Uncle Larry Fink says “Work Longer” … You’ll be Happy

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
FedEx employees had/have no chance of joining a union because of their classification under the Railroad Labor Act.

No problem with moving the full retirement age up.

Am I taking from someone for myself? I paid into the system just like they did and my monthly payment is nowhere near the top payment. Even less than the average payment. If a company pushes people to accept less and less so that management can live well than the least they can do is help pay for their employees' retirement. If you benefit most from our system then you should have to pay more. If you aren't willing to work then you shouldn't get anything. Everyone else in between should have enough to at least get by. If they want more than that then move into management or start a company.
Well let’s take it a step further, eliminate the cap, and deny those filthy rich folks ANY of their money back.

That’ll show ‘em not to go getting rich!

Blaming someone for exploiting you says a lot about you, too!

vantexan

That’s kind of the way I always looked at it. Most places only owe you a paycheck unless you have some sort of contractual agreement to get more.

The majority of people in the country were fooled by politicians to believe they did not need any sort of representation and we are seeing how worked out over this generation. My grandparents generation was heavily unionized and had great retirement.

Now those people that believe the lie are coming to the end of their working careers and many of them are going to be living hand to mouth.
You think that there has been plenty of union opportunities out there? Many unions did themselves in being corrupt.

vantexan

Well let’s take it a step further, eliminate the cap, and deny those filthy rich folks ANY of their money back.

That’ll show ‘em not to go getting rich!

Blaming someone for exploiting you says a lot about you, too!
Yah, because there's no real exploitation in the system going on. Good jobs are a plenty. Great benefits too. And yes back in 2010 I was ready, willing, and able to vote for a union. I spoke up about it at work plenty. Just about every topped out employee was against it. Funny how when you're doing reasonably well you don't want anyone upsetting the apple cart. Might be your apples that get damaged.

vantexan

I would, but I would also like them to actually keep their promises and not keep moving the ball. I’m quite sure I will be fine as I am really not that far away from retirement. My kids, however, may not be so lucky and that is going to be a huge problem..
Didn't you raise them to be rugged individualists who don't need a government check?

Thebrownblob

Didn't you raise them to be rugged individualists who don't need a government check?
Absolutely but it still isn’t stopping the government from taking that money from them that they could’ve otherwise invested wisely on their own.

But you know this, it’s not voluntary it’s compulsory. It is what it is and I I am fine with it except for when people like you want what you’ve got coming to you, but don’t care about those behind you nor do you care about those who do better than you. Because like I said when it comes to yourself, you have no problem, dropping your values to stick to the man.

I am only pointing out your hypocrisy, not whether or not the program is good or bad.

I also raised them to accept their own decisions and mistakes as their own, and not blame some bad rich person when things don’t go their way.

Thebrownblob

You think that there has been plenty of union opportunities out there? Many unions did themselves in being corrupt.
Have you ever heard the term? Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater? Well that’s what your generation did. Now you’re reaping what you sow.

I don’t find joy in it.

As a young Union employee, I got to listen to fools make fun of the fact that I was in a union and didn’t need to be. many of them similar to you. Had I been silly enough to listen to them I would probably be in a similar situation.

Thebrownblob

Thanks. But it's hard to feel exploited when you have high pay and excellent benefits that let you take care of your family.

Imagine you work hard all year and you get a 2% raise which for that year for me was 32 cents. But topped out employees who made about $6hr more than me got 3% on higher pay. Around 70 cents. Year over year the topped out pulled away from us while starting pay kept being increased so that Someone just starting was making less than $2hr less than what I was at 12 years since being rehired.

Or they tell you every year in a glossy brochure tailored to your work history what you can expect to get with your pension. Then they offer to let you choose to remain in your pension or voluntarily take the new pension newhires are under. If you chose the new plan guess what? They were lying about letting you stay in the old plan but if you stayed they gave you extra money to make up for the transition(a ripoff). But if you voluntarily went into the new pension you didn't get the transition credits. Knew guys who lost as much as $12k on that.

Easy to say why didn't you just leave but there are plenty of reasons why people don't. But we certainly felt exploited at times.
Nope, it isn’t easy to say my friend. I evaluated all those opportunities and could see from a very young age that you were getting ripped off that’s not my fault you could not see that nor could you make a move to better yourself.

I appreciate the fact that you think I had it easy. My wife and I chose for her to stay home with our kids so I was the only income. I made good money and had great benefits. We were not rich. We did not take tons of vacations. We did not buy new cars. Invest
I saved an invested as much as I could, and now I am approaching and I’m out in my 401(k) that has six zeros behind it. That does not include my pension nor my Roths.

Do I feel lucky? Not really, but I do feel blessed. But those blessings only came with me being willing and having a small amount of intelligence.

vantexan

Absolutely but it still isn’t stopping the government from taking that money from them that they could’ve otherwise invested wisely on their own.

But you know this, it’s not voluntary it’s compulsory. It is what it is and I I am fine with it except for when people like you want what you’ve got coming to you, but don’t care about those behind you nor do you care about those who do better than you. Because like I said when it comes to yourself, you have no problem, dropping your values to stick to the man.

I am only pointing out your hypocrisy, not whether or not the program is good or bad.

I also raised them to accept their own decisions and mistakes as their own, and not blame some bad rich person when things don’t go their way.
Who is sticking it to whom? Someone who is making $550k a year is suddenly going to have to pay 6.2% on $150k that he wasn't before. The untold suffering that is going to cause. Tell all the people making less than $40k a year that they'll have to do without or a lot less because people making millions refuse to pay more.

Every major corporation in this country who collectively employ about half the workforce has things set up to go their way. All I've ever said is fine, but don't forget the employees who helped you get the nice life. Who did without. Asking companies to match our 6.2% is the least they can do.

Thebrownblob

Who is sticking it to whom? Someone who is making $550k a year is suddenly going to have to pay 6.2% on $150k that he wasn't before. The untold suffering that is going to cause. Tell all the people making less than $40k a year that they'll have to do without or a lot less because people making millions refuse to pay more.

Every major corporation in this country who collectively employ about half the workforce has things set up to go their way. All I've ever said is fine, but don't forget the employees who helped you get the nice life. Who did without. Asking companies to match our 6.2% is the least they can do.
L O L you’re making my point. I’m perfectly fine with it. You pretend you’re some sort of free market conservative. You are a complete and total fraud. It’s really nauseating actually.

Unlike you for 30 years, I’ve did everything I could to fight for as much fairness and equality in the workplace as possible. I did not roll over or bend over like you did.

and you did it all while telling people just how they should live. smh

vantexan

Nope, it isn’t easy to say my friend. I evaluated all those opportunities and could see from a very young age that you were getting ripped off that’s not my fault you could not see that nor could you make a move to better yourself.

I appreciate the fact that you think I had it easy. My wife and I chose for her to stay home with our kids so I was the only income. I made good money and had great benefits. We were not rich. We did not take tons of vacations. We did not buy new cars. Invest
I saved an invested as much as I could, and now I am approaching and I’m out in my 401(k) that has six zeros behind it. That does not include my pension nor my Roths.

Do I feel lucky? Not really, but I do feel blessed. But those blessings only came with me being willing and having a small amount of intelligence.
And a job that paid well as well as covered your family's medical expenses and gives you a good pension. I thought I was going to get that at FedEx. Can't begin to tell you how many people over the years thought I had an amazingly well paid job. Many people thought it was better than UPS. That was FedEx propaganda. My co-workers talked about that many times, the perception people had of FedEx. If I had only known if I had chosen to leave FedEx then all the problems of SS for millions would've been solved. It was my poor decisions that put SS in the bind it is don't you know. Small amount of intelligence got me here.

Last edited:

vantexan

L O L you’re making my point. I’m perfectly fine with it. You pretend you’re some sort of free market conservative. You are a complete and total fraud. It’s really nauseating actually.

Unlike you for 30 years, I’ve did everything I could to fight for as much fairness and equality in the workplace as possible. I did not roll over or bend over like you did.

and you did it all while telling people just how they should live. smh
Did I now? All I've ever told people is they should work hard because the only thing that works is hard work. I was naive and believed if I worked hard for someone they'd take care of me.

Again, if free market conservative means you have the right to exploit others then count me out. I'm a social conservative. I'm also not a tax and spend liberal. But I do believe in a safety net.

You know what? I watched FedEx year over year strip our benefits and stall our pay. And they weren't the only one. Now it's the government's turn. They're on a path that's unsustainable. Pretty soon most will be poor. Except for those you are hellbent on defending.

Thebrownblob

And a job that paid well as well as covered your family's medical expenses and give you a good pension. I thought I was going to get that at FedEx. Can't begin to tell you how many people over the years thought I had an amazingly well paid job. Many people thought it was better than UPS. That was FedEx propaganda. My co-workers talked about that many times, the perception people had of FedEx. If I had only known if I had chosen to leave FedEx then all the problems of SS for millions would've been solved. It was my poor decisions that put SS in the bind it is don't you know. Small amount of intelligence got me here.
Great, but you knew what it paid, and you chose to stay. For better worse that was your choice. You were not exploited. Underpaid.? Sure at some point in our life, all of us have been underpaid or felt so and changed or moved on.

vantexan

Great, but you knew what it paid, and you chose to stay. For better worse that was your choice. You were not exploited. Underpaid.? Sure at some point in our life, all of us have been underpaid or felt so and changed or moved on.
That's true, because there are millions of well paid jobs just waiting for all of us underpaid.

Thebrownblob

Did I now? All I've ever told people is they should work hard because the only thing that works is hard work. I was naive and believed if I worked hard for someone they'd take care of me.

Again, if free market conservative means you have the right to exploit others then count me out. I'm a social conservative. I'm also not a tax and spend liberal. But I do believe in a safety net.

You know what? I watched FedEx year over year strip our benefits and stall our pay. And they weren't the only one. Now it's the government's turn. They on a path that's unsustainable. Pretty soon most will be poor. Except for those you are hellbent on defending.
Well yes, I am hell-bent on helping people get what they deserve. But the fact is those people have to be willing to fight, were you?

Thebrownblob

That's true, because there are millions of well paid jobs just waiting for all of us underpaid.
No, actually there’s really not and a very good reason for that is a lot of the things you say you believe in that didn’t pan out. But of course, now when the rubber meets the road, you don’t believe in them at all and it shows not gonna argue with you anymore. It’s pointless. You’ve never seen it your whole life you’re not going to see it now.

I do not think you’re a bad person just misguided and very hypocritical.

vantexan

No, actually there’s really not and a very good reason for that is a lot of the things you say you believe in that didn’t pan out. But of course, now when the rubber meets the road, you don’t believe in them at all and it shows not gonna argue with you anymore. It’s pointless. You’ve never seen it your whole life you’re not going to see it now.

I do not think you’re a bad person just misguided and very hypocritical.
Oh I know exactly what you're saying. But you represent the "well I'm doing well so everyone should too" crowd. You don't get it either.

Red Headed Stranger

You pay in you more should get more.
I don't disagree, but the folks who are already raking in millions a year in salary really won't need that extra $1000 per month in Social Security income. The average American who will retire with barely a 401(k) will need to have the assurance their Social Security will not be shaved by 30% in 10 years when Social Security is forecast to become insolvent.

Thebrownblob

Oh I know exactly what you're saying. But you represent the "well I'm doing well so everyone should too" crowd. You don't get it either.
Not at all. I’m representing the hay. You better join a union and get some protection crowd, you know the crowd that you ignored your whole career and now I want to throw a fit because you’re screwed.

How’s that working for you?