over policing of the black community, perhaps is disproportionate poverty in the black community that leads to more domestic disputes and crime. I don’t know enough of the specifics in Portland to say what part of the system is failing blacks there.
Or all the blacks in Portland could be criminals.

Fair and balanced, Itsy.