Uncle Larry Fink says “Work Longer” … You’ll be Happy

newfie

You can tax all earned income and it still will not be enough to fix the problem.

Many high earners will immediately switch from taking taxable income to non-taxable fringe benefits. Tax revenue will decrease as a result.
happens every time. the rich know how to move their money around .

the poor or blue collar guy depending on his 401K gets burned when higher taxes screw up his investments.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
happens every time. the rich know how to move their money around .

the poor or blue collar guy depending on his 401K gets burned when higher taxes screw up his investments.
Some high income earners like doctors have hefty debt to pay off. Should they pay much more in SS and not reap and additional benefit? High earners also invest more money, putting people to work.

vantexan

I agree the government screwed FedEx workers with that classification. I’m not sure why you would trust them with Penalizing others and taking more money from people just because you’re mad at them because you chose to work in a poor environment with low wages for so long.

So you would be OK with them moving your full retirement age up? or do you mean people who come after you? It doesn’t seem very fair.

The company you worked for without a union contract didn’t force you into anything, you were free to leave whenever you wanted. It sounds like you did just that.

The system you paid into really isn’t set up to to do much of anything more than giving you a supplement. Expecting most people to live off of it alone is a recipe for poverty in retirement.
Yeah, it's all on me. Not millions of people nationwide whose SS is at risk. About FedEx. It was a very good job at the start. And I was building a pension. It didn't start being a bad job until the early 2000's. I tried leaving in '97. Paid for that. OK, I come back, and they start giving crap raises and then the economy tanked in 2008. Where would you recommend I go during that period? Then I had the plugged up artery in 2011. Let's see, late 40's, poor health. Quit in 2013 then came back to just have a job in 2014 until my pension started 2017. But let's let my poor choices affect a hundred plus million people. Oh yeah, they're all making poor choices too. Everyone knows great paying jobs with gold clad benefits are everywhere. We're just too lazy to take them. I'm glad UPS has worked well for you. But for a lot of people in this country a good job is hard to come by. But if they do right by a company and work hard then the least that company can do is match their SS. And people making $400k+ a year can take the current max payment and be just fine if it helps keep the system solvent.

vantexan

You can tax all earned income and it still will not be enough to fix the problem.

Many high earners will immediately switch from taking taxable income to non-taxable fringe benefits. Tax revenue will decrease as a result.
We're not talking about jacking up income tax. People making up to $400k aren't going to be any worse off than before. People.making over $400k would only see their SS taxes kick in again on income above $400k. Otherwise everything is the same.

How are they going to spend fringe benefits?

Thebrownblob

Yeah, it's all on me. Not millions of people nationwide whose SS is at risk. About FedEx. It was a very good job at the start. And I was building a pension. It didn't start being a bad job until the early 2000's. I tried leaving in '97. Paid for that. OK, I come back, and they start giving crap raises and then the economy tanked in 2008. Where would you recommend I go during that period? Then I had the plugged up artery in 2011. Let's see, late 40's, poor health. Quit in 2013 then came back to just have a job in 2014 until my pension started 2017. But let's let my poor choices affect a hundred plus million people. Oh yeah, they're all making poor choices too. Everyone knows great paying jobs with gold clad benefits are everywhere. We're just too lazy to take them. I'm glad UPS has worked well for you. But for a lot of people in this country a good job is hard to come by. But if they do right by a company and work hard then the least that company can do is match their SS. And people making $400k+ a year can take the current max payment and be just fine if it helps keep the system solvent.
I’m certainly not blaming you, but I am saying whenever it’s convenient for you to deviate from your rugged individualism as a Conservative, you have no problem, dropping all your values And asking the government to penalize those who make more than you, which is a trait of people who you are constantly bad mouthing on this website. Seems to me you have a little bit of hypocrisy.

Thebrownblob

We're not talking about jacking up income tax. People making up to $400k aren't going to be any worse off than before. People.making over $400k would only see their SS taxes kick in again on income above $400k. Otherwise everything is the same.

How are they going to spend fringe benefits?
Why is it any of your business how they spend it?

Last edited:

vantexan

I’m certainly not blaming you, but I am saying whenever it’s convenient for you to deviate from your rugged individualism as a Conservative, you have no problem, dropping all your values And asking the government to penalize those who make more than you, which is a trait of people who you are constantly bad mouthing on this website. Seems to me you have a little bit of hypocrisy.
I'm dropping all my values? I'm flat out saying after a lifetime of working hard to make someone else wealthy the least they can do is assist in my retirement. Or do you think that conservatism means exploiting others but no responsibility to the those that work for you?

Thebrownblob

I'm dropping all my values? I'm flat out saying after a lifetime of working hard to make someone else wealthy the least they can do is assist in my retirement. Or do you think that conservatism means exploiting others but no responsibility to the those that work for you?
But it was your own choice to make someone wealthy. Every single bit of this you chose. This is what you want until the time comes and now you want to penalize others? Are you OK with them raising your retirement age to 75?

Thebrownblob

But see you were not exploited. You were willfully ignorant and that is completely different.

vantexan

That’s only partially true and you know it, every single one of us lost spending power in the last 3.5 years. Your problem is much deeper.
It's true for me so how is it partially true? And you want to shutdown this argument by making it strictly about me. You guys talk about FedEx employees rejecting a union but for some reason can't get that UPS is one of the few private companies left with a union. You benefited from all those who went before who literally fought to get a union yet act like those of us who want to see programs in place that help us keep the lights on and food on the table are a bunch of slackers. It's not about living it up, it's about existing. If you think all the elderly should have their SS taken away and just do their best to stay alive then I don't know what else to say.

Thebrownblob

It's true for me so how is it partially true? And you want to shutdown this argument by making it strictly about me. You guys talk about FedEx employees rejecting a union but for some reason can't get that UPS is one of the few private companies left with a union. You benefited from all those who went before who literally fought to get a union yet act like those of us who want to see programs in place that help us keep the lights on and food on the table are a bunch of slackers. It's not about living it up, it's about existing. If you think all the elderly should have their SS taken away and just do their best to stay alive then I don't know what else to say.
It’s not an argument about anything other than what you said, and who you claimed to be. My general point is you are a chameleon who change his colors whenever it’s convenient.

Your failure plan and to make good life choices is no one else’s fault but yours. That is what being a conservative actually is and you are not one of those. Not that I think there’s anything wrong with not being a conservative. I’m just pointing out your hypocrisy.

vantexan

But it was your own choice to make someone wealthy. Every single bit of this you chose. This is what you want until the time comes and now you want to penalize others? Are you OK with them raising your retirement age to 75?
Every job is about making someone else wealthy. All those companies out their paying lousy pay are about making someone else wealthy. That's what we'll do. There will be no more big corporations with a lot of employees. We'll all be owner/operators running our own little business. Nope, no employees anywhere because that'll make someone else wealthy.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

Every job is about making someone else wealthy. All those companies out their paying lousy pay are about making someone else wealthy. That's what we'll do. There will be no more big corporations with slot of employees. We'll all be owner/operators running our own little business. Nope, no employees anywhere because that'll make someone else wealthy.
And you had every right to not work at FedEx or to open your own business just like the free market would’ve allowed you to, but you were not interested in that. I’m not a fan of big giant corporations myself, even though I work for one I can assure you if I felt that I was being exploited I would not work where I currently work.

vantexan

It’s not an argument about anything other than what you said, and who you claimed to be. My general point is you are a chameleon who change his colors whenever it’s convenient.

Your failure plan and to make good life choices is no one else’s fault but yours. That is what being a conservative actually is and you are not one of those. Not that I think there’s anything wrong with not being a conservative. I’m just pointing out your hypocrisy.
Yah because half the population are all making poor choices and they must accept their fate. It's about winners and losers.