UPS profit = Raises?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't know if you worked there or were a driver than, but they ran the least amount of routes possibly and treated every worse that even now when the economy hit the crapper and it was still making money. Just not like now.
Yeah was nothing compared to now. At least not here. Easiest peaks I ever worked.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
This company and this pathetic union hasn't been giving out reasonable wage increases for decades. If you bothered to read the article from earlier in the week, a part timer preloader in NYC made $7.50 an hour in 1978. With inflation and real money value that's equal to $28 an hour today.
Corporate America and their cronies in government have been destroying the middle and lower classes since the 1960s.

$7.50 in 1978 → 2017 | Inflation Calculator

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
This company and this pathetic union hasn't been giving out reasonable wage increases for decades. If you bothered to read the article from earlier in the week, a part timer preloader in NYC made $7.50 an hour in 1978. With inflation and real money value that's equal to $28 an hour today.
Corporate America and their cronies in government have been destroying the middle and lower classes since the 1960s.

So that 40 year employee is making less than $28?

brown_trousers

An employee that was hired in 1978 at $7.50 an hour, would currently be making over $35 an hour for part time inside work.

SolidWoodPanel

That's the point I'm making. The company has profited tremendously but real wages remain stagnant. It's pawned off on the rising costs of healthcare. Everyone should be paid more.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Hubs aren't modernizing fast enough because the Union won't allow it. The loss of jobs through improvements in technology is strongly opposed in the contract.
Nothing will really lower the workforce by a significant amount until they can fully remove the human from the equation. Drivers are safe for now, preloaders also, unload and sort may be the first to go.
Most of their technology that is supposed to work side-by-side with workers are a complete failure
And this is because of a common problem technology faces: getting a machine to interact with or replicate what a user does is often the hardest design element.

SolidWoodPanel

Nothing will really lower the workforce by a significant amount until they can fully remove the human from the equation. Drivers are safe for now, preloaders also, unload and sort may be the first to go.
Most of their technology that is supposed to work side-by-side with workers are a complete failure
And this is because of a common problem technology faces: getting a machine to interact with or replicate what a user does is often the hardest design element.

Driverless cars are supposed to role out in 2-3 years. Could be a rough turn after a decade here...I for one, though, don't want a robot computer driving me around. That would suck.

SolidWoodPanel

And that means you cannot modernize? So your idea of modernization is to get rid of union employees?
Why invest millions, if not billions, on technology when it isn't trimming your margins...? AI technology won't be creating thousands of jobs. It will be eliminating them

PT Car Washer

Working inside, would be making as much per hour as a FT driver and collecting pension checks while still employed here at UPS. That employee would be making a very decent living. Probably more than many FT drivers
The only way you could collect a pension check and still be working is if you were over 71 years old. We have one PT and another FT Union employee in my building doing both. They have their own reasons for still working. Like making over $150k/yr working PT or FT doing next to nothing.

SolidWoodPanel

The only way you could collect a pension check and still be working is if you were over 71 years old. We have one PT and another FT Union employee in my building doing both. They have their own reasons for still working. Like making over $150k/yr working PT or FT doing next to nothing.
There's a 73 yr old in my hub. Driver. He has probably one of the greatest routes in the country. 153 miles. About 35-60 stops a day. I used to pull his truck. Never saw more than 160 pieces. He's had it for a while now so he's chill. Happiest guy wearing browns.