UPS hasn't bought any new pkg cars this year, avoiding promised AC.

JL 0513

Here we go...

Somewhat surprising that country wide, not one new pkg car has been added all year. However, also believable because we've seen more cuts this year than in a long time due to lost volume. Also follows the fact that UPS bought a ton of new ones through the pandemic when volume shot up.

Seems like the union is expecting UPS to just replace vehicles with plenty of service life left just to fulfill the AC agreement. That's not how this works. The fleet is younger than I've ever seen and I was expecting to wait 10 years to see AC commonplace.

Last edited:

Pullman Brown

Here we go...

Somewhat surprising that country wide, not one new pkg car has been added all year. However, also believable because we've seen more cuts this year than in a long time due to lost volume. Also follows the fact that UPS bought a ton of new ones through the pandemic when volume shot up.

Seems like the union is expecting UPS to just replace vehicles with plenty of service life left just to fulfill the AC agreement. That's now how this works. The fleet is younger than I've ever seen and I was expecting to wait 10 years to see AC commonplace.
Nothing to see here. The state of journalism in this country is appalling. This is a click bait piece with no context and understanding of the situation. I don’t know why the Union would be displeased with the situation-the company hasn’t broken the contract. There is no specific language forcing the company to have a certain amount in by a certain date.

Last edited:

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
The back of the package car is the real problem.
Screenshot_20240622_224449_Gallery.jpg

PT Car Washer

Here we go...

Seems like the union is expecting UPS to just replace vehicles with plenty of service life left just to fulfill the AC agreement. That's not how this works. The fleet is younger than I've ever seen and I was expecting to wait 10 years to see AC commonplace.
We have one Ford Van that is used as an EAM delivery truck with air con. Strange that most of our newer trucks the last 10 years come standard with air con.

textat3

They can keep their ac far as I’m concerned. I would have rather had a larger raise and no AC. My mom, who is a very senior, senior citizen lives in a100 plus year old farm house without AC. She opens windows….doesnt even have a window unit because she thinks they look ghetto.

10:30 resi

I'm sick of hearing about our brothers and sisters dying of heat stroke out there and if it is even possible that AC in package cars could help in any way with the issue then I am all for it. If you don't want AC you don't have to turn it on. If it costs the shareholders some money, who cares? We make them plenty of it.

87brown

I'm sick of hearing about our brothers and sisters dying of heat stroke out there and if it is even possible that AC in package cars could help in any way with the issue then I am all for it. If you don't want AC you don't have to turn it on. If it costs the shareholders some money, who cares? We make them plenty of it.
I have been working for this company since 1987. I don’t how do you think you’re going to pull a vehicle down when you have to shut it off after every stop here in Florida it gets extremely hot. There’s no way you will cool that vehicle down during Covid. We had Penske trucks with air conditioning in them and it didn’t work. Yes it did when you drove a far distance but as soon as you stop, the vehicle, made a delivery got back in it and had to go to the next stop, which is how many feet in front of you it’s never gonna work, try and get back with me. It’s ridiculous.

Pullman Brown

Serious question: do you think with in a given year drivers are more likely to die from a car accident or heat from the back of the truck? Or die from not eating well?? The evidence seems to be that heat related deaths are very very very very small-I’m all for AC but let’s not twist the evidence and make it say something it doesn’t. We are a fearful soft society especially MEN and this heat issue is a perfect example.

I have been working for this company since 1987. I don’t how do you think you’re going to pull a vehicle down when you have to shut it off after every stop here in Florida it gets extremely hot. There’s no way you will cool that vehicle down during Covid. We had Penske trucks with air conditioning in them and it didn’t work. Yes it did when you drove a far distance but as soon as you stop, the vehicle, made a delivery got back in it and had to go to the next stop, which is how many feet in front of you it’s never gonna work, try and get back with me. It’s ridiculous.
I think that if you are in a remote area where there is not a building with air conditioning open to the public near you, being able to idle the package car and take a cool-down break in the A/C when you begin experiencing symptoms of heat illness could prevent the situation from getting out of control.

Serious question: do you think with in a given year drivers are more likely to die from a car accident or heat from the back of the truck? Or die from not eating well?? The evidence seems to be that heat related deaths are very very very very small-I’m all for AC but let’s not twist the evidence and make it say something it doesn’t. We are a fearful soft society especially MEN and this heat issue is a perfect example.
Good point, maybe we should ask for SRS systems next contract. If there was a way for UPS to spend a couple hundred dollars per package car to fix the problem of the American diet I would suggest they go ahead and do that. Any non-zero number of heat related deaths at work is too many for me.

PT Car Washer

You can say the same thing about heat in northern climates.